• 3 Post By nicamarvin
  • 4 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 1 Post By nicamarvin
  • 1 Post By nicamarvin
  • 2 Post By nicamarvin
  • 1 Post By NuriWoman
  • 1 Post By nicamarvin
  • 1 Post By nicamarvin

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Greetings From Nicaragua Greetings From Nicaragua

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 325.31
Savings: 0.00
Smile Greetings From Nicaragua

Hi there, My Name is Marvin and I am a Native from Nicaragua, when I was very young I used to Live in Ogden Utah till I graduated, then moved back to Nicaragua, back then I was approach/bumped into by a few Utes from that region and they greeted me in their language, which at the time surprised me because at the time(young teen years)I was not aware of the whole Native American/Amerind Historic/genetic connection, I was very young and I wish I knew better, because I am genetically Native yet not culturally, we lost that due to the aggressive Colonization, in Guatemala Mayans still have their language, but in Nicaragua our nahuatl language is all but gone.

I bump into this forum after searching for pics of powwows, I love them, they look so nice
nicamarvin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 126,213.15
Savings: 1.00
Enjoy your time on here, Marvin. Good to have you.

Did you hit any powwows when you lived up in the Northwest?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

nicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond reputenicamarvin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Enjoy your time on here, Marvin. Good to have you.

Did you hit any powwows when you lived up in the Northwest?
Thanks, I will sure enjoy it here, much to learn

no, but I really, really wish I had gone to at least one of them, I was very young, and not much aware of the Culture, back then I just another Latino/Hispanic, while not looking like one(most look Mestizo) just recently(few years back) my heart keeps telling me to be Proud of what I look like and to actually research and learn about my History, you see in Nicaragua while most people are mestizo a few Castizo, looking like a Plain Indian is not really a compliment, people look down on you because they think you are uneducated, but it has been like that for centuries, But Now I take Pride and Say, I am PROUD of what I look like, and I love it..
Ndnsoldierboy likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

I am a Paradox, I am a Native without a culture, I live in a country full of mestizos that look down upon me, Yet I love the Way I look, I speak spanish yet I am not a spaniard, I was born in Nicaragua(far from the USA) yet I seek help understanding my nature from you my distant cousings,

Last edited by nicamarvin; 05-05-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

I just uploaded my pic on my avatar, I need to let my hair grow long, long..
Ndnsoldierboy and NuriWoman like this.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

NuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scale
Credits: 376.03
Are you serious? I just responded to your other post about dancing! No wonder your name was Nica Marvin!

I was born there. Sihu Mankeme (soy chorotega en languaje chorotega).

My people are from Chinadega and Jinotega. I'm really proud to be indigenous, but I know how you feel about Nicas having self-hatred due to colonization. Some people here have it too.

It's not our fault, it was colonization and genocide that did that to us. We don't have to hide our heritage anymore though.

So are you Nahoa, then? You know Nahuatl is still spoken right? They speak it all over Mexico and El Salvador, they call it Pipil there. Very similar to Nahoa, which is the type from Nicoya.

I live in Cali. Headed to the big West Coast Pow Wow (Stanford) tomorrow. Where do you live?
gilisi likes this.
NuriWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

NuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scaleNuriWoman is off the scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicamarvin View Post
I am a Paradox, I am a Native without a culture
It's pretty difficult wanting to connect with your tribe and the old ways and finding out that Spanish did really do away with much of our traditions. Yet, we're still here, so they did not succeed in killing us off. I try to remember the one thing that is still with us from that time before the Spaniards came here to mess it up, and for me that is: We are all related because we are all children of Mother Earth.

You should add me on FB. I'm glad to have run into your posts here. Saludos y salud!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuriWoman View Post
Are you serious? I just responded to your other post about dancing! No wonder your name was Nica Marvin!

I was born there. Sihu Mankeme (soy chorotega en languaje chorotega).
Thanks I am Happy to see one of my people here

Quote:
It's not our fault, it was colonization and genocide that did that to us. We don't have to hide our heritage anymore though.
Maybe in the U.S.A or Canada where even if you have 1/8th of Native blood running thru your veins you take serious pride, and there is even a term for people trying to pretend to have Native blood in them, but in Nicaragua its different(I am sure this is the case for a few other countries ) where the more Native you look is the harder it gets, so the closer to European you look the best people treat you and as Sad as that may sound, thatís the sad true..

Quote:
So are you Nahoa, then? You know Nahuatl is still spoken right? They speak it all over Mexico and El Salvador, they call it Pipil there. Very similar to Nahoa, which is the type from Nicoya.
I am Nahoa(Nicarao) there are very few people in Nicaragua that speak Nahuatl, I am not one of them, so I commend you for your Chorotega language

Quote:
I live in Cali. Headed to the big West Coast Pow Wow (Stanford) tomorrow. Where do you live?
Wow its so Nice to Hear that one of my people will be in a big Pow Wow event representing,

Please Post Pics of the event and of you too...
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Just so you know, though, there are people with Native American heritage in the US who could care less about their Native culture. For many of the older generations being an Indian meant that they were discriminated against and suffered child abuse in schools, etc. It's not just us that were made to feel ashamed by Europeans and it's not our fault, remember that.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Just so you know, though, there are people with Native American heritage in the US who could care less about their Native culture. For many of the older generations being an Indian meant that they were discriminated against and suffered child abuse in schools, etc. It's not just us that were made to feel ashamed by Europeans and it's not our fault, remember that.
yes, I agree with you, but I am proud of my native background

this is me, on my way home after a day of work
windanncer likes this.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,736.96
Savings: 1.00
welcome

red beads...huh......lol
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
welcome

red beads...huh......lol
Thank you

I know right..!
Sponsored Links