Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's honor cali tribes at cali pow wows honor cali tribes at cali pow wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #81

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndnkidz_5 has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Re: Re: Re: Poom-Poom Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancin by the bay
Sounds like my kind of party how do I get there I never had fryed sea weed before. You going to be dancin ndn5.

:D
No we are not dancing (not Pomo)...the strawberry festival we are talking about are Pomo, up in the North bay it's really fun, one is at Kuli Lo Ko, and the other is Ya Ka Yama. the Kuli Lo Ko one is in and I do not have the date for the Ya Ka Yama. It's a lot of fun...you should come since yoru in the bay area.
ndnkidz_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #82
Pork chopsh n appleshaush

Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Poom-Poom Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by ndnkidz_5
No we are not dancing (not Pomo)...the strawberry festival we are talking about are Pomo, up in the North bay it's really fun, one is at Kuli Lo Ko, and the other is Ya Ka Yama. the Kuli Lo Ko one is in and I do not have the date for the Ya Ka Yama. It's a lot of fun...you should come since yoru in the bay area.
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*

Hey girl, stop hitting on DANCIN.... :31:...LOL....teasing of course....:). Ndn5, let's go early, get the best seat in the "house"....:clap:.

~ Ah nech me hewet ~ :49:
Dezgn8veDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #83

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poom-Poom Baby!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dezgn8veDriver
~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*

Hey girl, stop hitting on DANCIN.... :31:...LOL....teasing of course....:). Ndn5, let's go early, get the best seat in the "house"....:clap:.
[/QU
Your so funny...lol...hey ya were up early anyway, Ishi man loves it there he's ready to go now! I'll cook it up realy good...lots of good eating, oh ya and go carting! Maybe we will have a new trampoline by then? oh ya you can check out teh new ccute bunnies! you can even take one hoem with ya!!! and a kids too......who says I do not give great hostess gifts....hey and my older one do dishes.....
Old 03-27-2004, 04:32 AM   #84
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
Cool who's house!:)

Hey this is a good post.

FYI...my friend Jo from southern cali just called me and told me they have a gig down at Gatherings this year...singing bird songs. cool no ;)

Anyhow, I'm from WA, but I use'ta live in pasadena during the summers. I went to powwows down that way, but I never really saw any cali dancing. I never knew ya'll felt so strongly about being acknowledged, but it makes total sense reading these posts...

I'm kinda facing the same situation here in Seattle.

I'm on the UW powwow committee, and every once in a while Coastal Natives come up to me and ask why we have a Powwow when Powwows aren't even a part of the Coastal Culture.

I tell them that a lot of the UW students come from tribes that do Powwow. We do want to have a Coastal Gathering at UW, but there aren't many of us familiar with the Coastal culture.

If you really feel strongly about Cali native culture being acknowledged...then maybe you should approach a powwow committee near you & tell them how to go about doing it.

That's my perspective...being on the flip side of things.

as it happens....I contacted the duwamish & suquamish tribes (tribes of Chief Seattle) to ask them to Welcome the Powwow folks with their welcome song before each grand entry at the UW powwow. the most difficult part of that was making the right contacts in the duwamish & suquamish tribes...so if you can help the powwow committee out...i'm sure they'd welcome it.

:cya:

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #85

Good idea about doing a wellcome song from the local cali tribe at the PW begining. Most of PWs' are put on by "inter trible goups" in the San Fran bay area...ie colleges, title -9, ect.....I think when you get a bunch of diffrent ndn's together not from cali they do not even realize to including the local peeps to be apart of the planning process and/or including them into PW at all.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #86
Is It Powwow Time Yet???

westcoast_player is on a distinguished road
Credits: 50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_toothed_dancer
yo what up with the pow wow orginizors not inviting or having cali tribes at the pow wows. It was cool at oroville cause the pomo were invited. I would be good for other tribes to see cali indians way but hardly no pow wow here in cali even do that. Were still here man and the orginizors need to honor the first people of cali.

there are powwows who do recongize cali ndns u just have to find them.
westcoast_player is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2004, 07:29 PM   #87
Junior Dancer

Gold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_player
there are powwows who do recongize cali ndns u just have to find them.
yo westcoast player that's like looking for a needle in a haystack you should know that. :rofl2: uwn8iv do you see the dancers up there looking for some exposure northern exposure. Here in cali its plain and simple we just don't get respect even from skins from other states that migrated here. Must have to do with all these hippy and wanna bees who live here in cali and make things worse for the REAL DEALS. the true skins of cali. Even on here all these skins come on here and diss each other and start threads saying what tribes you hate or can't stand. yo theres no cause for it then we wonder why we skins backstab and keep each other down. Yo the europeans did played that game we dont' need to go that way. Yo all you true cali skins keep yo head ups and live the life you know.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:45 AM   #88
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_toothed_dancer
uwn8iv do you see the dancers up there looking for some exposure northern exposure. Here in cali its plain and simple we just don't get respect even from skins from other states that migrated here. Must have to do with all these hippy and wanna bees who live here in cali and make things worse for the REAL DEALS. the true skins of cali.
@ "northern exposure"

between seattle, boston, NYC, n' LA...i would say that LA has the strongest urban-native community. hands down.

n' cali tribes tend to be small in population n' spread out (look at one of those rez maps n' u'll see all the little dots all around cali)

I think that's why the urban population of natives n' pan-ndn culture tends to overshadow cali culture & cali tribes are invisible to most everyone except for TIME magazine.

so uh...."that's my two:)"...

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #89

Dezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDezgn8veDriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnkidz_5
******~*******~********~********~

You still planning on going? Remember, I like strawberry pancakes and "freshly" squeezed OJ for breakfast....Ahhh!...LOL....

Old 04-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #90

ya I still want to go......Ishi has track till 12:00, but I think it's starts in the afternoon......http://www.mapom.org/publicevents.htm...ops my bad it starts at 12:00 - 2, I could get there at 12:30 ish.....
Old 04-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #91
VOTE ME ~ 4 CALI GOVERNER

Gah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnkidz_5
ya I still want to go......Ishi has track till 12:00, but I think it's starts in the afternoon......http://www.mapom.org/publicevents.htm...ops my bad it starts at 12:00 - 2, I could get there at 12:30 ish.....
Dont forget your crate of strawberry's!! I can pick up from the Wetty here at the corner for $8.00!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gah-Gah!
Dont forget your crate of strawberry's!! I can pick up from the Wetty here at the corner for $8.00!
******~**********~*********~*********

How mean "Wetty"... :7: Anywho, I beat you to the punch, I already got a crate, enough for the whole dance troupe....LOL...

Old 04-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #93
Junior Dancer

tradishjingle is a jewel in the rough
does anyone know what the ucla pow wow is like? how many places, categories, drums and etc. thanks
tradishjingle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #94
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
UCLA (puffs up chest, my alma mater) is pretty cool. All categories, three places.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2004, 10:56 AM   #95
Junior Dancer

hey, thanks for replying, can you recommend any hotels nearby.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #96
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
There's a Holiday Inn right across the way off of the 405 FWY near Sunset, I believe. You can see the hotel from the Sunset entrance.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #97
Blackfeet truth

ShadowHawk is a jewel in the rough
Excellent points Dezgn8veDriver.

I myself can attest to your adoption assessment. My father was Blackfoot, my mother was Hawaiian. They both passed away when I was about a week old in a tragic accident and being their only child, I was "given away" to another family (non-native either way) to raise. As I was growing up I would ask questions about my father and no one would tell me anything at all - to this day I don't know why. Now, most of my family have all passed away and sadly I will *never* know about my father and his family. I don't even know his birthdate or anything pertinent about him that I can use to trace my ancestry. :(

Because I grew up in Hawaii I learned the culture and everything wonderful it had to offer. Unfortunately, I will never have that blessing with my indian side.

~Mist~

HELP! I'm being stalked by my shadow! :Jumping:

Hyena's laugh because they know what's coming next :1:
ShadowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2004, 08:41 PM   #98
Tiny Tot Dancer

transientsmiles has a spectacular aura about
One of my favorite small pws had a whole section dedicated to the (Southern) Sierra Miwok tribes, and they are invited out to do a few of their own dances.
I love seeing the different dance styles and wish that more people would just get out there and do their own thing - represent your tribes!
transientsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 AM   #99
California Basket Weaver

Chukchansi_Chick is a jewel in the rough
Granma asked if there were any cali dancers at pechanga? Bird singers?
Chukchansi_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #100
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukchansi_Chick
Granma asked if there were any cali dancers at pechanga? Bird singers?
no, there wasn't any bird singers. i am not a cali indian but i love to hear them sing and i enjoy the cali dancers too. we did have one cali native dancer in grand entry on sunday though but that was it.
Sponsored Links