Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Greetings from Europe Greetings from Europe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
attila is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Greetings from Europe

Hey everybody!
My name is Eva Kelemen, I live in Europe.
I'm visiting this page for long time. I'm so glad to find this great site because there are lot of interesting topics and it is full of good informations.
Since I was a Powwow visitor in 2006 in Raleigh, the native american culture became my obsession.
So I would like to ask you a favour. I took the picture at the bottom in 2006 at the Durham Powwow located at the North Carolina School of Science and Maths, with the permission of people who are on the picture. Since than I'm trying to find the young man. I found him very kind.Unfortunately I had to return to Europe.
So if somebody can help me find out his contact information. I'll be gratefull for your help.
Thanks for your help.Blessings Eva.
Attached Thumbnails
dscn6416_resize.jpg  
attila is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Hey Attila,

I can't help you with your question, but looking at your username, I'm wondering, are you Magyar?

Welcome to powwows.com, and I hope you find the information you're looking for.

RDNKJ
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi RDNKJ!
Thank you for welcoming me .
Yes I'm a hungarian woman. Magyar in our language.
Do you know hungarian people? How do you know this word?
Attila
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Lion of Judah

RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Hi RDNKJ!
Thank you for welcoming me .
Yes I'm a hungarian woman. Magyar in our language.
Do you know hungarian people? How do you know this word?
Attila
Hey Attila,

I've been interested in Hungary since I was a small child when I was fascinated by the accents of the actresses Zsa Zsa & Eva Gabor. In later years, I also had a Latin teacher who was Magyar.

I have fond memories of spending some time in Budapest back in 1996 (I was on holiday). Back then, of course, so many things were under renovation. I would like to go back one day and see how the city has changed. I'd also like to see some of the Hungarian countryside, and maybe visit Lake Balaton.

Did you have an interest in Native Americans before you visited the States?

RD
Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Hey RD!
I find very interesting that we met here. I mean that is interesting that you know the hungarian people since your childhood and also my dream was to meet once a real native american.
Since I saw a movie about native american people I feel like something is attracting me to them.Like I would belong there in one of my previous life.Can you understand that?It seems very strange.
I read all books and saw all the movies I could find here about native american history and I appreciate them more and more .
When I lived in the States I made a trip to the Great Smokey Mountains . It was amazing I felt that I could live there forever.
I'm so glad to hear that you would like to return to Budapest.It's still a beautiful city.
I think we could talk a lot about our nations if you would like too.
Best wishes Attila
Old 07-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Lion of Judah

Hey,

Yes, it is a little weird that we would meet here. Sometimes it really is a very small world! I know what you mean about being drawn toward another culture.

I was brought up in NDN country in northeastern Oklahoma. So, I grew up with Natives, mostly Creek, Cherokee and Choctaw. We went to powwows regularly. One of my grandmother's neighbors was traditional Dine/Navajo. So, even though I'm not NDN myself, my interest in Native America just comes from my background.

But, I've always had a very special interest in Russia. From a young age I've read everything I could find about Russia, history, culture, religion... Russian Area Studies was one of my minors in college. I figure I must have been Russian in a past life.

I've never been to the Great Smokey Mountains, but I have been through the Carolinas. Gorgeous, gorgeous country! What brought you to the States? How long were you here?

Where in Hungary are you? Budapest is beautiful. I'm sure it is even more beautiful now that some of the work that was going on back when I was there is now finished. And I must say, y'all's Parliament Building is one of the most beautiful I've seen! I know that if I ever get back to Budapest, one thing that I know I'll do is visit Szechenyi furdo again! All I can say is "wow!"

Talk to you later.
RD
Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Hey!
Oh yes Szechenyi furdo is a great place.On rainy sad days when I feel so lonely I go there whenever I can to cheer up myself.Right now us under reconstruction in part but still a good place.
I'm amused how well you know Budapest. I have to tell you that in present Hungary is not among the richest countries in Europe.
I'm glad you understand my thoughts . I know that I have some difficulties trying to express myself in english in the right way. It is so good to know that I can tell you all that i feel and think about my obsession to Native America.
Right now I'm living in Budapest. I was born in Romania as a hungarian, so we were part of a national minority, often bothered by the former authorities. I don't know if you can understand what I mean by that. I don't know if you know something about Hungary's history or about the situation after II World War here in eastern Europe.After 1989 everything is changed but in the eighties we had hard times. So , my ex husbands parents emmigrated to the States and there they became american citizens and they asked us to go to they in the States. My ex husband my son and myself got the visas just in 2004 and so we moved in Raleigh , North Carolina.
In meantime our relation with my ex became so bad that I couldn't stay with him and his family and we divorced there .I lived and worked in Raleigh for almost 2 years. After divorce I decided to come home to Hungary cause I found to hard to start a new life in the States alone without friends and relatives. Maybe I was wrong but then I found that world so frightening.
It's so strange but sometimes I feel that I miss my life there.I miss the misty mornings and so many things and the nearness of the mountains .
I hope you can understand me .
Have a nice day
Attila
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Lion of Judah

Hey Attila,

If I lived in Budapest I'd be at the spas all the time. Wet sauna to clear the lungs, dry sauna just to bake myself, dip in the pool to cool off, ending with a nice massage. What a way to spend a day! When I was there I also checked out Kiralyi and Gellert. Both nice in their own ways. But my favorite was Szechenyi. Surrounded by all the grandeur, it made me feel like a Habsburg!

I knew that there was a large Hungarian minority in Rumania that were "harrassed" under Ceausescu. I guess things are better now? I know very basic Hungarian history, the border shifts between Hungary and Rumania, Arpad dynasty, Austria-Hungary, Nagy Imre, Kadar Janos, Horthy Miklos. My Magyar Latin teacher actually fled Hungary in 1956 and spent some time in one of the refugee camps in Austria. Understandably, she had a very deep, deep hatred of anything Russian. I hope you understand my interest in Russia is academic/cultural/historical, and shouldn't be taken as approval or sympathy of Soviet/Russian policies.

You express yourself fine in English. Just let the words flow, and don't worry too much about fluency; the meaning still comes through!

I'm so sorry things didn't work out for you here in the States. Understandable that you would want to return "home." I like to travel and see other places and learn about other cultures, but I'm not sure I could actually settle in another country to live. While I might end up in another part of the country, I don't think I could leave "for good."

The mountains in the eastern USA are lovely. I grew up with the Ozarks not too far away. The autumn colors, the mists over the mountains...beautiful. But when I think of mountains, I think of the Rockies or the Tetons. I'm going to Montana next month for a week to go to the Crow Fair powwow on the Crow Indian Reservation. It will be nice to visit up north and see some of the spectacular scenery they have in that area. I can't wait.

There is so much Native America to see, from the Eastern Woodlands where you were, to the Pueblos in the southwest, the Northern Plains, etc.. All fascinating and all very, very different from one another.

I'll let you go for now. I hope you've had a good day.

RD
Old 07-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Hey,
It's amazing that you know so much from our history. I knew hungarian people who live in America and they don't care about their own ancestry.
It's a real pleasure to talk to you.
Yes, you could feel like a real king here.I'm glad you had so good times here.
I understand your in interest in russians and i completely understand that this not about their politic.
In meantime i understood that politic is never made by common people they just suffer from politicians bad decisions.
I have so much to tell about this and about a lot of things. But now I have to go to work .
I hope you will have a very good time in Montana. Oh how I wish to can be there some day and spend a time among native americans.
So i have to go now I will talk to you at the evening.
Have a nice time! Attila
Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Lion of Judah

Hey Attila,

I've always liked history, and European history is also my history, even though my family has been in the Americas since the late 1600s/early 1700s. Like I said earlier, I've been interested in Hungary since I was small. I think it is sad when people don't know their own history. How do you know where you are going if you don't know where you've been?

I'm glad you understand my interest in Russia. When I was growing up I had to hide my interest from everyone but my family. People would say very hateful things to me when they found out about my interests. My parents finally had to tell me not to talk about Russia outside the house. So, even today, I'm a little wary telling people about my interest. You never know how they will react.

You said you were born in Rumania. Did you live there, or did you grow up in Hungary? What do you do for a living? I work for the State of Texas in the mental health field. I've now worked for Texas for 20 years; I can retire in 8 years. I wish retirement meant I didn't have to work anymore. But I'll only be 52 when I retire, so still young enough to pursue another career!

I'll let you go for now. Talk to you later.

RD
Old 07-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Hey RD
I'm wondering what does your initials means.
That's great that you know your family's history.It's amazing when you are proud to be a part of an old family.
I understand that your interests in russian history met some concerns for your family and for american people. I know that your interest was not for their politics but most of the people when hear about russians associates to the comunism. So comunism here in eastern Europe had awful and hateful consequences.But I know that you were interested in their old culture.
I grew up in Rumania and basically I had a wonderful childhood. Even though we made a part of a minority and we always met obstacles in everything I think i was happy in my childhood.
My parents and grand parents considered that children are the most important -just like native americans- they protected us from the cruel realities and taught us to be proud to be hungarian and to be proud to be a part of an old Transylvanian family.But just like you I could'nt talk about this things outside the house cause we never knew who we talked to and we risked the jail if somebody have seen our books about hungarian history. In the school we learned in hungarian language but in the same time we learned rumanian as a state language. I learned russian very basically and german . Unfortunately I forget german cause i never used it. Later i realized that i like very much english language and i learned it from books and movies.
I completed the Nursing Highschool in the both languages hungarian and rumanian. Then i completed two years in some kind of college or i don't know how can it say. So now i work as a nurse here in Hungary cause I get the european licence. Oh ,I hope you can understand me . I see that i cannot express myself in a perfect way.
So the healthcare's situation here in Hungary is just awful . Even though I work for the Hungarian Defence Forces in a hospital as a nurse the payment is very poor.But i have no concerns i'm used with it.
When i lived in the States my dream was to get the nursing license there and maybe work a reservation.But i cannot get it not because i couldn't learn just cause the school was so far from us and i was frightened by driving on these wide open roads in the heavy traffic. I think for an american person this sounds weird isn't it?
It 's good for you that you can retire in short time . So you can do whatever you want .You can travel all around the world.
I work for more than 2o years but i have no idea when can i retire .But i don't even think of retirement.
Maybe when you are retired you can work somewhere just for pleasure?
I have to go now .
Have a nice day . Attila
Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Lion of Judah

Happy Monday, Attila!

I'll try and explain what my initials mean, but I don't know if you'll understand. It is a long and complicated explanation that probably doesn't make much sense outside of the American context. I am making fun of myself by my initials, it is a funny and ironic nickname, given to me by a friend.

First, I don't know if you learned what "redneck" means while you were in the States. In case you don't know, "redneck" is basically an insulting term for an uneducated rural laborer; they work outside all day so their necks are red from the sun. "Rednecks" are generally seen to be knee-jerk conservatives.

Second, I'm sure you're aware of our love affair with guns in this country. There has been long, ongoing debate about our right to own guns, and whether it is an individual right or a collective right. (The Supreme Court very recently ruled in favor of individual rights). In general, conservatives (Republicans) are seen as being more sympathetic toward gun ownership, and liberals (Democrats) are seen as more antagonistic toward gun ownership.

Third, minorities in the States tend to vote Democratic more than Republican. At least this is true for Blacks, Hispanics and Jews; I'm afraid I don't know what the voting trends are for Natives or Orientals. Although there are certainly exceptions, the Jewish population is pretty staunchly Democratic.

Fourth, has to do with public perception of different minorities. I am NOT saying that the following is actually true, I am simply stating the stereotypical societal view of different populations. Of all the different minority groups we have in the States, Jews (and Orientals) are probably the LEAST likely to be seen as poor and uneducated.

So, one day a friend and I were discussing gun rights, and I'm pretty rigid in my belief that the Constitution guarantees individuals the right to own guns (with very few exceptions). After arguing for awhile, my friend looks at me, laughs and says: D**n! Aren't you just a redneck Jew!

RDNKJ = ReDNecKJew.

So, it is ironic in that Americans certainly don't see Jews as being rednecks. My views on gun ownership go against the political trend of Jews being more Democratic/anti-gun, etc..

So, that is what my initials mean. It probably doesn't make much sense out of context, but it is actually a pretty funny nickname!

Too bad you didn't get your nursing license here. We are facing a shortage of nurses in the coming years! Do you have a Hungarian nursing license, or is it an EU license? I had no idea that the healthcare situation in Hungary was so bad. It was not too many years ago that there were dental junkets to Hungary. Americans would travel there for inexpensive, but high quality, dental care!

Why did you choose the name Attila? I thought it was a man's name?

I will let you go for now. Hope you had a great weekend!

RD
Old 07-30-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi RD!
Thanks for your explanation , i really understand what did you mean by that.
I don't know too much about politics in the States but i know that I find more sympathetic the Democrats politics.Being an european I can't really understand and agree with the right to own guns.
So that's not my business anyway.I'm just a simple woman nobody asks my opinion about this.
Your nickname is really funny .
I don't know too much about jewish culture I think what i read in papers and other forums is not always authentical. One of my cousins lives in Israel , her ex -husband was born in Romania and they emmigrated in the early 80-es. She became a psychiatrist and she likes that life there.
I f you don't mind can I ask you to tell me about your political view?
So about the healthcare's situatio here I can tell again that's awful because the government don't care about it . They are just arguing about any problem but they do nothing to improve the situation.Now I'm talking about the state's facilities.
In the private practicies the situation is different. The most of dental clinics are private practices.
I don't know if you can understand but here the healthcare is very different from the american healthcare. Anyway it doesn't make any sense.
Yes , you're right my username is a man's name . Have you heard from Attila the hun? He was our ancestor and i think maybe he was a barbarian but he was a good and righteous king. So I choosed my name as some kind of tribute to him.
If you'd like I will tell more about him .
I hope can understand me , I see that i write everything what I think and maybe not in the right way. So excuse me for that.
I have to go now . I hope to hear from you soon.
Have a nice day. Attila
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
Lion of Judah

Hi Attila,

I'm glad you understood my explanation. I didn't realize it was quite so complicated until I started to explain!

My politics are pretty centrist. I've never joined either political party. I just don't understand how only two parties can adequately express the political needs of ca. 300 million people! On some issues I'm very liberal, and on others I am very conservative. In general, my politics are closer to the Democrats' than to the Republicans'.

The whole gun issue is just one of those fundamental cultural differences between Americans and Europeans. We don't understand y'all's attitude toward guns, and y'all don't understand ours. All I can say is it is written into our Constitution. And, while it might not be "polite" to say outright, our Founding Fathers wanted us to have guns so that we could protect ourselves from our own government, if it became necessary. They were very revolutionary and wanted to make sure the revolution could be protected!

There is a lot of information about us Jews out there. Unfortunately, a lot of it is inaccurate at best, and lies at worst. Just be careful where the information comes from.

If you've never been, sometime when you have some free time and are in the area, check out Nagy Zsinagoga on Dohany utca. It is the largest active Jewish Temple in the world and is very beautiful inside! While very sad, the Holocaust Memorial near there is very beautiful and moving.

Governments are the same the world over. They argue and argue and argue. I understand what you mean about private practice versus government healthcare. Even here there is a big big difference. The healthcare given to our veterans through the Veteran's Administration has been a scandal for decades! The government simply will not spend the money. They pay lip service to the problem from time to time, but nothing ever changes. All they do is argue, and argue, and argue. It is shameful.

Yes, I would love for you to tell me about Attila the Hun! We don't learn very much about him in school, and what we do learn is, I'm afraid, not very nice. So yes, do tell!

I understand what you mean about our highways being intimidating. I've lived in the plains my whole life. Everything is pretty flat. When I go up to Montana it will be my first time to have to drive in the mountains! I can't say I'm afraid, but it does make me a little nervous. Wish me luck!

I leave this Sunday for Montana and the Crow Reservation. I'll be up there for a week. It will be nice to escape the heat a little. It was 103 degrees (39.4 C) today, and it is supposed to get up to 41 - 42 degrees C later in the week! It is a good 20 degrees cooler in Billings than it is here!

I can't wait. I'll have 3-4 days to check out Billings and the surrounding area, including the Crow Reservation and the Northern Cheyenne Reservation. And then I'll be at the Crow Fair powwow for a couple days. One day, I might take a day trip south toward Wyoming, and take the Beartooth Highway down to Yellowstone Nat'l Park, then loop back up to Billings. The Beartooth is supposed to be one of the most beautiful scenic drives in the country. What a way to learn to drive in the mountains!

Well, I'll let you go for now. Talk to you later.

RD
Old 08-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi RD!
Unfortunately I don't have too much time for reply . My son was sick , he's better now , but I'm still worry.
He 's going back to States on tuesday , you can imagine how sad I am now.
I just want to wish you good luck and a safe trip. I totally understand what do you feel regarding driving in the mountains but I'm sure you will face the difficulties.
So have a very good time.I know that's a beautiful place and you meet there wonderful people.
I wish you and all people at the Crow fair all the best.I wish i could be there to.
I hope we talk later.
Take care ! Attila
Sponsored Links