Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's honor cali tribes at cali pow wows honor cali tribes at cali pow wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 01:44 PM   #21
Pork chopsh n appleshaush

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Gold_toothed_dancer
We aren't seen so when some of us do dance in our cali traditional way we are seen as weerdos or looked down cuz we aren't in grass or fancy bustle or for the ladys fancy or jingle. I think the aztecs dancers get more respect more then us cali peeps and there the peeps that pratically wiped us out the spanish with their missions and the mexicans.
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*

There is a lot of truth to what you say GOLD_TOOTH, but I know a few CA Indian dancers who refuse to dance at pws because they fear the New Ager's may 'adopt' the dances and songs. This includes the bear, acorn, salmon, naming, deer, harvest, sunrise, water, even send-off ceremonies...:Angel2 (just to name a few). Living in CA we have an enormous amount of tribal affiliations represented and I agree we often don't see the sharing of CA tribal dances, but as a CA Indian myself and listening and talking to other CA Indians, both family and non-family members, I'd rather our dances remain an entity for our own People, rather than "a show" for the masses....:)

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:
Dezgn8veDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #22
Tiny Tot Dancer

WICAPI WANJI is an unknown quantity at this point
" A show for the masses" I like that you know because its so true....back in the day when the modern day powwow was still considered a ceremony like the Sundance and the lodge ect it was held as sacred "THE GRASS DANCE" the originators (at least in our beleif) the Lakota and the Ojibway held this dance sacred but nowadays it is very commercial and mostly show... we have guys just young lads really wearing full eagle bustles eagle staff everything the works but I doubt that theyve earned most of those, I mean really I have enough feathers for a full bustle and then some but i havent worn them or even assembled anything out of them yet because I feel i havent earned them yet I do wear Eagle feathers but I can account for all the ones I wear!! not many out there can!! anyways...besides the point I to agree that we should keep many of the ceremonies , Bear, Deer, and sunrise ect.. seperate from the outside because they arent for show and they should be held sacred Although I am also a powwow peep I know the difference between social and ceremonial If we dont bring Sundance and sweats to powwow then why should Cali peeps bring ours...( Im a Breed) out. It feels good to be able to go to ceremony out in the boonies with no spectators no outsiders just skins doing what weve done for centuries there alot of power there we need to keep it that way...Dokca :D
Old 10-31-2003, 08:30 PM   #23
Junior Dancer

Gold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Yo show for the masses is what it comes down to no matter how you look at it. I can't say I agree with how sundances are run but from the friends I have who dance there are some who feel the same. I dont' want that for our dances. There are some bear dances where whites are there and I won't dance at those they sit there with there cameras and talk through it al and its just pisses me off. The grass dance I heard was a dance much the same way our flicker dances are and if I saw peeps dancing at a pow wow like they do the grass dance I'd be pissed because many don't know the history behind it and just want to dance just to show boat and I think it is commercializing what these dances truly are wicapi. I'm with yoj on the pow wowing and all that because I'm a pow wowin fool to but when do we draw the line for what type of dance we cali share? I think we need to be seen but then I don't want to see us be ripped apart by wannabees and new agers.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #24
Tiny Tot Dancer

WICAPI WANJI is an unknown quantity at this point
I know man its true....but what do we do?? like you said if we come out and show any more then its like you said just a show but if we dont then we dont get recognized....its a tough situation thats why Ill only dance powwow in honor of my Lakota side in public but keep the Cali ceremonial on the DL....until our elders say when and where we can dance.....Dokca...
Old 11-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #25

ndnkidz_5 has a spectacular aura about
I see what ya all are saying....yes I would like to keep Cali dance for tradish perpouses away from the PW sence...but it would be nice if some PWs would have cali dancer or more dancer would showed up dress cali tradish......once up in N.cali a young Hupa girl danced at a local PW dressed Hupa style and it was sooooooooo cool to see her.
Maybe have Cali skin included in the grad enrty, or as head staff wearing cali style tradish.....??? I mean Laokta dance at PW but they do not Sundance there......we can danc eat PW just keep our ceramonies back home. But at least show alll these relocated skins that THERE ARE SKINS IN CALI WHO ARE NATIVE!
Them relocated need to stop acting like there were no other Natives living here before they came.....hummm that attituded sounds familiar........maybe they got that attiduted from the ???
ndnkidz_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #26

Hey runnerz....thanks for the support,,,,,,adn I got yoru back to if ya start dancing CAli stylle need any sewing or any thing else I'll hep ya get what ya need if I can. Hey we should do a quilt with cali designs each square repesenting a basetket patterns from diffrent cali tribes. Yous still going to quilt huh....do not say no either ......one of these days Iam going to come visit you and we will get started.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:57 PM   #27
VOTE ME ~ 4 CALI GOVERNER

Gah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond repute
ndnkidz that sounds like a vundulful idea about the quilt!!
We can make a fun weekend out of it all of us!!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:45 PM   #28
Senior Dancer

VIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond repute
One of these dayz I'll find time to make my ribbon dress. I finnally have my beaded cape and beaded strung necklace. We dress similar to Mohave's and Cocaphas. And evening trying to find someone to make you any part of our clothing is almost impossible. I think it's so sad not a whole lot of young people are taking an interest these dayz. Will have to pick a pw where we all can grandentey togather.:p
VIP4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2003, 12:43 PM   #29

Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by ndnkidz_5
Hey runnerz....thanks for the support,,,,,,adn I got yoru back to if ya start dancing CAli stylle need any sewing or any thing else I'll hep ya get what ya need if I can. Hey we should do a quilt with cali designs each square repesenting a basetket patterns from diffrent cali tribes. Yous still going to quilt huh....do not say no either ......one of these days Iam going to come visit you and we will get started.
Yes, as Sis mentioned, 'we can make weekend of it'. Mending Nations is still going strong, I'm so glad, have "Hodger" contact me and all us original quilters can have a big renunion...., that'd be sweeet! WALLFLOWER, you're more than welcome to join us!

Old 11-06-2003, 01:23 PM   #30

hey ok I' am going to cordinated this too all cali skins who want to.... I talked with my Yurok quilter and she is in on it too.....I'll snend any one who wants to do it, a square with material to "draw, cut out, and iron on the square a "basket design" using your tibes design. Then I'll applique the iron on design....once that is doen we can all meet some where in cali and put the blocks together and creat a boarder pattern for the quilt......then we can use it to honor Cali skins who make great progress for Cali skins???? what ya think? it would be pretty easy to do. We can meet some where in cali.... Gold Tooth, Wicap Wanji you guys in? If you can not sew just send your design and I'll do the rest!

Oh ya and Wall fower if you need help sewing ..just let me know....I'll help ya out!...I just love my sewing machine! Yup spent all my last years Tax retun on it! CArzy huh....but worth every dime...or should I say every grand.....
Old 11-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #31
Senior Dancer

VIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond repute
You can just feel the love in here today. Wow did'n know you ladies in here quilt. That's cool. Thats' something i've always wanted to do. If I did I'd have to build another room to my house. But who needs a dining room really. Thankz for the offer ndnkidz Ill keep you in mind.:p
VIP4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2003, 12:41 AM   #32
Junior Dancer

Gold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Not diggin the quilting thing but tell you what I'll tell my mom and sisters about it. Cool idea there.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:49 PM   #33

YA one year when we all worked at Indain Health we started a group called "Mending Nations" So we couls all kick out some quilts.....ya a cali quilt will be cool...when we are done I'll have to put up pics in the callery so every one can see......then Lakota start quilters ai'nt got nothin on us cali ladies..........aye....better watch my mouth for my ma-in-law hears me:Angel:
Old 11-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #34

Quote:
YA one year when we all worked at Indain Health we started a group called "Mending Nations" So we couls all kick out some quilts.....ya a cali quilt will be cool...when we are done I'll have to put up pics in the callery so every one can see......then Lakota start quilters ai'nt got nothin on us cali ladies..........aye....better watch my mouth for my ma-in-law hears me:Angel:
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*

"Mending Nations" was so fun! Girl, we had a lot of fun back then didn't we? Awwww, the good ol' days.... 'member my nickname....."One who Irons On"....LOL!!!!

Old 11-10-2003, 06:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally posted by Runnerz
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*

"Mending Nations" was so fun! Girl, we had a lot of fun back then didn't we? Awwww, the good ol' days.... 'member my nickname....."One who Irons On"....LOL!!!!
The cool thing is they are still doing it a t the health center, and teh group has busted out with a few nice quilts. Hodge is going to start it up in Jan....so i'll come down to check it out. Hey what happen to you on Friday night?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #36

Quote:
The cool thing is they are still doing it a t the health center, and teh group has busted out with a few nice quilts. Hodge is going to start it up in Jan....so i'll come down to check it out. Hey what happen to you on Friday night?
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*

Hodger is awesome....! We cut out early because "Pyscho" was getting me sick to my stomach, constantly staring, I could just "feel" his ugly eyes burrowing into me....it was gross...:Yell...plus Natey feel asleep and to tell you the truth, it was pretty boring..... So we cut-out early but not before detouring to the wharf and getting some seafood delights.....:Music:, it was so delicious!

Old 11-12-2003, 06:43 PM   #37
Senior Dancer

theepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking I aint

a Cali indun buuh would you mind if I sent in a square?that is a cool name Mending Nations
You know you should start upa powwows.com quilt and ne1 that wants to send in a square represen their tribe can send it to ya.
i like doing quilt work to just dont have the time or patience to do a whole one these days.

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:
theepowwowchic49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #38

hey thepowwowchick49

Great idea...I think I will do that ! Probably not till after the hoidays...cuz I am doing soooooo many projects now....I got finsih up a jingle, fancy, and work on the cali quilt. Then we can all do one with all of our Nations designs! Folks can send me thier work and I can put it all together and then we can do something we them....give aways, fundraiser for a chairty, ?????
So look for the thread the 1st of Jam 2004!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:25 AM   #39
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
Okay, so Iím not Cali bred (me bein' Mvskoke an Sicangu) but I am Cali/NV raised. My siblings' family is Paiute/Miwok and enrolled in Colleville/Bridgeport, I think Antelope Valley band.
So I grew up with the SoCali Paiute ways more than the Mvskoke ways.
I know it used to piss my Dad off royally that there were so few REAL Calis out there wearing their OWN traditional outfits. All of my "Cousins" would powwow wearing plains style stuff and dancing like the Lakotas, and it really made my Dad and my Gramma L. mad.
My Gramma L. and her brothers and sisters all used to speak Nummu to each other, but my "cousins" and my siblings can only speak a few words. They used to do the old songs and prayers and dances and now I think it is only my step dad that does those things in the family, and it's really sad because the Nummu ways are beautiful.

And I think it's really F*cking rude and a very whitey thing to be doing for these Doots to be having powwows in your territory without so much as a please or at least an acknowledgement to you their Hosts. Because that's exactly what you N8ive Calis are: The Host Nations.
Mebbe the tribal councils should start pointing that out to these "transplants". It shocks me how many powwows go on over there without a single Cali on even the powwow comittee.
I wonder if it would shame them if the Cali Elders called them to task for it?

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #40

oh yes....:clap: :clap: way to say it!
Sponsored Links