• 3 Post By milehighsalute
  • 5 Post By wardancer
  • 2 Post By wyo_rose
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 3 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 1 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 1 Post By eagleclanriverband

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions G'day from Down Under... G'day from Down Under...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Barramundi is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 107.00
Savings: 0.00
G'day from Down Under...

Hi everyone, I joined hoping to find a tipi maker... We live in Australia and have just bought 500 acres on the sunshine coast hinterland in QLD and a few of us want to live in tipis. I have searched online and feeBay and don't feel comfortable buying a german made one. We are looking at 4 or 5 right now but have plans to set up a camp ground using them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Barramundi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Tipis - PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture here is the tipi forum

you should do google search too under shopping

you can also witch spelling to teepee for more results

question though.....why the hell would you want a teepee when you can buy an inflatable quonset for less money and warmer? (the air actually insulates).......goes up in minutes? not that it matters to me I'm just being nosey......what do you expect to accomplish by living in a tipi?
LISA IRONMAKER and subeeds like this.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Barramundi is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 107.00
Thanks for reply, sorry for delay but have just returned from a trip up to the property.
In Australia, if you search Teepee, you are directed to mostly childrens back yard tents...
I used to live in a teepee when I was younger and appreciate the simplistic nature of them, you also do not need to have a permit to erect one while you are building as it is considered a tent.
I think I would have problems having an open fire in a plastic tent, it also would not feel right being out in such a beautiful natural location in said tent.
Barramundi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barramundi View Post
Thanks for reply, sorry for delay but have just returned from a trip up to the property.
In Australia, if you search Teepee, you are directed to mostly childrens back yard tents...
I used to live in a teepee when I was younger and appreciate the simplistic nature of them, you also do not need to have a permit to erect one while you are building as it is considered a tent.
I think I would have problems having an open fire in a plastic tent, it also would not feel right being out in such a beautiful natural location in said tent.
fair enough......though these days if I had the money for a tipi I would still buy something else.......like a military tent with one of those heat stoves.......though maybe you can put a heat stove in a tipi and either live with it in the middle or play around with the flues

I'm not saying this out of any offense or anything because we don't have any exclusive rights to tipis, I'm not even of a plains tribe.........mongols and samis also used tipis........it worked really well for a few groups of people for years..........but like I said for the kinda money they cost I'm sure there is something better
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,797.15
Savings: 1.00
If I was gonna camp , I'd prefer a tipi to any other kind of tent. I have an 18' and a 22 ' and the biggest pain of that is hauling the poles. Other than that , I'll keep them. The older I get though , I lean more to that 5th wheel camper I used to have ! Too easy , just pull in and hook it up ! A.C. , refrigerator , shower/potty , and a comfy bed ! Hard to beat ! Id sell my covers ! I don't use them any more. I gave away my 10' to a holy man , but I still have my big ones. One has liners and a door(22) and I think I have a door for the 18. I've stayed in that 22' down to 11 degrees and stayed cozy. Been in some terrible storms and it always kept me dry.I'd take a grand for the pair plus what ever it cost to ship them !They both got good smoke on them !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Wow, that's a great Deal! Especially with a tipi line! Come on, lotto!

I was just wondering if suitable tipi poles can be found down under??
wardancer and subeeds like this.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post

That is a good question ! I have no idea ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
We drove through Yellowstone Park a couple days ago, past miles and miles of primo lodgepole pine!!! All I could think of was peeling hundreds of tipi poles.
subeeds likes this.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,175.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post

Yes...suitable poles can be found down under.

Crikey!!!

Peelable, too.
wardancer, subeeds and Toolbox like this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 51,669.61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
If I was gonna camp , I'd prefer a tipi to any other kind of tent. I have an 18' and a 22 ' and the biggest pain of that is hauling the poles. Other than that , I'll keep them. The older I get though , I lean more to that 5th wheel camper I used to have ! Too easy , just pull in and hook it up ! A.C. , refrigerator , shower/potty , and a comfy bed ! Hard to beat ! Id sell my covers ! I don't use them any more. I gave away my 10' to a holy man , but I still have my big ones. One has liners and a door(22) and I think I have a door for the 18. I've stayed in that 22' down to 11 degrees and stayed cozy. Been in some terrible storms and it always kept me dry.I'd take a grand for the pair plus what ever it cost to ship them !They both got good smoke on them !
Too cheap dammit

I wonder how much it costs to ship down under.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #11
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Yes...suitable poles can be found down under.

Crikey!!!

Peelable, too.
I heard dem gurls all sayin' that about you !

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-15-2016, 03:10 AM   #12
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,082.65
All this talk about tipi's got me thinking...how about a wigwam instead??

That made me remember about this guy who was sick so he went to the Tribal Clinic. The Doc asked the guy, "What's wrong?"

The guy said, "I dunno...sometimes I feel like a tipi & other times I feel like a wigwam."

The IHS Doc said, "Sorry, I can't help you."

So the guy went to see a Medicine Man next and told him about his symptoms.

The Medicine Man said, "Oh, yah, I know what's wrong....you're too tense."

I know this isn't the joke thread, but I thought I'd share a little humor.
OLChemist, wyo_rose and S-J like this.
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 AM   #13
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, Barramundi,

I forgot my manners....I should have 1st said:

Welcome to Powwows.com!

My son has been studying this past year at University of Queensland in St. Lucia. He really loves Australia & studying there at UQ.

Good luck w/your tipi quest!
subeeds likes this.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #14
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 33,763.94
Shipping is based on weight, so I'm betting it would cost an arm, a leg, and possibly a first born kid to ship down there.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

DaisyMaisy is a splendid one to beholdDaisyMaisy is a splendid one to beholdDaisyMaisy is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 1,744.32
Are tipis good for hot weather too? Or just snug in cold Plains winters?

Shipping a tipi to Australia would surely cost a fortune but you'd have an authentic one and you could put wardancer's face on the wall, framed and everything! Best tipi in all of Oz probably.

Maybe you should look into what the Australian Natives live/lived in...which means I now need to go google that because I have no idea and now I'm wondering. I bet it was good for the climate though!
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #16
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
Shipping is based on weight, so I'm betting it would cost an arm, a leg, and possibly a first born kid to ship down there.
not if he can stuff it in a flat rate box
Old 06-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #17
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,175.91
Quote:
Maybe he's the guy that was on here who knew a friend of a friend of a friend. He had enough money to ship 50 tipis!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2016, 03:51 AM   #18
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
not if he can stuff it in a flat rate box
Unfortunately I've had to ship a couple packages to my son this past year & both ways (by weight & by flat rate box) we thought were expensive.

The cheapest way is by taking the slow boat; it took 2 months to get to Australia. For a small size padded envelope, it cost over $60 bucks. (My son's phone was stolen & I was shipping a replacement.) I can't imagine the cost of shipping tipi's.

The US Postal Service recommended registered receipt so it could be tracked every step of the way. Good thing. When it got to Los Angeles, it was sent to Mexico instead. The insurance company & USPS told me this happens all the time & then it's sold on the black market. I prayed a lot that it would finally get over to Australia & thankfully it did!
S-J likes this.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Ready to dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaisy View Post
Are tipis good for hot weather too? Or just snug in cold Plains winters?
If you get too hot, just roll up a bottom edge to get a nice breeze blowing through.

I have a friend who is saving up for a house and has been living in a tipi (even through winter) for a couple years now - along with her husband and two teenagers.

Tipis are SO heavy, you could probably make one for the price of shipping alone! My ex MIL made one on a regular sewing machine.

Sorry, WD, don't want to put a damper on your possible sale here. Although, if I win at the casino, I want to buy the set myself!
Old 06-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #20
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Well , I don't use them anymore. They're also not advertised ! LOL They're just up in the attic , rolled up. Haven't put them up in 5-6 years. I don't worry about them much ! LOL

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Sponsored Links