Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's How much Native American Indian does someone have to be to dance in a powwow? How much Native American Indian does someone have to be to dance in a powwow?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #121
gtbdave

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 185.78
Savings: 0.00
Yeah, I was trying to be facetious, maybe not too successfully. From what I understand, there are not too many benefits anyway, everything is means tested, if you have any kind of income, or job, you don't qualify for much anyway. It's about the same as any place, Tribal member or not Tribal member. There are land claims and such, but many Tribes has settled those things long ago. I guess for our Tribe, the reservation is a good place to retire, and many do. I don't know if I will retire there, I'm pretty much settled where I'm at, and I doubt if I could afford the reservation anymore, too many rich dudes. That seems ironic, you get too poor to retire to the reservation, or the reservation gets too rich.

I don't know so much about dancing at Pow Wows, it just seems to me that dancing should be open to all Tribal members, or even those with ancestry. It just seems too restricted, too many rules. I'd guess that there isn't anyone checking all of that stuff, and there really is no accurate, unfailing way, to check. I know I'm not going to go out there to check anyone. I just assume that anyone out there dancing and having a good time, is somehow connected to some Tribe, no matter what they look like. I guess it's appropriate to have some kind of rules on contest dancing, or some of the royalty, but even that royalty thing can go to extremes, making it so restrictive that if you meet the entry requirements, you've probably won.
gtbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #122
wakalapi wacinkte

Tiki has a reputation beyond repute
Tiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
my opinion about contests and royalty is this: I am unsure what to think about contests in regards to tradition but the royalty thing I very much believe that the most important factor should be what these girls have done within the community that they are running for royalty for.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #123
gtbdave

gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 185.78
I like the role model thing, contestants should have achieved some level of success in academics, and have positive goals for career/vocation.
gtbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #124
wakalapi wacinkte

Tiki has a reputation beyond repute
Tiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdave View Post
I like the role model thing, contestants should have achieved some level of success in academics, and have positive goals for career/vocation.
I can't believe I forgot about that aspect. you're right
Old 06-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #125
Thank u 2 our soldiers!!!

Dakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Mato has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdave View Post
Sounds like sovereignity. Each Tribe elects their own leadership.

Some board posters insist that some CDIB card carriers are not Indian enough to dance. They have superceded Tribal Governments, Tribal laws, Tribal Constitutions.
That's kinda my question and why I started this forum. So how much Native American Indian is not enough to dance?
Dakota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #126
Pow Wow Visitor

MizDances_WithWavez is an unknown quantity at this point
I Just Want To Dance

I have read with great interest this entire forum. I am grateful that I am allowed to dance, even though I am at the roads end with my heritage. I have the marriage certificate of my great great great grandmother, it simply says under name Bird and Indian. She married my grandfather in Virginia.
It's not important to me to be accepted, or issued a card. What is important to me is to understand my heritage. I am so glad to know that many of you allow me to do this.
No one taught me to dance, it is just within me. My Sister told me that she watched me dance and my foot steps matched exactly those of the sweet fullblood I danced next to, except her behind was bigger, I don't know if I should kiss her or hit her!
To keep those of us without cards out of the circle would for sure serve two purposes, deny us the right to gain knowledge of our heritage, and in the long run you may well be denying someone of an actual heritage much stronger than your own.
I respect each of your opinions and I refuse to respond to any kind of hate.
I will be adding pow wow pics from the Trail of Tears pow wow in Hopkinsville, ky soon, hope you enjoy them.
MizDances_WithWavez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #127
Pow Wow Visitor

Sandikline is an unknown quantity at this point
I
Sandikline is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #128
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizDances_WithWavez View Post
I have read with great interest this entire forum. I am grateful that I am allowed to dance, even though I am at the roads end with my heritage. I have the marriage certificate of my great great great grandmother, it simply says under name Bird and Indian. She married my grandfather in Virginia.
It's not important to me to be accepted, or issued a card. What is important to me is to understand my heritage. I am so glad to know that many of you allow me to do this.
No one taught me to dance, it is just within me. My Sister told me that she watched me dance and my foot steps matched exactly those of the sweet fullblood I danced next to, except her behind was bigger, I don't know if I should kiss her or hit her!
To keep those of us without cards out of the circle would for sure serve two purposes, deny us the right to gain knowledge of our heritage, and in the long run you may well be denying someone of an actual heritage much stronger than your own.
I will be adding pow wow pics from the Trail of Tears pow wow in Hopkinsville, ky soon, hope you enjoy them.
Boozhoo,

First of all every nation (meaning tribe or rez) has the right to either make a pow wow arena open to the public or not.

Second, even if they did deny you to dance with them, it is not denying you of your heritage. You are who you are and no one or nothing but Gitchie Manidoo can change that. You first must find yourself which it seems that you did. Then you find your traditions. These must be learned by learning the language and customs of your tribe. Even if you do not dance, that is not denying you of traditions. For the most part pow wows are intertribal, so there not too many customs being displayed there. Grass dance and Jingle dress, yes, but the other styles not so much so.

Customs and traditions can be displayed in regalia however, and that is something that you too, must discover. Give tobacco and ask some of the dancers at the pow wow you know are from your tribe, and ask of the significance of their regalia. If you make your own regalia and go to dance, no one will question your heritage.

My mother was enrolled, I am not, my blood is too thin. But I have my regalia, and I go dance, and no one, ever, questions my heritage at the pow wow.

Derek
Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #129
Was Dakota Mato

blue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond reputeblue eyed Mato Hota has a reputation beyond repute
(I'm the one who started this forum, just had to get a new account, cause I forgot my password).

Thank yous to all who posted on here!! I posted the question, cause I have curly, curly goldish/blondish hair and don't look indian. I kinda got discouraged about what if people thought I was a wannabe. The only way you would know is if I told you how much and what my last name was. Otherwise I've gotten weird looks like "there's no way youre indian." If I didn't tell you about my heritage.
blue eyed Mato Hota is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #130
gramma de

gramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond reputegramma de has a reputation beyond repute
no, you dance..if they are saying you have to be this much indian to dance than I wouldn't dance there.I've seen and now lots of intermarried and not married young people that have children that can't be enrolled and they come from really Indian families. They live on the reservations, they go to school there and they dance.You should be welcome in any circle,during a intertribal and the only thing you need to remember is to be respectful.I have danced many times with no shawl, ...when I have been visiting somewhere.
gramma de is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #131
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,527.66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdave
Sounds like sovereignity. Each Tribe elects their own leadership.

Some board posters insist that some CDIB card carriers are not Indian enough to dance. They have superceded Tribal Governments, Tribal laws, Tribal Constitutions.

Dakota Mato:

That's kinda my question and why I started this forum. So how much Native American Indian is not enough to dance?

Quote: blue eyed Mato Hota (was Dakota Mato)

(I'm the one who started this forum, just had to get a new account, cause I forgot my password).

Thank yous to all who posted on here!! I posted the question, cause I have curly, curly goldish/blondish hair and don't look indian. I kinda got discouraged about what if people thought I was a wannabe. The only way you would know is if I told you how much and what my last name was. Otherwise I've gotten weird looks like "there's no way youre indian." If I didn't tell you about my heritage.

Previous thread debate on powwow participation. AK
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #132
Pow Wow Visitor

Sumi89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Depends on what powwows you attend. Some require a card for contests.
Sumi89 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #133
Pow Wow Visitor

Sumi89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizDances_WithWavez View Post
I've heard of the trail of tears powwows in KY but never got a chance to go.
I have an uncle there so, hopefully I get to go if I can take off work.
Sumi89 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #134
Banned

kyle1735 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for this information
Life was like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.
kyle1735 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #135
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,269.27
wellll

u know what i seen lots of white folks dance at powwows but those usually either have a husband or children who are native. there are some powwows that card for competition. thats a whole different ball game there. so yar answer there no set blood quantem persay but rmember not all powwows are the same when it comes to competition.
so its pretty much go to it and check it out. if they ask you when you register to compete if you have yar papers then u know yar answer with that one.
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #136
Junior Dancer

delila77 has a reputation beyond repute
delila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond reputedelila77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,269.27
doesnt really matter

if u got white hair, black, brown, blue purple whatever. you can still dance. if ppl gunna give you funny look then let them. i dont see whats the harm when you follow all protocols and know how to dance. look at me when i was little i had blonde which turned brown later on in years. i just went to powwows and just danced. ppl will realize once they know u real well that yar legit or not. yay theres gunna be gossipers but let them gossip. if they dont come up to ya thats there issue not yars.

i had issues out in california because ppl didnt know me at all. moved from ohio to california. i hadnt been dancing jingle in years. knee was shot like nothin but bone in my knee and i was in pain all the time when i tried to dance i couldnt. ppl totally looked at my funny when my ex made me come out and dance. tried telling him about knee issues many times he wouldnt listen. he thought i was lieing the whole entire time when i wasnt. but the point is no matter how funny ppl look at ya dont let that get to ya.
delila77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #137
Banned

Items Tree
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,536.73
Technically none! but I hardly think that is the issue anymore, after reading most of the replies on here, it seems to me the question is how little NDN blood can I get away with not having to dance? And again that answer is technically none. Unfortunately that allows wannabes to jump into an arena and make a mockery of what should be observed in respect. It's an honor to dance, NOT a right, otherwise there wouldn't be so many NDN's hanging out on the sideline, or selling taco, or jewelry. Most importantly the 2 factors to dance, in my opinion, are a legit community to support you and you know why you are dancing the (as in you know why you dance the way you do), not just cause you learned it on youtube.

Again My opinion.
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #138
Beady Eyed & Beautiful

Items DollDolphin
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Suzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond reputeSuzizila has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,206.83
Quote:
Originally Posted by fncyshwldncr4life View Post
You know what I mean.. Im refering to the kind that hop on out into the arena wearing their painted rabbit skin loin cloths..LOL
Is that some new version of the Rabbit Dance?
Suzizila is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #139
Pow Wow Visitor

1wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 361.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by delila77 View Post
if u got white hair, black, brown, blue purple whatever. you can still dance. if ppl gunna give you funny look then let them. i dont see whats the harm when you follow all protocols and know how to dance. look at me when i was little i had blonde which turned brown later on in years. i just went to powwows and just danced. ppl will realize once they know u real well that yar legit or not. yay theres gunna be gossipers but let them gossip. if they dont come up to ya thats there issue not yars.

i had issues out in california because ppl didnt know me at all. moved from ohio to california. i hadnt been dancing jingle in years. knee was shot like nothin but bone in my knee and i was in pain all the time when i tried to dance i couldnt. ppl totally looked at my funny when my ex made me come out and dance. tried telling him about knee issues many times he wouldnt listen. he thought i was lieing the whole entire time when i wasnt. but the point is no matter how funny ppl look at ya dont let that get to ya.
Is that part of the reason why he is an ex?
1wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #140
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,527.66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezrazed View Post
technically none! But i hardly think that is the issue anymore, after reading most of the replies on here, it seems to me the question is how little ndn blood can i get away with not having to dance? And again that answer is technically none. Unfortunately that allows wannabes to jump into an arena and make a mockery of what should be observed in respect.

it's an honor to dance, not a right, otherwise there wouldn't be so many ndn's hanging out on the sideline, or selling taco, or jewelry. Most importantly the 2 factors to dance, in my opinion, are a legit community to support you and you know why you are dancing the (as in you know why you dance the way you do), not just cause you learned it on youtube.

again my opinion.
honor!