Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Do you dress at the pow-wow or at home? Do you dress at the pow-wow or at home?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2003, 04:29 PM   #61
Experienced

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Savings: 0.00
Cool Do you dress at the pow-wow or at home?

Why get dressed at home? That takes away half the fun.

When I go to a dance, especially a campout for the weekend deal, I camp out with a bunch of friends and/or relatives. We all dress together, sharing stories and asking questions about some new outfit part no-one has seen you wear before. It is a social event, very relaxed with plenty of time to get ready before grand entry or the first bell (it's a southern thing).

It is important to remember that in the old days, and to some extent, even today, Ponca Hethuska Society and Osage Inlonschka Society members (Straight Dancers) are representatives of their families. In the days when the Ponca made camp in Tipis, they clustered in clans or groups of relatives with a common ancestor. When the Hethuska Society had their Dance Ceremony, most all of a man's relatives would help him make a good and respectful image while in the dance circle. It was said that a man's power and political strength was derived in part by the support of his relatives.

When a Hethuska Society member was dressing for a dance, it would not be unusual to see his female relatives braid his hair, help him put components of his dance clothes on in their proper place, and tie thing on. It was thought that how the dancer looked was a reflection of the devotion of his family, and it was believed that a Hethuska Society member was "put in the circle by his family".

When a Hethuska dancer took his seat in the dance circle, most of his family would sit in the area behind his location, with his wife or mother sitting directly behind him. They would make sure that each time the dancer sat down, he would not accidentally sit on delicate parts of the dance clothes. (How many Straight Dancers have accidentally sat on their Otter Dragger.) The dancer's wife or mother could be sean fixing the placement of a component of the dance clothes appearing out of place, like the shoulder scarves, etc.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2003, 10:14 PM   #62
*~*~ Is Tha Prototype*~*~

Crow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond repute
Crow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 222.99
Dress in tha car when i gets there :p
Old 10-12-2003, 04:44 PM   #63
THE ULTIMATE MULTITASKER

oOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 320.00
Quote:
Originally posted by NDNKIDZ
My kids always wait till they get there and then they dress. We always leave early look around and then get dressed:)
Yup..thats what I like to do!
oOoSouthernStyozoOo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2003, 06:54 PM   #64
a Peace of.........

Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
Usually I like to dress at the dance.....but once in awhile...I like to dress and home and go out with my regalia....and see the reactions the white people have to seeing the Big Indian....LOL....geez sometimes I would love to have a camera to record the looks I get....:D :D :D :D :D
Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 AM   #65
T.K.O.

saukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
saukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond reputesaukpuppet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 90.00
just depends how early i get there
Old 10-18-2003, 12:21 AM   #66
Tiny Tot Dancer

BIG CHEEKS is an unknown quantity at this point
....always at the powwow so the cheeks can hang out and be seen....:Naughty :JawDrop
BIG CHEEKS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #67
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
The pow-wows and at home or motel if I get a late start.
Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #68
Tiny Tot Dancer

WICAPI WANJI is an unknown quantity at this point
At the Powwow... always....if its indoors then in the restroom.....outdoors then in the parking lot at the back end of the truck or van but if at camp grounds well then in the teepee or tent ........:) ....Dokca.....
Old 11-01-2003, 05:35 PM   #69
Teen Dancer

biidabinukwe06 is a name known to all
i have my hair braided at home so that gives me more time to hurry up and finish getting my beadwork and dress on about half an hour before it all starts. then i just hang out at the car till it's time to get down and jingle!!:Chatter :)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #70
Powwows.com Princess

Items Panda
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,530.89
depends.............

but i usually wait until I get there to put on all of my beadwork.

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

ugidali is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #71
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,024.83
Savings: 1.00
My earlier response was for a regular Powwow dance.

As Historian mentioned about our Inlonshkas. Now, when I go to the Inlonshkas I dress at the House at the Pawhuska Osage Village, Pawhuska District dance. I have on a rare occassion actually got to attend Greyhorse Dist. dance. I would dress in the Pawhuskas area for gathering to eat and dress.

At Pawhuska I dress at the house and walk to the Wakon Iron for visiting when ever I get dressed soon enough. Sometimes I just have to go in to be seated. Yes it is true that our women do primp us and some times overly daunt on us. I have occassionally been sent back to my room and change some part of my clothes. They iron my scarves, wash and iron my shirts, ect. Normally once dressed I am still together through the end song.

Last edited by CHEROSAGE; 02-22-2011 at 03:26 AM..
CHEROSAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #72
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,928.95
Savings: 1.00
I don't get dressed until Grand Entry or I hear a Round Dance song. (Many powwows do both, the vast majority do one or the other.)

Takes me about 10-15 minutes.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #73
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
I do my hair at home but get dressed at the powwow.

Yeah, I've seen full and partial regalia on folks at WalMart. I've also gone to a few urban powwows where I rode the city bus. Once I saw a fellow passenger in full fancy shawl regalia. Interestingly, none of the other riders batted an eye.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #74
Teen Dancer

Items Present
sbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond repute
sbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond reputesbarnes88 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,563.38
I normally wait until at the Powwow grounds to get dressed.(NORMALLY) lol, I have got dressed a few times before when we were running late or something, at least have the dress on and my hair finished.
sbarnes88 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #75
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
I have 4 girls to braid up and get ready, plus myself.

If it's a close powwow we usually do hair and maybe put on our dresses at home, but add the beadwork and such at the powwow. We usually change for dinner break and do some our looking around then.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #76
Southern Women's

tonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond repute
tonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond reputetonepahhoter1 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,837.23
I get dressed at the powwows.....I'm used to changing in front of people.....doesn't bother me.....gonna get my new stuff started this spring.....see y'all on the powwow trail :)
tonepahhoter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #77
Pow Wow Visitor

SarasMusic is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 116.68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
I get dressed at the powwows.....I'm used to changing in front of people.....doesn't bother me.....gonna get my new stuff started this spring.....see y'all on the powwow trail :)
I dress at the powwows also...it's just easier. I do get my little daughter dressed before we go. I braid her hair and get her ready. I think it's just a lot easier to get her finished as much as I can before I get there. That way when I get there I can get going and not have to worry about her that much.

- Sara

----------------------
SarasMusic is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links