PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Introductions (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/)
-   -   Hello I am Hummingbird from Fl. (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/hello-i-am-hummingbird-fl-47567/)

hummingbird45 10-03-2008 07:13 PM

Hello I am Hummingbird from Fl.

I sure would like to talk with other native americans. My dad is a Cherokee Chief. He is Chief Grey Eagle. He has lived with me for almost a year. We are planning on starting a language class plus we would love to go to local Pow Wow. My father is a Vietnam veteran, and he is somewhat disabled. He dosen't have many friends. I have some since i am tied in with a wonderful church. However i need e-mail pen pals from Ga. Planning on going to Ga. in 2 yrs. Any Native Americans send me a thread i guess.

Lakota Wiyan 10-04-2008 02:15 PM

**Looking Around**

Anyone? I'm not well, so Im not up to it right now....

walelaGA 10-04-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan (Post 1219871)
**Looking Around**

:teeth_smi

I don't feel up to it either and wasn't grey eagle lakota?? just wondering

hummingbird45 10-04-2008 04:28 PM

i am sorry yu feel sick. Call on the Great Spirit, he will heal yu!

hummingbird45 10-04-2008 04:30 PM

My father was born with that name. It is actually Chief Grey Eagle on his birth record. Do yu live in N.C. OR GA.?

they_drag_him 10-04-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan (Post 1219871)
**Looking Around**

no, not me, i'm not in the mood either. **dashes back into the underverse**

ewoaf 10-04-2008 05:26 PM

no no no no...I coulda swore he was Cheyenne...I think that movie was just on a couple weeks ago..

Josiah 10-04-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird45 (Post 1219610)
I sure would like to talk with other native americans. My dad is a Cherokee Chief. He is Chief Grey Eagle. He has lived with me for almost a year. We are planning on starting a language class plus we would love to go to local Pow Wow. My father is a Vietnam veteran, and he is somewhat disabled. He dosen't have many friends. I have some since i am tied in with a wonderful church. However i need e-mail pen pals from Ga. Planning on going to Ga. in 2 yrs. Any Native Americans send me a thread i guess.

Wow
Where to start....
So this Grey Eagle is Chief from birth or just uses the name Chief?
If a Chief what Cherokee Nation, Tribe or Band is he Chief of??

These are questions that come to mind right away
There will be more that is for sure

timmy tiger 10-04-2008 06:03 PM

^^^What he said.

My head is racing right now.

Who is your father's family?
Where did they originally come from?

hummingbird45 10-04-2008 07:21 PM

Originally my father was born here on a Cherokee Reservation that was near what they call now Orlando. Then they lived some in Griffin Ga., then they moved to N.C., then they settled in Valdosta. Most of Dad's family crossed over there.

timmy tiger 10-04-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird45 (Post 1219918)
Originally my father was born here on a Cherokee Reservation that was near what they call now Orlando. Then they lived some in Griffin Ga., then they moved to N.C., then they settled in Valdosta. Most of Dad's family crossed over there.

:eyepop:

There are only two federally recognized Cherokee "Reservations" and one is actually considered a "Boundary". One is in OK and the other one is in NC. There are 3 Federally recognized Tribes/Bands of Cherokee in the US and Florida isn't one of them. As far as I know from any of the records the Cherokee nation lands never were in Florida. I'm thinking that either you or your father are confused or getting the wrong Tribe/Nation. And I have never heard of a Cherokee Reservation in FL.

What are your father's family names?

they_drag_him 10-04-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmy tiger (Post 1219919)
:eyepop:

There are only two federally recognized Cherokee "Reservations" and one is actually considered a "Boundary". One is in OK and the other one is in NC. There are 3 Federally recognized Tribes/Bands of Cherokee in the US and Florida isn't one of them. As far as I know from any of the records the Cherokee nation lands never were in Florida. I'm thinking that either you or your father are confused or getting the wrong Tribe/Nation. And I have never heard of a Cherokee Reservation in FL.

What are your father's family names?

It is actually Chief Grey Eagle on his birth record according to hummingbird. So, by deduction, Chief :eyepop: is the first name, Grey :eyepop: is the middle name and Eagle :eyepop: must be the family name. And his daughter must be Hummingbird :eyepop: Blue :eyepop: Eagle :eyepop: .

timmy tiger 10-04-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by they_drag_him (Post 1219924)
It is actually Chief Grey Eagle on his birth record according to hummingbird. So, by deduction, Chief :eyepop: is the first name, Grey :eyepop: is the middle name and Eagle :eyepop: must be the family name. And his daughter must be Hummingbird :eyepop: Blue :eyepop: Eagle :eyepop: .

:lol:

Good point.

Josiah 10-04-2008 08:38 PM

Orlando Indian Reservation

So which one is your Dad??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UM7Hm6NM4Xk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UM7Hm6NM4Xk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Josiah 10-04-2008 09:03 PM

Myths and legends written by White men

The Legend of Tallulah
A white hunter by chance found himself on a Cherokee trail in Tallulah Falls. He was found by the Indian maiden Tallulah, only daughter of Grey Eagle, chief of the Cherokees. She fell in love with him and led him to her father's camp at Council Rocks, where, due to the lateness of the hour, he was told he could stay the night.

Because it was a bad omen for a white man to be found in an Indian camp and because of jealousy, the young Indian men demanded the immediate trial and execution of the stranger. Grey Eagle was forced to pronounce sentence of death. The hunter was to be bound hand and foot and thrown over the cliff into the gorge, 900 feet below.

Tallulah begged her father not to execute the white man, but the chief would not change his judgement for fear of being considered a weakling. His daughter threatened to jump off the cliff if he carried out the sentence. Sadly, Grey Eagle did not believe her. Just as the young man was thrown over the cliff, Tallulah came running from the back of the camp and leaped from the cliff. From that time forward, the cliff is known as "Lover's Leap."

On the third day after the tragedy, Grey Eagle moved his camp two miles away from Council Rocks to a gap in the mountains between Tallulah Mountain and Hickory Nut Mountain, where he eventually died and was buried.

This is what is said of the story:
There is a delightful legend about one Chief Grey Eagle–whose rough granite throne was until recently on the campus of Tallulah Falls School–incorporating an ill-fated romance between a white man and a beautiful Cherokee woman, Lover’s Leap, and that sort of thing. I like the story. I have sat many times in Grey Eagle’s chair. I have even looked over Lover’s Leap from the rim of the gorge and I have looked up at it from the depth of the rocky gorge. Unfortunately, the story is just a legend with not a whit of historical truth. But, still, what stories could Grey Eagle’s chair tell us?

hummingbird45 10-04-2008 09:04 PM

This is what is on my Indian ID CARD. Southern Bird Clan of Keetoowah, The Great Cherokee Nation, Clan-Bird, Band-Keetoowah. My dad is Chief Greyeagle Parker.My TSALAGI MAME IS Walelu. His dsd's name was Blackeyed Parker. My dad was born on a Cherokee settlement in 1940 in or near Orlando, maybe near WinterHAVEN.If yu saw my father, yu could tell he's Cherokee. I am not bragging but i am proud to be a native American.

hummingbird45 10-04-2008 09:06 PM

I know where that is! It's in Alabama, I have been there!

Josiah 10-04-2008 09:31 PM

Many Many have come here to Powwows.com with stories...
Just once I wish it would not about cherokees

Sigh...

Ok I have no doubt you and your father believe he is a Chief Grey Eagle...
I have no doubt that you believe this with all your heart and despite everything that will be posted on here that belief will not be shaken!!!

But understand something...
There are some among us that does have knowledge.
Hear me when I say this and I mean this with the utmost respect
All the Cherokees have been accounted for.
ALL the family names going back generations are documented and can be looked up in Cherokee NC and Tahlequah Oklahoma

There is no others...

Josiah 10-04-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird45 (Post 1219939)
I know where that is! It's in Alabama, I have been there!

Umm its in Georgia

Habersham County, Georgia: First There Were Indians

NancyJo 10-04-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiah (Post 1219932)
Orlando Indian Reservation

So which one is your Dad??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UM7Hm6NM4Xk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UM7Hm6NM4Xk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ummmm, so would that be the NEW official Cherokee dance outfit??????

My, my..........

Gonna be some raised eyebrows at the next Grand Entry, eh?

ROTFLMAO!!!