Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CaudwellianDialect is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 177.53
Savings: 0.00
Hello

Hi, I am an aspiring writer, mostly science fiction/fantasy, though I also really like horror, and am interested in learning about Native Americans for a book, though it is not really about Native Americans but another reality where the continents of North and South American are different, making it so history is different in general. I don't know a thing about Native American culture. I have read science articles on it, but would like to talk to some Native American people as well. \

BTW, so far I have been reading. I like the statement regarding Maple Syrup.

thelukejohns likes this.

Last edited by CaudwellianDialect; 04-09-2016 at 04:47 PM..
CaudwellianDialect is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,487.66
Savings: 1.00
Skinwalkers?
thelukejohns likes this.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
Skinwalkers?
I don't know what a skinwalker is. I have read some articles on it, but I mean, is it anything like a pathfinder?

Edit 1: Oh okay, I did not understand the question. No they are not skinwalkers, it is alternative history, and to make the story work I altered the geography. North and South America thus end up like a Half-Pangea Super-Continent, giving them way more land and resources then the Europeans. As you can imagine, this alteration of geography could change a lot.
thelukejohns likes this.

Last edited by CaudwellianDialect; 04-09-2016 at 06:26 PM..
Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
On The Rocks

AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
There's Something Out There Waiting For Us, and it Ain't No Man.
Attached Thumbnails
6a7d8d37585a6a0f6cb26e95bdfd831c.jpg  
wyo_rose, gilisi and thelukejohns like this.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Dude I'm not a skinwalker.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
On The Rocks

Ghengis Khan did great in his time, even John Wayne wanted some of that!
Attached Thumbnails
main-qimg-e899f71d120720494e4e54ae26617763.jpeg   main-qimg-a985297adc3093b358a008f46365bfae.jpg   johnwayne-art.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
On The Rocks

What about Smallpox, and other diseases? which side will have that as a weapon?
Itzhecatl likes this.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #8
On The Rocks

They did not have fleets of warships, that would have prevented any invasion by the Euros
Old 04-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
What about Smallpox, and other diseases? which side will have that as a weapon?
It evens out. The Europeans had more diseases because of their large population densities, unsanitary living conditions (new evidence showed that eating rats helped induce the Black Plague, which may have been air born), and their domesticated animals (a huge amount of modern diseases actually came from animals we have domesticated. )

So they have diseases. The Anowarkowans have more domesticated animals (so more of a basis for inducing diseases and building a broader immune system) but are also a lot cleaner (they bathe more, I am not sure if Plain's Natives bathed more then Europeans, but North-Easterners claim they did and I bet they are right) and they have better medical technology. They actually bring better medical technology to the Medievals, who at this time, according to forensics, are one-two feet shorter then the average person (save for the nobility), have horrible teeth, bent backs and broken ribs (indicative of a lifestyle of harsh labor and violence), and show general malnourishment.

Keep in mind, Medieval medicine was so bad at this time, one Muslim scholar wrote to fix a head ache they poked a hole in a person's skull during the crusades to "let the demon out."

Overall, the disease favors the Anowarkowans, but only slightly (I actually have fun with this and make up diseases of my own with weird effects) but not as much as it id with regards to the Europeans vs the Native Americans in real life.

Part of this is I want to show the cultural interactions.

As for Genghis Khan, he once filled an entire moat up with woman and children to help his army across a deep moat into a castle. I do not personally like Genghis Khan.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 122,327.61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudwellianDialect View Post
Hi, I am an aspiring writer, mostly science fiction/fantasy, though I also really like horror, and am interested in learning about Native Americans for a book, though it is not really about Native Americans but another reality where the continents of North and South American are different, making it so history is different in general. I don't know a thing about Native American culture. I have read science articles on it, but would like to talk to some Native American people as well. \

They beat you to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,631.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudwellianDialect View Post

You aren't going to find what you're looking for here. First, there are more than 500 tribes, so when you say Native American culture it's a very broad term. Second, even if you did decide you want to include the "culture" of a specific tribe, there isn't one NDN in these forums who will be willing to share with you. This is beacause of the REAL history of our continent. Culture, a.k.a. intellectual property has a value and a purpose. It is often miss-used and miss-interpreted.

respectfully,

Guy

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 64,685.36
Alternative histories are intriguing, though a well plowed field. (As I write this I'm listening to Heather Alexander's songs based on Lion's Blood.)

We certainly have Native authors who write sci-fi and horror. A.A. Carr (Eye Killers) and Stephen G Jones (After the People Lights Have Gone Off) spring to mind. Gerold Visenor (sp) took a turn writing about a post-gasoline future in Darkness in Saint Louis Bearheart. And authors who work in that intersection of the spiritual powers, spirit beings and modern life -- what some of us call the Native life -- but scholars call magical realism often get shoehorned into fantasy. Having grown up hearing warnings about Artiodactyla seductresses who could steal a piece of a man's soul through intimate relations, I was quite startled to discover Erdrich's Antelope Wife won a world fantasy award, being regarded by the dominant culture as fantasy while stores of their own religious tales are not.

The above is my round about way of getting to the twin 800lb gorillas sitting in the room: appropriation and stereotyping. I'm not among those who believe non-Natives cannot write about Natives and do it well. But, sadly they are the exception. It takes extended, deep exposure -- a reverse acculturation. To often "fictionalization" or "alternative history" is used as an excuse for writing cardboard Indians, Na'vis in buckskin or white people in brown-face. Even in fantasy you must be true to elements of some Native culture's ethos, or it isn't Native at all. The article below skims the surface of this problem.

They're Not Ghosts

The other issue, is appropriation. Native cultures are routinely treated like an all you can eat buffet of intellectual property. We've been plundered. We've seen everything from headdresses to sweat lodges, torn from their cultural context and twisted and sold. In short exploited. There is a very fine line. Be warned, saying your story is in a different timeline does not free you from this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 04-12-2016 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Wow, I needed to proofread that post.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
whoo hooo where is everone for this dogpile? LAST ONE IN IS A ROTTEN EGG!!!! gangway!!!!!
windanncer likes this.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
On The Rocks

Now You Done it !

windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Quote:
My favorite actor in my favorite movie!! Well..one of the favs!

Back on subject, I've always heard you have to write what you know...so better stick with a fantasy situation.
windanncer and gilisi like this.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Hey, where'd Billy go?

OK, that's better!
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #17
CheyManche Mommy

Items ElephantElephantPresent
cris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond repute
cris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 54,978.29
Yah ta hey PW friends....it's been a cool minute!
Be humble, but not shy.
Be confident, but not arrogant.

Lessons Learned In Life
cris_neva is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 82,072.92
Welcome back!
Spiritflight and cris_neva like this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
CheyManche Mommy

cris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond repute
cris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond reputecris_neva has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks....took me a minute to log in but I'm back!
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
Be humble, but not shy.

Lessons Learned In Life
Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #20
CheyManche Mommy

Guess I'll update my pics and stuff....then bother around in a few other threads and see what's the haps in the arcade....see if I'm still the champ....
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
Be humble, but not shy.

Lessons Learned In Life
Sponsored Links