Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By saraoclara
  • 1 Post By docat
  • 1 Post By Joe's Dad

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Hello! :) Hello! :)

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
saraoclara is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 237.45
Savings: 0.00
Hello! :)

Hi everyone! Lila tanyan wacin yanke. My name is Sara. I'm (slowly) trying to learn the Lakota language, so pardon if I said it wrong!

I currently live in Iceland, though I am from the States (no particular place; military brat lifestyle ;)

I am also trying to involve myself in indigenous and environmental movements, such as Idle No More. I don't know how much good I'll do over here on this frozen island, but I try! :)

Anyway, I hope you will welcome me into this forum, and I can't wait to meet everyone.

-Sara
Stands Alone likes this.
saraoclara is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 19,485.51
Iykiŋyaŋ waŋčhyaŋke! Welcome to Powwows.com! It's nice to meet a fellow Lakota speaker (as both of us are learning). Hope you have fun around the site.

Tka akh waŋčhyaŋkiŋ kte!
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Pilamaya ye! (I don't know how to do them fancy word things like you yet :P) I do hope to see you around as well, it is always fun to meet another person trying to learn the wonderful Lakota heritage :)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraoclara View Post
Pilamaya ye! (I don't know how to do them fancy word things like you yet :P) I do hope to see you around as well, it is always fun to meet another person trying to learn the wonderful Lakota heritage :)

Living away from my tribe certainly poses some challenges in the learning/relearning process. I can only imagine how hard it is for you, living so far away across the pond. But it's always a pleasure to meet others! Are you Lakota as well, or just studying the language and heritage?

I have a little secret to doing certain letters such as ŋ and accent marks... I downloaded various keyboards and languages, so I can switch over between a typical english/usa keyboard, and other language keyboards for typing purposes. Or if on a different computer, type in Word first and use symbols and characters.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
Hi, nice to meet you. I'm also learning. I think I know where you can get the keyboard from. I haven't tried it yet. I will post it when I find it again.

toksa ake ye!
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
Living away from my tribe certainly poses some challenges in the learning/relearning process. I can only imagine how hard it is for you, living so far away across the pond. But it's always a pleasure to meet others! Are you Lakota as well, or just studying the language and heritage?

I have a little secret to doing certain letters such as ŋ and accent marks... I downloaded various keyboards and languages, so I can switch over between a typical english/usa keyboard, and other language keyboards for typing purposes. Or if on a different computer, type in Word first and use symbols and characters.
Ah yes, thank you. Muskrat_skull gave me a link to a very useful forum where one can download a Lakota keyboard (although thing's far too complicated for me, it'll take a while :P)

And I won't go so far as to say that I am Lakota. I don't rightly know my family ancestry besides a few "stories", so I think I will just call myself an enthusiast. ;) Yes, Iceland I'm sure has little to no American Indians, let alone Lakota, so I will be self-taught for now. I just hope I don't get a skewed accent when speaking Lakota and come off as a big idiot! :P

Did you know Lakota in childhood then? It is such a beautiful language and culture, it would be a shame to lose it, so I am very glad that you are reconnecting with your heritage. :)
I remember being in New Mexico and most of the Navajo children I knew had little interest in learning their language, and it's a story that can be applied to most aboriginal cultures. It's just so sad.

But anyway, I am very glad to meet you and Muskrat_skull (and any other members!) and I can't wait to take this journey with you. :)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Quote:
Did you know Lakota in childhood then? It is such a beautiful language and culture, it would be a shame to lose it, so I am very glad that you are reconnecting with your heritage. :)
I remember being in New Mexico and most of the Navajo children I knew had little interest in learning their language, and it's a story that can be applied to most aboriginal cultures. It's just so sad.

But anyway, I am very glad to meet you and Muskrat_skull (and any other members!) and I can't wait to take this journey with you. :)
I spoke some Lakota as a child, and I had been learning about our culture and traditions in childhood through one of my family members. But, how should I put it... The past few generations of my family have lived away from the rez, and the past 2 generations, my mother and grandmother, have been rather hostile to 'anything native'. They grew up during a time when anything considered ndn was negative and pretty much beaten out of them. My mother would constantly say "I don't give a crap about that Oglala sh*t. That's history, and you know how I feel about history". So as I got older, I stopped trying to learn (albeit neglecting my great grandmother who passed back in '08-09, and she was the last one in my family to really have a connection to our heritage). So now, I'm re-learning. Starting from the beginning as a child would, and finding my way.

It's not uncommon for many youth these days to have little interest in their culture. The younger generations are more concerned with other [superficial] things, rather than keeping traditions and culture alive and moving forward.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang View Post
I spoke some Lakota as a child, and I had been learning about our culture and traditions in childhood through one of my family members. But, how should I put it... The past few generations of my family have lived away from the rez, and the past 2 generations, my mother and grandmother, have been rather hostile to 'anything native'. They grew up during a time when anything considered ndn was negative and pretty much beaten out of them. My mother would constantly say "I don't give a crap about that Oglala sh*t. That's history, and you know how I feel about history". So as I got older, I stopped trying to learn (albeit neglecting my great grandmother who passed back in '08-09, and she was the last one in my family to really have a connection to our heritage). So now, I'm re-learning. Starting from the beginning as a child would, and finding my way.

It's not uncommon for many youth these days to have little interest in their culture. The younger generations are more concerned with other [superficial] things, rather than keeping traditions and culture alive and moving forward.
I went through similar things. I did hear my grandma speak, under her breath, to us kids and we would have to be quiet to hear it. "shhh grandma's speaking..." then we cranked the tv back up because we didnt understand it. My uncles would say, oh she's just drunk because they didn't learn and they were drunk. I got "dont ask her it will just embarass her". but it isn't like being Italian or something. my family never wanted to stand out as being different from the non-ndn neighbors, never talked about it.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Sometimes it's good to know where you came from, to know where you're going. We can't change the past, but we can learn what we can in order to move forward and change the future.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
Head Dancer

Items Treasure ChestPresentDolphin
Tsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Tsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond reputeTsalagi_Phoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 33,314.15
Hello Sara and welcome :)

And look, a Stitch smiley!
Tsalagi_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Agley is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 175.32
Hey,My name is Agley.I am just new in this community but i am looking forward to have a great conversation or exchanging ideas with you guys.You can share your problems with me.I welcome to the already member of this community....
Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #12
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agley View Post
Hey,My name is Agley.I am just new in this community but i am looking forward to have a great conversation or exchanging ideas with you guys.You can share your problems with me.I welcome to the already member of this community....

Please tell us a little about yourself! You don't list anything in your profile.
Stands Alone likes this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 122,327.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Hmmmm
Stands Alone likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Champion Dancer

Items SwordTreasure Chest
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 26,093.49
Quote:
Hi everyone! Lila tanyan wacin yanke. My name is Sara. I'm (slowly) trying to learn the Lakota language, so pardon if I said it wrong!

I currently live in Iceland, though I am from the States (no particular place; military brat lifestyle ;)

I am also trying to involve myself in indigenous and environmental movements, such as Idle No More. I don't know how much good I'll do over here on this frozen island, but I try! :)

Anyway, I hope you will welcome me into this forum, and I can't wait to meet everyone.

-Sara
Welcome to the site Sara! Lots of good people here!
Stands Alone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Champion Dancer

Items SwordTreasure Chest
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Stands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond reputeStands Alone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 26,093.49
Quote:
Do you really want us to share our problems with you???? I have a problem...I can't find the like button...
Stands Alone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links