Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Hello from Germany Hello from Germany

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,392.81
Savings: 0.00
Hello from Germany

As new members introduce themselves here, so do I. In what follows, I talk to much but talking to each other is what we do here.

English is not my mother tongue and it often will be difficult to explain thoughts in English because I think in my mother tongue and English words might have slightly different meanings than their German equivalent. When it comes to emotional issues the difficulty increase a lot more.

I am a white man and here is a lot of talk about blood quantum. I live in a region, which was for more than ten thousand years a crossroad for people wandering from north to south and east to west and vice versa.

I am what I am in my heart and much of that is achieved by education in the culure I live in, others by learning about other ways and deciding what feels right or wrong to adopt to. And there are emotions in ones heart which aren’t explained by rational reasons. It is simply there because it was given by the Lord, creator of World.

I do not want to dance, sing, beat the drum on pow wows or participate in ceremonies unless I would be invited to do so by a person who is entitled to invite me. I think, such an invitation is an honor which is to be accepted in order to honor the person who offered the invitation. I would visit pow wows to watch and learn and enjoy it.

There is a thread about the obsession of white people to be ndn’s and imitating them. When I was a young boy, between six and twelve years we played cowboy and Indian. I preferred to be the “Indian” not because there was a rational reason but it was a feeling by heart which I did not question as boy but I took as being naturally given. Getting older the education in the surrounding culture eroded those emotions away.

Becoming many years older, the past began surfacing again now with the wish to learn and understand native Americans and their way of live in the past and today. This requires to get rid of all the wrong views. Not an easy thing to do. That is a learning process.

As there are over 500 tribes in North America, I am for personal reasons some I might explain, some not, interested in the culture, history and crafts of the Sicangu, Hunkpapa and Oglala. Among the reasons why I am interestd in that tribes are the books of Joseph Marshall II “A Hundred in the Hand” and “Large Knives are Crying” and Ohiyesa’s book an “Indian Boyhood”.

I like stories as stories connect us to our past and tell us where we come from and tell us lessions to be learned. I value Joseph Marshalls Prologue and Epilogue as his personal stories shared to teach a lesson of its own to the reader very much.

When I subscribed to this forum, I wanted to use my first real name but as expected, it is already in use by someone else. Therefore, I was forced to find another name and choose the one, which connects me with my bows and arrows and represents a story, which I might tell one day.

What I really like is beadwork. It is just beautiful . I read a reprint of “Sioux Quill and Beadwork” and some Books published by Eagle View and Dover Books about beadwork. To learn beading by doing patterns in the book is possible. Beading has special meaning to me. What comes much harder is to design own patterns which are traditional but not copies of existing beadwork.

In short I am here to read and learn and may ask some questions when in need of guidance to go along further.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links