Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Fish camp.... Fish camp....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
aknative is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking Fish camp....

I'm missen Alaska. :Cry I haven't been there for almost a year. Before that it was like 10 years. I was born and lived there when I was a little kid. All my mothers side of the family lives there. Its so darn expensive to fly to my village from the states. Oh and Fish camp. Yum!!! Ahhh, good memories........
Is any one from there, been there or live there????
aknative is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Talking

Sounds cool. You going to move back or are you not planning on moving back.

Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

drinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond repute
drinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,468.08
Savings: 1.00
Smile

So, your heart smiles when you think of it...must be a place of pure beauty.

Not been there specifically...have seen some of wonders of AK--that road to Valdez doesn't have any potholes!
:driving:

Smilies is not my 1st Language
drinkingfromysaucer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Oh I would like to move there. Only one problem...I would miss pow-wow's!!It's a whole other culture there. You go to the villages and people still talk there native language.
The village I'm from is Holy Cross. It's located on the lower Yukon River.
At fish camp there is no electicity, no plumming or running water. I was 11 the last time I went there. And when Mom reminded me, I was like "Whaaa???". But it's really not bad.
You buy all your supplies then load you boat and head to fish camp.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

...and you can't forget to bring your gun. You might run into a bear. We did one time.:Scared
Old 02-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

drinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond repute
drinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond reputedrinkingfromysaucer2 has a reputation beyond repute
That bear

details plz

Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

Unhappy

Well , that summer afternoon my Grandpa, Grandma, Mom, Uncle, little brother and myself all got in our boat to get fresh water and go pick salmon berries. We went off the Yukon river into a smaller river.
We stoped off at a good spot to have lunch. Grandma took out a bag of half dried smoked king salmon. Gave each of us a piece to cook over the fire my Grandpa started for us. The salmon was so rich, warm and had a slight smoky flavor. It was good to have every one talking and enjoying our lunch together.
Grandma and my Mom got our buckets out of the boat for each of us to pick the orange salmon berries. We all went off into the medow. I was suprised to see the berries grow so close to the ground. I didnt pick them as fast as my Mother and her Mom.
I turned to look over at my little brother, only to see him filling his chubby belly. He smiled at me.
We all spred out and were filling our buckets as fast as we could. We still had to go get fresh water.
Mom said when we get back Grandma will make Ah-good-uk for all of us for dessert.
"What is ah-good-uk?" I said. Mom told me it was Eskimo ice cream.
Just then my Uncle yelled
"Get back to the boat now!"
I looked up to see him yelling at us and waving his arms.
Grandpa stood his ground with his shot gun.

........I'll finish this later.......
Old 02-06-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
Champion Dancer

*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
i wanna go to alaska!
i wanna go to alaska!
*-merk-* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2004, 03:42 AM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally posted by aknative
Well , that summer afternoon my Grandpa, Grandma, Mom, Uncle, little brother and myself all got in our boat to get fresh water and go pick salmon berries. We went off the Yukon river into a smaller river.
We stoped off at a good spot to have lunch. Grandma took out a bag of half dried smoked king salmon. Gave each of us a piece to cook over the fire my Grandpa started for us. The salmon was so rich, warm and had a slight smoky flavor. It was good to have every one talking and enjoying our lunch together.
Grandma and my Mom got our buckets out of the boat for each of us to pick the orange salmon berries. We all went off into the medow. I was suprised to see the berries grow so close to the ground. I didnt pick them as fast as my Mother and her Mom.
I turned to look over at my little brother, only to see him filling his chubby belly. He smiled at me.
We all spred out and were filling our buckets as fast as we could. We still had to go get fresh water.
Mom said when we get back Grandma will make Ah-good-uk for all of us for dessert.
"What is ah-good-uk?" I said. Mom told me it was Eskimo ice cream.
Just then my Uncle yelled
"Get back to the boat now!"
I looked up to see him yelling at us and waving his arms.
Grandpa stood his ground with his shot gun.

........I'll finish this later.......
:Fish
:Fishsorta like "Julie of the Wolves"? (referencing a favorite book) :Fish

Old 02-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Savageindian is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello

Hi aknative. I am also Alaskan Native I have my own thread if you want to read it in this area. Thanks. Nice meeting you..
Old 02-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I'm missing Alaska too. It is way TOO expensive to fly back and forth. Some day soon I hope to go back to visit all my relatives.

And pick some SALMONBERRIES!!!!!:D
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

My Grandpa stood his ground with his shot gun....

All of us ran into the boat. I never looked back. You could hear rustling in the bushes and trees. Twigs snapping.
Worried, I asked my Mom what is happening.
"There's a bear!" she said to me.
My Uncle pushed the boat into the water. My Grandpa jumped in and started the motor.
Gripping the side of the boat I turned around to look on the shore and I didn't see any animal. I didn't want to.
Once we were safely in the river every one relaxed and enjoyed the fresh air.
We stoped off to get our fresh clear water for Fish camp. And headed back.
Once we arrived, I helped carry the buckets of delicious salmon berries up to my Grandparents cabin.
My cousins and Autie greeted us on the bank and helped carry up the water.
I asked my Mom if I could go play now with my cousins.
"Yes, and in a little while we will have your Grandmothers ah-good-uk."
Thoughts of the bear left my mind as my cousins and I walked up the little hill behind our cabins to the big rope swing.
Maybe not actually seeing the bear left me nieve of the power and fear a bear can bring.

More on Ah-good-uk story soon....
:Wave
Old 02-10-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkingfromysaucer2
:Fish
:Fishsorta like "Julie of the Wolves"? (referencing a favorite book) :Fish
I love that book!!!:rating10:
Old 02-13-2004, 03:53 PM   #14
Junior Dancer

Any one ever been to fish camp or a village in Alaska???
Old 02-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

I have gone to quite a few fish camps. I tell you that is the funnest thing i can ever remember from living on my reservation in Northern British Columbia. They are just so traditional up there. would be a huge family gathering. about 15 people camping. In the evenings people who worked come by to help. they were usually the people who would bring supplies. we would be out there for 4-6 weeks. Doing nothing but fishing. Canning. Smoking. and getting all the fish we can for our friends and family. Of course the elders were taken care of first
Old 02-13-2004, 06:31 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

Yay! Someone who has been to Fish Camp!:p
I remember trying to carry my first King salmon.
My Grandma and Grandpa came to shore after going out in the boat to check the net for fish.
Mom saw them come to shore and told me to go and help carry up the salmon. I headed out of the cabin and down the trail leading to the bank. My Uncle beat me to the boat.
"I'll help carry these" I said.
Grandpa handed me such a large one! I held out my arms and he flopped the fish in them. I curled my arms around it. Practicly hugging it. I started walking, and the fish started sliding around in my arms. I just kept thinking, how the heck do you carry these?
I heard my Uncle laughing at me up at the cutting house.
I flopped the fish down on the table.
"Gee" I said.
"Ha ha ha, here let's go down to the boat and I'll show you the right way to carry it."said my Uncle.
So I followed him down. We had so many to carry.
I stood behind him as he grabbed one out of the boat. He turned around to me and said,
"Here, hold out your arms"
So I did.
"With one hand hold it just above the tail"
Okay this is better, not bad.
"Now, with your other hand shove it into the gill."
"Oh, yuck" I said squinting my nose.
But I did it any how. And worked real well. Slimy as all heck!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:47 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

We were a lot more Fortunate then you. We camped in Tents Cooked all of our food and coffee on the fire with open pots and pans. Made fresh homemade Fry bread on the fire. Oh boy that is the best.

We also built a huge traditional smoke house. Only used saws to cut down the trees and to cut the wood to make it. We did cheat and used nails to put it together.

One of my fondest memories at fish camp was when one of my young cousins smooshed a bug under his shoe. My Great grandfather (also cheif of our house.) Told my young cousin to pick the bug up and eat it. He said " In our ways you do not kill anything unless you are going to eat it". From that day on he never killed another bug. Since the after taste of it is most likely still with him
:Chatter
Old 02-13-2004, 06:51 PM   #18
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Hello:
Well i am about as far from Alaska as you can get.
But, from how you talk about fish camp....
I grew up going to Deer camp in November. 2 weeks with my grandpas and uncles in old wall tents and brush arbors to get fresh meat and hides. I remember smokey fires and helping my grandma cut meat cause i was too little too hunt with my dad. This was all over by 1965. All gone. Cherish what you have up there. Go see it again. My children just do not understand how I felt about it and how I miss it.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #19
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by storm
Hello:
Well i am about as far from Alaska as you can get.
But, from how you talk about fish camp....
I grew up going to Deer camp in November. 2 weeks with my grandpas and uncles in old wall tents and brush arbors to get fresh meat and hides. I remember smokey fires and helping my grandma cut meat cause i was too little too hunt with my dad. This was all over by 1965. All gone. Cherish what you have up there. Go see it again. My children just do not understand how I felt about it and how I miss it.
Yes it is hard to explain the good feeling from being with family doing traditional things. Especialy when you are so far from home or will never get to experience it again.
I'm saving to go. I want my daughter (3 year old) to know her family. All of her family. Some day soon!
Sponsored Links