Old 11-19-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Janel is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Smile Hello

Hello!
I just joined this group, and I was wondering if everyone are natives here? (I am white). Hope to hear from someone.......
:) Janel
Janel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2003, 10:15 PM   #2
Teen Dancer

biidabinukwe06 is a name known to all
hi and welcome! :Wave and yeah i'm Ojibwe:D
Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Smile I have a question

Hello rezgirl06!
I was just wondering if you had any affiliation with the (Minnesota) Detroit Lakes Band of Ojibwe? I just recently saw the drum and dance team, and they were wonderful! Probably a long shot, but I figured since you lived pretty close by, maybe you knew something about them
Talk to you later
;) Janel
Old 11-20-2003, 10:30 AM   #4
*~*~ Is Tha Prototype*~*~

Crow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond repute
Crow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond reputeCrow_hunny_420 has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 222.99
Welcome Yup there are Natives Hurr :sailingaw :hey!:
Old 11-20-2003, 12:08 PM   #5
Champion Dancer

true_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond reputetrue_native has a reputation beyond repute
Hello Janel...and welcome....and imagine that....natives here!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:32 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

biidabinukwe06 is a name known to all
hey janel! no, i've meet some of them a few times before and everything. i'm from LCO in wisconsin. close enough though i guess, lol.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:29 PM   #7
Champion Dancer

ron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Hello backatcha!
ron red eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2003, 01:27 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

I was wondering....

Hey! I was just wondering what you all think of a caucasian, (trying to be politically correct :) ), person, such as myself, studying and possibly teaching Native American history? I am interested in doing this because we were NEVER taught the history when I was in school. White kids have SO MANY PREJUDICES against Indians, it is pathetic. I want to teach my "people" the awesome culture they are missing out on. I was wondering what you all think about this.....please be honest!
Thanks!
Janel :)
Old 11-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Nishnabekwe is an unknown quantity at this point
go for it!

For one, I think that is an excellent idea. Another is that I agree with you. There are so many people out there who dont understand Anishnabe people and dont care to try. It is too bad there aren't more people like yourself out there who want to better the minds of society about native people.
History is something that I have always had a hard time with and didn't really go through history classes feeling very proud of being native. Before I knew myself first. Most times felt very resentful towards other students in my high school and found there was major racism going on all of the time, just because they were misinformed about the truths. I could go on and on about this all day (but dont worry I won't) and I am sure you are very aware of some of the issues we face already.
Sometimes I wonder if things are getting better or worse in terms of racism or people bring prejudice. In one specific area I can feel as if it is, people are understanding and interested. While other times you can just feel anger or resentment from racist people. So all I can say it give it all you got and good luck to you.
Nishnabekwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2003, 10:23 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks

Nishnabekwe,
Thank you sooo much for your feedback! It is really encouraging! To be honest, I sort of feel uncomfortable or something when people ask me what I want to do in college. I feel like sometimes, people are not going to take me seriously because I AM white. I have always had this desire to learn about the Native people. My dad has this theory that I have an "Indian spirit" guiding me. I know it may seem silly, but there are rumors that we have Lakota blood in our family. In fact, I am one of the few people in my family with darker features....so maybe? I can't explain why I love the culture so much, but it is just a feeling within me. I just get really pissed off when I hear people my age putting down minorities all the time. I mean, we took the damn country away from the Natives!!!! I know that it is not OUR fault, but there is a deep hurt, I think, that will probably never be resolved between "me and you." I just want people to sit up and realize they are WRONG!!! By the way, I saw Chris Eyre when he came to Fargo, ND. I love his work, and dragged my skeptical mom with me.....and she LOVES it too! Thanks again for your feedback. I would love to talk to you some more on this, or anyone with feelings about this. -whew!- I will shut up now!
Janel ;)
Old 12-04-2003, 02:07 PM   #11
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Hi; welcome!

:flowers:
Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #12
fancy feather dancer

robby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond reputerobby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 94.00
Savings: 1.00
someone should teach the younger generations that we are still here and not just in history books
robby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2003, 12:21 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

I agree

That's what I want to do!!! I am SO sick of classmates of mine saying all Natives live of the government, blah blah blah. I wish people would stop being ignorant! This goes for all races......
Janel
Sponsored Links