Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Powwow question Powwow question

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Corvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond repute
Corvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.40
Savings: 0.00
Powwow question

I've never been to a powwow before, but at some point, probably next year, I'd like to go to one, maybe try meeting a few people... but I live in PA and I don't really have the abilitiy to travel too far right now. Are there any powwows that happen in Pennsylvania? I've actually heard people say a lot of east-coast powwows aren't worth going to, but I'm curious to see if there are any good ones near me.

And is there anything in particular you should wear? I'm a girl, and I don't know if there's anything specific women wear to powwows to be respectful... or is it just a t-shirt-and-jeans affair for spectators?

Corvid is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
regular but modest clothes for spectators. Don't live anywhere near you so I will leave the other part of the question for those who do.
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,125.86
Well to answer you questions:

East coast powwows are great (though I don't get to travel much and have never been out west to compare). I could be dead wrong but it seems as if the eastern powwows are a big learning experience as they draw a large non-native audience and thus in a way they have to tailor more towards them in order to survive, therefore they suffer when compared to those out west, but again thats due to the fact that there is a far lower native population here than in, lets say Arizona or South Dakota. So when people bash east coast powwows you really have to look at the reasons behind it, and admittingly there are some bad ones out there that don't even take good care of the dancers and singers etc.

I also live in PA (Lehigh Valley area) and there are several powwow's that are good. The Museum of Indian Culture in Allentown does 3 each year, one in May, August, and October. And in Carlisle there used to be a nice one around Easter time at Dickenson University, I heard they moved it recently, havn't been there for 2 years because of work.

To answer your question about attire, you can pretty much wear whatever you want as long as A) it's not your birthday suit, and, B) it's not offensive. I usually just wear jeans and a t-shirt, as I'm usually working the powwows that I go to doing sound and electrical. If you're dancing then you should wear the proper regalia but again if you are just spectating then you don't have too much to worry about.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
We spend a lot of time every season dancing powwows all over PA... and trust me there are alot of them.... My husband and I head dance quite a few of them... we get spread sort of thin trying to to make all the ones that we are invited to, or part of the staff or just want to go to just to dance.....

Please wear something that you would not be ashamed for your grand-parents to see you in... that means not to short or to revealing, and not to tight....

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
steelemagnolia63 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Corvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Well to answer you questions:

East coast powwows are great (though I don't get to travel much and have never been out west to compare). I could be dead wrong but it seems as if the eastern powwows are a big learning experience as they draw a large non-native audience and thus in a way they have to tailor more towards them in order to survive, therefore they suffer when compared to those out west, but again thats due to the fact that there is a far lower native population here than in, lets say Arizona or South Dakota. So when people bash east coast powwows you really have to look at the reasons behind it, and admittingly there are some bad ones out there that don't even take good care of the dancers and singers etc.

I also live in PA (Lehigh Valley area) and there are several powwow's that are good. The Museum of Indian Culture in Allentown does 3 each year, one in May, August, and October. And in Carlisle there used to be a nice one around Easter time at Dickenson University, I heard they moved it recently, havn't been there for 2 years because of work.

To answer your question about attire, you can pretty much wear whatever you want as long as A) it's not your birthday suit, and, B) it's not offensive. I usually just wear jeans and a t-shirt, as I'm usually working the powwows that I go to doing sound and electrical. If you're dancing then you should wear the proper regalia but again if you are just spectating then you don't have too much to worry about.
Ahh... thanks for your answers! I kinda wondered why east coast powwows were put down... maybe a few were "fake" or just weren't well organized... But that makes sense, and it still makes me interested in going :) I'm a few hours away from Allentown, but it'd be worth it to make the drive and go to one of them... I doubt this year, but maybe next! And thanks for the clothing answers... I just wanted to be sure :) That makes it easy enough.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,125.86
Np. If you have any other questions just feel free to ask.
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
We spend a lot of time every season dancing powwows all over PA... and trust me there are alot of them.... My husband and I head dance quite a few of them... we get spread sort of thin trying to to make all the ones that we are invited to, or part of the staff or just want to go to just to dance.....

Please wear something that you would not be ashamed for your grand-parents to see you in... that means not to short or to revealing, and not to tight....
I didn't think too many would be around PA... I actually figured there wouldn't be any at all! I'm surprised to hear there are a lot. Thats good though, I'll try looking up all the powwows that happen around here. Hopefully I'll make it to at least one! x) Thanks for your answers, they were helpful.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Well if you find that you do not find a good one there, come on up here to powwow country, we have one here in our area just about every weekend and they are all well advertized. For us they are all year round too! Indoors as well as outside. The Golden Lake powwow on the third weekend of august is a traditional powwow and has now reached its 22nd year this year! It is also well knows south of the border too! Just ask people like Fox In The Box! He comes from the southern tip of Vermont every year even when he gets reaaaaaaaal sick at work!!!!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #9

Kisikaw is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm making a vest to start dancing and I beaded the bottom of the vest is that allowed? or does it have to be fully beaded I was going to put bear paws on it. about five of them is that allowed?
Kisikaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Kisikaw, of course it is allowed, but the question is why 5, bears have 4!!! Then again our teaching state that the sacred number is 7 for each of our teachings.... so maybe you need either 4 or 7??? Making any sense to you? So where are you in northern Canada, near me???

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Asmajol

Here is another resource

Powwows

Click on state yah want.
There is a really awesome one in West Virginia yearly in which they have birds of prey
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
Two Moons Memorial Powwow

The Two Moons Memorial Powwow in Shartleville, PA every Labor Day weekend is the best powwow in PA. It is a 3 day powwow sat, sun and mon with a teaching day on Friday. It is about an hour west on 78 from Allentown - so not too far from you. I've been to a lot of powwows in PA and this one is really the best. Folks are friendly and there is an instant "coming home" family feeling even your first time. If you go once, you'll want to go back again and again.
yellowthunders mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links