Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Elder's Only -- Seating Elder's Only -- Seating

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 03:49 PM   #21
Retired

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Awahili is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Wakalapi
Tiny Tots? Needed a bath, did they? :Angel: :Chatter
Oh oh OH I did goof didn't I? You did give me a laugh.
I'm used to the Trail Of Tears Pow Wow in Hopkinsville Ky being called TOT! No where near the vendors, the dancers that there used to be, the only good thing about it was the weather! But I have heard on the radio them talking about so many more people attended than in the past. So I guess things work out somewhere don't they? I have seen (and danced in the past) so many dancers they all barely fit into the arena during Grand Entry!So many people are getting fed up with raising the prices to the Vendors that many didn't bother coming this year. Usually we have a dozen or more at a time in contest and this year they were lucky to have 5 show up to contest.

No the tot's were adorable as always. That's always my favorite dances to watch to see those tiny ones out there giving it their all.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:49 AM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

ped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to beholdped xing is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Tibiki Kinew
I hate to say it the buck never stops, why are people so [email protected] racist and prejudiced, come on folks this is now the 21st century and it still is going on.

Where is the Love Your Neighbour attitude?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:28 AM   #23
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Were we at the same Pow Wow , Grand Entry took two rounds for everyone to enter . The dancers were wonderful . Now intertribal was another matter but that always is .
If one person shows up to enter the circle an dance that is a beautiful thing . When it becomes all about money then we have lost what it truely is all about. Just my 2 worth.
WolfTears is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #24
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
In comparison to the past, this was the smallest Pow Wow at Hopkinsville. I've been to all but 4 out of the 16 that they've had, and I agree weather wise it was definatly one of the best! We didn't get there in time to be in the Grand Entry but we watched, and yes it was one of the smallest I've ever seen there! But also I agree with MenNie Turtles, that to have anyone dance at all was wonderful! So it all depends on how you look at things. It was still a great Pow Wow. Just not as big as it normally is.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2003, 03:39 PM   #25
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Elder Seating and Trail of Tears PW

In response to the Elder seating, I have always seen Elders in Oklahoma or South Dakota Pow-Wows treated with respect, no matter what race they are. In my opinion, treating elders with respect and courtesy is not just good NDN manners, but part of being a good human being.

As for the discourteous NDN lady first mentioned in the elder section... growing old is mandatory, gaining wisdom along the way is optional. Just because someone is older, does not make them wiser in some cases.

As for the Trail of Tears Pow-Wow last weekend, I too was shocked at the small dancer turnout compared to other years. However, it did not rain, and it was not as hot as it was last year, so I still had a wonderful time dancing. Anytime you have that many good singers at a dance, a dancer can't help but have a good time.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2003, 04:16 PM   #26
Retired

Awahili is an unknown quantity at this point
:Cry This is the first year that I had to sit out the dancing at any Pow Wow. To me that in itself STUNK! I enjoyed the Trail of Tears for what it was. But I still wanted to be out there not stuck in this nasty chair.

How many of you who went danced? I know Tsiniti and her daughter danced. They were of the few who even acknowledged my presence and even made a few of the people crowding the entrance move to give me room to see! I saw the awning that MenNie Turtles talked about, and I know Grady and Shiela. I agree Grady is not only a true Gentleman but an excellent Flutist as well. I saw Feathers there as well, but haven't seen her on this site since before the Pow Wow, hope all is well with her.

Historian I wish I had met you! You sound like a good person! Which one were you?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:15 PM   #27
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Trail of Tears Pow-Wow

Thanks for the "good person" comment. I hope to earn that title.

Anyway, on Saturday afternoon, I was one of the Straight Dancers, with a dark green shirt and gold ribbons, yellow and green hide leggings, semi-floral beaded aprons on navy wool broadcloth, a turkeybeard roach, an otter fur and grizzly claw necklace and an elkbone set of hair plates. If you can recall someone like that sitting on the north side of the dance circle, it would have been me.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2003, 06:28 PM   #28
Pork chopsh n appleshaush

Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I think it's great to see designated areas for "Elders Seating" at the pws. Regardless of the elder's particular nationality, elders should be able to sit where there is an available seat. I have attended other cultural events, the Japanese Obon Festivals, the Irish Highland Games, the Vietnamese Tiet Festivals, etc., point being....:) all these events have an "Elders Seating" guest area.

Granted, most of these cultural events are attended by their own people, but always is there seating for visiting guest elders. Let's not be the exception....

:huddle: :huddle: :huddle: :huddle: :huddle:

Just my humble opinion....:)

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:
Dezgn8veDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2003, 10:08 AM   #29
Senior Dancer

Items Present
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,499.29
when i went to Eagle Butte powwow, the first two rows of bleachers were painted yellow for elders to sit which was a good idea, but i try to be respectful and not get in ANYONES view when i videotape.
thizgirlpowwows is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2003, 03:23 PM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

rbees is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh yes this is very agreeable.
A few times when we arrived at the pow wow I had to sit way in the back. I was not able to see too much.
I did not want to bother my family or friends with having me squeeze in my chair and other belongings.

When I see the section reserved for Elder's Only I am pleased. I know I can sit and enjoy watching the dancers.
It is nice when the committee will offer us water as well. That is such a kind gesture.
A shame not all committee's think of this. They will learn though, possibly.

Blessings to You All.
:)
rbees is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2003, 10:56 AM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
I THINK THE INDIAN LADY NEEDS TO THINK IF THE CREATOR LETS HER LIVE TO A RIPE OLD AGE WILL THE WHITES LET HER PARK IN THE HANDICAPPED SPACES AT STORES OR USE RAMPS AT THE PUBLIC BUILDINGS WE ARE ON TURTLE ISLAND BUT WE NO LONGER CONTROL HER AND YOU ARE RIGHT SOME OF OUR PEOPLE THINK AGE MAKES YOU AN ELDER SHE WAS NOT TAUGHT IN THE OLD WAY AND SOME DAY MAY SEE THIS:o
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

timjn is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 146.03
I have to agree!
timjn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links