Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Learning to dance.. Learning to dance..

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Okie Choctaw

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jwhitley is a splendid one to beholdjwhitley is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Learning to dance..

Hi:)

I was wondering how you learn to dance? I mean, besides going to powwows and living on a res and stuff. I have nothing like that around me, but I would like to learn.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
the best way to learn to dance is by going to pow wows, living on a rez and stuff
Yes Really
lol
Old 04-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Okie Choctaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
Haha, well, wouldn't you know it? Duh:) lol

No but uh...any other sugestions? I didn't know if there was like a vedio to teach you the steps or what:)
Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Dragonfly

Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 602.84
Yes there are videos you can get for each style of dancing. However I found by watching the dancers and talking to different people at the Pow wows is the best way to learn.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

Cree_thang is just really nice
Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!
Cree_thang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree_thang View Post
Please, please please, dont think that you have to live on a rez to learn to dance...That has nothing to do with it! I grew up on the rez and learned to dance, but I also have friends who grew up in the city who have learned to dance too. If exposed to it, you will learn. Whatever your style of learning may be, use it to your advantage. Perhaps you learn visually, maybe you learn by what others tell you, whatever your style-use it! That's the best advise I could give. Oh yeah, there may be a group that practices somewhere, join em! Fortunately, there is such a group in my city and that is where I take my children during the winter to practice...During the summer it's SHOW TIME! We go to pow-wows and give er nails!!!
I think what he was saying was the best way to learn how to dance is to go to powwows and be around other ndns

There are only 1 remaining rez in Oklahoma for instance but lots of communities and certainly plenty of powwows
You can watch all the videos you want but unless you set down with someone and talk about what you are seeing you will not learn the proper way

Dance is a hand me down kind of thang!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Teepee Creepin near you

Items Treasure ChestElephantDevilPresent
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
soopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond reputesoopashinaab has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,214.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree_thang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
I think what he was saying was the best way to learn how to dance is to go to powwows and be around other ndns

There are only 1 remaining rez in Oklahoma for instance but lots of communities and certainly plenty of powwows
You can watch all the videos you want but unless you set down with someone and talk about what you are seeing you will not learn the proper way

Dance is a hand me down kind of thang!
nuff said!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,859.38
the good thing about dancing

I was taken to powwows in the city of Chicago when I was little and then was shown by a good friend of my Mom's how to wait for the head dancers etc. protocol for me was a form of respect for the other dancers. Before that I was just a kid and danced whenever the drum started. For me to dance was all about feeling good and knowing that I was a part of this whole scene. I went to many powwows all my life where I believe the best part is when everyone is getting down and just dancing and singing. No contest, no judging, just dancing. It never goes away, our people are always going to have this and it cant be taken away.
Hang out at as many powwows as you can and just enjoy, lots of people will help you out and watch videos too.
pow-wow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Crazy Crow Trading Post has a video for beginning dancers............but I'm telling you the same thing I was told when I started dancing........you got to spend a lot of time on the bench at powwows watching and learning before you start dancing.
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
its me

pow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond reputepow-wow person has a reputation beyond repute
just a dancer

I just danced! must have been good, cause it was fun
Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

handgame_native is a name known to all
Wee Chaw!
handgame_native is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
its me

learning

Learning to dance is not about sitting on the side, it is about participation. So I would say - do like I did and get up and dance.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

SamanthaF is an unknown quantity at this point
You can "learn how to do the steps" by watching but you will never truely dance until you understand that dancing comes in response to the drum beating within. So, watch the videos, watch at powwows, ask questions, practice and then let your soul be expressed when you go out onto the floor.
SamanthaF is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
its me

ndn dancing

Is that like, "its an ndn thing?" Of course, you feel it inside just like I said before you can't get that feeling anywhere but with your own.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
Okie Choctaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaF View Post
You can "learn how to do the steps" by watching but you will never truely dance until you understand that dancing comes in response to the drum beating within. So, watch the videos, watch at powwows, ask questions, practice and then let your soul be expressed when you go out onto the floor.
Oh yeah! I definitely have a beat in me!! lol I've done ballet, jazz, and interpretive dance, and me and my husband are both drummers, but I wanted to make sure I 'did it right'. Like the crow hop, and stuff like that. I have a scared spirit cd at home, that I would like to pratice with...I like the buckskin and cloth dances, and the jingle, oh, and the fancy....but I would have liked to learn the steps...I'll keep watching the videos, and practicing:)
Thank you all very much for your help:)
Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

SamanthaF is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you have it "under control" LOL I'm sure you'll do just fine. I wasn't raised on the rez or anything so I've been in your shoes. (Wanting to learn the right way) Most people are really willing to help once they see you are serious and respectful. I think it's really important to learn to express yourself in your dancing but I don't think you're gonna have any problems with all the other experience you have. Good Luck and remember... Have fun!
SamanthaF is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #18
its me

scared spirit cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitley View Post
Oh yeah! I definitely have a beat in me!! lol I've done ballet, jazz, and interpretive dance, and me and my husband are both drummers, but I wanted to make sure I 'did it right'. Like the crow hop, and stuff like that. I have a scared spirit cd at home, that I would like to pratice with...I like the buckskin and cloth dances, and the jingle, oh, and the fancy....but I would have liked to learn the steps...I'll keep watching the videos, and practicing:)
Thank you all very much for your help:)
what is a scared spirit? or what?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
Okie Choctaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pow-wow person View Post
what is a scared spirit? or what?
It's a native american music cd. Really good, I really like it. I'm sure you can google them:)