PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow FAQ's (http://forums.powwows.com/f40/)
-   -   feast day (http://forums.powwows.com/f40/feast-day-66683/)

milehighsalute 10-05-2012 11:36 PM

feast day

sorry, its NOT a pow-wow by any means
......but i recently went back to taos for our feast (san geronimo)......i hadnt been there in years and things have changed....white people....TONS of them.....well i guess they are welcome because they buy frybread at $4 and squash blossoms for $1500 a pop...BUT....as "in tune" as they convince themselves they are of our culture they sure do walk around giving inaccurate descriptions of whats going on and act like they know more about us than we know about ourselves.....not to mention they stand in front of elders, and younger people jumped in front of my mom on shuttle twice to get back to parking lot because "they were in a group"..........and inviting themselves up ladders on top of peoples houses just because they have ladders out....and despite being told at parking lot, entrance, and by numerous signs NO PICTURES....they think its ok to pull out cell phones and take pics anyways...i seen a few get thrown out and they were actually angry thinking the ndns had no right to do so...then one kept correcting me when i described indian bread and indian pies as "native american"...cmon...im NDN i can say indian all i want and so can someone else,..that is NOT the actions of people who respect indians....feast i9s for US not them....if they wanna take pics of indians so bad they should wait till taos pow-wow....i wsnt racist until i came back....but fugg religious freedom i want religious PRIVACY

at least the local hispanic population (which i am also a part of as well as pueblo/ute) knew the drill....if annyone ever plans to go to a pueblo feast they are alot of fun.....but at least hit me up for the rundown on basic manners beforehand.....i would do the same at your events

AmigoKumeyaay 10-07-2012 02:24 PM

There needs to be a LARGE SIGN at the entrance, and a couple of spokespersons in regalia informing these spectators that this is a cultural/spiritual event with PROTOCOLS.

These people should know they are not attending a rock concert, Seaworld, Disneyland, etc.

Tell these people HOW they will be expected to behave, and show respect to Elders, Veterans, and Tribal Chair/Chiefs, etc.

Charge up front for cameras: $5, $10, $20 etc and say it is going to the Elders lunch or dinner fund, or a tribal child development/health/education fund.

Each event should have a defined CULTURAL LIAISON person that attendees can talk in person with, and get matters set straight from the git-go.

Last night at the Chumash Powwow, a Hippie couple told me they were waiting for the "Free Dance" where anybody could enter. I knew they were describing an Inter-tribal dance, but I just nodded.

They were in their early 60's but the wife got in the circle later on and was absolutely jammin' like a white hippie woman warrior, and ON THE BEAT. Good for her!

Other than that, they were quiet and enjoyed watching everything, except the husband trying to give me filming tips LOL, but I just smiled and nodded.

Zeke 10-09-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1550638)
There needs to be a LARGE SIGN at the entrance, and a couple of spokespersons in regalia informing these spectators that this is a cultural/spiritual event with PROTOCOLS.

These people should know they are not attending a rock concert, Seaworld, Disneyland, etc.

We could just cease putting on shows for the masses? :thinking:

If we charge $$$, that's what we're doing... Imagine the entitlement if a guy paid $20...

DEEpcloud444 10-09-2012 03:18 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this event...We can always learn humbly what behavior is appropriate, respecting the culture/traditions of those who are so kind as to share a meaningful event with us.

AmigoKumeyaay 10-09-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1550787)
We could just cease putting on shows for the masses? :thinking:

If we charge $$$, that's what we're doing... Imagine the entitlement if a guy paid $20...

It is kind of a SYMBIOTIC relationship, until the guests turn into parasites.

1) The vendors lay down serious cash to set up their booths

2) The committee needs that cash for their outlays

3) Some of the vendors bring much NEEDED items to repair/replace regalia, or Native jewelry, art, Etc Etc Etc

After that, then comes the tipping point...... the vendors selling junk food, SUGAR, GREASE, & Made in CHINA Junk

America has been dumbed-down to expect carnival food & junk toys....a Happy Meal and a toy...

What's the opposite of dumbing-down?

milehighsalute 06-26-2013 07:36 PM

dammit.....i missed san juan feast on monday because my mom got sick.......oh well we will try to make it to santa clara or santo domingo feast

some tribes feast is just getting bigger......some tribes they are getting more private