PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Introductions (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/)
-   -   Hello (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/hello-70061/)

CaudwellianDialect 04-09-2016 04:05 PM

Hello

Hi, I am an aspiring writer, mostly science fiction/fantasy, though I also really like horror, and am interested in learning about Native Americans for a book, though it is not really about Native Americans but another reality where the continents of North and South American are different, making it so history is different in general. I don't know a thing about Native American culture. I have read science articles on it, but would like to talk to some Native American people as well. \

BTW, so far I have been reading. I like the statement regarding Maple Syrup.

:smile:

AmigoKumeyaay 04-09-2016 06:16 PM

Skinwalkers?

CaudwellianDialect 04-09-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1625568)
Skinwalkers?

I don't know what a skinwalker is. I have read some articles on it, but I mean, is it anything like a pathfinder?

Edit 1: Oh okay, I did not understand the question. No they are not skinwalkers, it is alternative history, and to make the story work I altered the geography. North and South America thus end up like a Half-Pangea Super-Continent, giving them way more land and resources then the Europeans. As you can imagine, this alteration of geography could change a lot.

AmigoKumeyaay 04-09-2016 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There's Something Out There Waiting For Us, and it Ain't No Man.

CaudwellianDialect 04-09-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1625570)

Dude I'm not a skinwalker.

AmigoKumeyaay 04-09-2016 06:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ghengis Khan did great in his time, even John Wayne wanted some of that!

AmigoKumeyaay 04-09-2016 06:43 PM

What about Smallpox, and other diseases? which side will have that as a weapon?

AmigoKumeyaay 04-09-2016 06:47 PM

They did not have fleets of warships, that would have prevented any invasion by the Euros

CaudwellianDialect 04-09-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1625573)
What about Smallpox, and other diseases? which side will have that as a weapon?

It evens out. The Europeans had more diseases because of their large population densities, unsanitary living conditions (new evidence showed that eating rats helped induce the Black Plague, which may have been air born), and their domesticated animals (a huge amount of modern diseases actually came from animals we have domesticated. )

So they have diseases. The Anowarkowans have more domesticated animals (so more of a basis for inducing diseases and building a broader immune system) but are also a lot cleaner (they bathe more, I am not sure if Plain's Natives bathed more then Europeans, but North-Easterners claim they did and I bet they are right) and they have better medical technology. They actually bring better medical technology to the Medievals, who at this time, according to forensics, are one-two feet shorter then the average person (save for the nobility), have horrible teeth, bent backs and broken ribs (indicative of a lifestyle of harsh labor and violence), and show general malnourishment.

Keep in mind, Medieval medicine was so bad at this time, one Muslim scholar wrote to fix a head ache they poked a hole in a person's skull during the crusades to "let the demon out."

Overall, the disease favors the Anowarkowans, but only slightly (I actually have fun with this and make up diseases of my own with weird effects) but not as much as it id with regards to the Europeans vs the Native Americans in real life.

Part of this is I want to show the cultural interactions.

As for Genghis Khan, he once filled an entire moat up with woman and children to help his army across a deep moat into a castle. I do not personally like Genghis Khan.

Joe's Dad 04-10-2016 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaudwellianDialect (Post 1625560)
Hi, I am an aspiring writer, mostly science fiction/fantasy, though I also really like horror, and am interested in learning about Native Americans for a book, though it is not really about Native Americans but another reality where the continents of North and South American are different, making it so history is different in general. I don't know a thing about Native American culture. I have read science articles on it, but would like to talk to some Native American people as well. \

They beat you to it.

gilisi 04-10-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaudwellianDialect (Post 1625560)

You aren't going to find what you're looking for here. First, there are more than 500 tribes, so when you say Native American culture it's a very broad term. Second, even if you did decide you want to include the "culture" of a specific tribe, there isn't one NDN in these forums who will be willing to share with you. This is beacause of the REAL history of our continent. Culture, a.k.a. intellectual property has a value and a purpose. It is often miss-used and miss-interpreted.

respectfully,

Guy

OLChemist 04-10-2016 09:31 PM

Alternative histories are intriguing, though a well plowed field. (As I write this I'm listening to Heather Alexander's songs based on Lion's Blood.)

We certainly have Native authors who write sci-fi and horror. A.A. Carr (Eye Killers) and Stephen G Jones (After the People Lights Have Gone Off) spring to mind. Gerold Visenor (sp) took a turn writing about a post-gasoline future in Darkness in Saint Louis Bearheart. And authors who work in that intersection of the spiritual powers, spirit beings and modern life -- what some of us call the Native life -- but scholars call magical realism often get shoehorned into fantasy. Having grown up hearing warnings about Artiodactyla seductresses who could steal a piece of a man's soul through intimate relations, I was quite startled to discover Erdrich's Antelope Wife won a world fantasy award, being regarded by the dominant culture as fantasy while stores of their own religious tales are not.

The above is my round about way of getting to the twin 800lb gorillas sitting in the room: appropriation and stereotyping. I'm not among those who believe non-Natives cannot write about Natives and do it well. But, sadly they are the exception. It takes extended, deep exposure -- a reverse acculturation. To often "fictionalization" or "alternative history" is used as an excuse for writing cardboard Indians, Na'vis in buckskin or white people in brown-face. Even in fantasy you must be true to elements of some Native culture's ethos, or it isn't Native at all. The article below skims the surface of this problem.

They're Not Ghosts

The other issue, is appropriation. Native cultures are routinely treated like an all you can eat buffet of intellectual property. We've been plundered. We've seen everything from headdresses to sweat lodges, torn from their cultural context and twisted and sold. In short exploited. There is a very fine line. Be warned, saying your story is in a different timeline does not free you from this.

milehighsalute 04-12-2016 05:48 PM

whoo hooo where is everone for this dogpile? LAST ONE IN IS A ROTTEN EGG!!!! gangway!!!!!

AmigoKumeyaay 04-12-2016 08:00 PM

Now You Done it !

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u-g7TB23cB...e_2439762b.jpg

wyo_rose 04-13-2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1625570)

My favorite actor in my favorite movie!! Well..one of the favs!

Back on subject, I've always heard you have to write what you know...so better stick with a fantasy situation.

wyo_rose 04-13-2016 10:27 AM

Hey, where'd Billy go?
http://stvivona.webs.com/photos/-Actors/billy.jpg

OK, that's better! :tongue:

cris_neva 05-17-2016 03:19 PM

Yah ta hey PW friends....it's been a cool minute!:hello:

Toolbox 05-17-2016 04:37 PM

Welcome back!

cris_neva 05-17-2016 05:23 PM

Thanks....took me a minute to log in but I'm back! :wink_smil

cris_neva 05-17-2016 05:26 PM

Guess I'll update my pics and stuff....then bother around in a few other threads and see what's the haps in the arcade....see if I'm still the champ....:lol: