Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's do you apply paint for powwows face paint..etc??? do you apply paint for powwows face paint..etc???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2003, 02:46 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ladybeadworker is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
do you apply paint for powwows face paint..etc???

do you adorn yourself with face paint for powwows/ dancing???
Men and Women, i want to know what everybody thinks!!!
ladybeadworker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
Riverwoman

I don't personally do that, put paint or decoration on my face for powwows. Just personal preferance thats all ;)
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2003, 05:51 AM   #3
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Yeah. I like to draw a white line or red line on the side of my eyes. Nothing big or fancy.
superndngyrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
it's tradish that the ladies of my fam wear red triangles by the side of our eyes
the guys of our fam also wear red triangles...but they have much more paint and detail than us ladies...
i always like to watch the men get painted and to hear the story behind our family paint..it's interesting and makes me feel good that we still keep that tradish goin'...
rezcar3 likes this.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

Nooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond reputeNooksak has a reputation beyond repute
I have atthe last powwow i went to in peroia illnois, but that was after i had a chance to meet msot of the poeple there and i knew it owuldint offend anyone(becasue im not ndn) but otherwise i dont.

"remember an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth! that wayt the whole world will be blind and toothles!
Nooksak is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2003, 05:45 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

piperchick is an unknown quantity at this point
not face... hair!

I love the look, but don't feel right doing it cuz in my research my tribe (cherokee) has no record of female face paint (if you know different, tell me where to find!)... but i like to have *something* besides barretes and jewelry on my head (lots of ppl in texas have eye paint and several grass dancers have full-face)!

I found that for fall dances 'way back when' my peeps would paint their hair yellow and red (to represent corn)... they used ochre and animal grease-- i use brush in hair color from a costume shop; color is intense at the part and blends into my natural dark brown color by chin (my hair is waist-length)... i like the look, it's "something different" and i've had no comments negative or positive on it, so i suppose no one really notices (guess it doesn't help that i'm taller than most of the ndn ladies in my area- just 5'8" plus shoes!)

-D
piperchick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

paint

as for me i know i do apply paint. especially if im dancing traditional!!!:)
Old 06-12-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Re: not face... hair!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piperchick
[B]I love the look, but don't feel right doing it cuz in my research my tribe (cherokee) has no record of female face paint (if you know different, tell me where to find!)...

i've never heard of a tribe that didnt paint, male or female, ...you should ask some of the cherokee tribal members about it though just to be sure.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:19 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

piperchick is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry if i wasn't too clear; cherokee guys did a lot, but females rarely... i've never seen any cherokee females w/ paint to ask (nor have i seen photos or writings describing painted women), and i am fairly new to the arena; i'm going on history and helpful ppl; i'm far away from clan elders and family elders died en-masse last august.

-d
piperchick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2003, 11:35 AM   #10
49 Coordinator

out_snaggin will become famous soon enough
Sometimes I wear an occasional line or set of dots by my eyes, but I love it when men put cool designs on their faces! :2:
I like to wear glitter too, on my eye lids and in my hair, adds a little sumthin...
out_snaggin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2003, 02:52 AM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

c_lady_native is an unknown quantity at this point
Does make-up count?:Angel: cause if it does then yah i wear paint....;)
Quote:
Originally posted by out_snaggin
Sometimes I wear an occasional line or set of dots by my eyes, but I love it when men put cool designs on their faces! :2:
I like to wear glitter too, on my eye lids and in my hair, adds a little sumthin...
c_lady_native is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #12
hidatsachic24

never do...if i did i would wind up scratching my face
during the whole entire powwow...holloween when i was little girl i was wonder woman(dont laugh people) my momma put paint on my face and i totally started to break out...after that i said no more..i think i would be too afraid of messing up my complexion...
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2003, 06:30 PM   #13
Pork chopsh n appleshaush

Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
I wear it at ceremony and will occassionally wear it for a p-w. It's a design my Grandma and Aunties gave us when we reunited with our sisters. It' four markings in two rows coming to a point at the end where the four of our paths met. It's to depict the markings of a rattlesnake, the representation of my mother's people.

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:
Dezgn8veDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2003, 06:49 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

peekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond repute
NO SORT OF PAINT FOR ME. BUT I HAVE SEEN SOME REALLY NICE DESIGNS OUT THERE IN NDN COUNTRY. THAT IS COOL THAT YOUR FAMILY GAVE YOU THAT DESIGN FOR YOU AND YOUR SISTERS RUNNERZ. I HAVE ONLY SEEN ONE WOMAN WEAR A FULL FOREHEAD OF RED PAINT AND TWO WHITE LINES FROM UNDER HER EYES TO JAW LINE. OTHER THAN THAT IT'S BASICALLY BY THEIR EYES. THE MEN PLENTY OF MAKE UP.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:52 PM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

traditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond reputetraditional dancer has a reputation beyond repute
I've never worn face paint but I think I might this summer - if I ever get finished making these damn repairs on my outfit!! I think i looks really good on men if they do it right and don't get too carried away :p
traditional dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2003, 03:08 AM   #16
THE HIPPIE KILLER

Speedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedy™ has a reputation beyond repute
I always get painted up. The paint to me is another part of my regalia. Its design is unique to the dancer, or at least it SHOULD be. I know there is always a similar design out there, but you know when someone is just straight up copying your look. As you all know, certain colors and certain designs mean different things. If you choose to wear it, do your homework first before slapping it on. Make it mean something to you.:chief:
Old 07-23-2003, 05:04 PM   #17
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Don't do something unless you know why!!!!

Each tribe has their own reasons for painting. Some tribes no longer tatoo (face) but use paints to symbolize ancient designs.

Other tribes (both men and women) have been painted by a person who has that right. Sometimes this paint will be applied when a person enters the dance arena for the first time or is given their Indian name.

Some designs are family or personal designs - so BE CAREFUL. Indian people will not take this lightly.

Many tribes use paint as a protection.

But I will go on a limb and predict that powwow fashion will eventually include women's facial paint to match the outfit.

It's coming - mark my words!
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2003, 01:46 PM   #18
Its qooo man!

NAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond reputeNAPEW has a reputation beyond repute
I know some buds who use paint only as jewelry whose tribes never wore paint and only do for pow wow does this make it wrong or go against there tribes way this posses the question of what the pow wow really is. Some people are given the right to wear paint for a signifecant acomplishment,family event,personal goal, so when you see someone with paint do you ask who gave them the right or take there word for it?
NAPEW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2003, 11:37 AM   #19
Senior Dancer

theepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond repute
No way I dont put paint on.
Dont want to cover up THIS beautiful face of mine.

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:
theepowwowchic49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #20
WE ARE MAGNUS THE AMPLE

The Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond reputeThe Rat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 737.76
I put black stripes under my eyes to cut down on glare from the sun. Apparently it makes me look like an (even bigger) a$$, so I don't think I'll be doing it anymore :p