Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions hi looking for friends hi looking for friends

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #41
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Eagle released is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,669.48
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
My questions is...have you physically visited any of the 'reserves' or met an indigenous person? What have you touched of the Native culture? Where did you feel the Native spirituality to fall in love with it? What makes you think the Indigenous Ones live in nature? Can you tell more of 'having at heart', the 'problems' on the 'reserves'?

Because...if you look real close...and study what you said...there is no difference...in all that you say...about the First Nations people...as someone else has said about the Mafia.
Hi Joe's Dad

Sorry but I have described positive Indians say that Italians are mafiosi is not very positive.
It is true there is the mafia, as there were Indians villains (or bad), but most is not so, we look at the positive of a people.....

Respond to your questions:
1) I have never visited a reserve, but I read what they write (even in this forum).
I have spoken about an Indian years ago, exactly in Venice.
2) Their wisdom, their way of life, accept and respect that ' was ' to everything and everyone.
3) Reading their story, their uses (see the dances to gods or to 4 elements)
4) Getting the story, narrated by them. Experiencing nature, for me is to live with what nature offers you!
5) I read about unemployment, people living in shacks, diseases caused by this way of living.
I can't do much, but if I can donate even just a smile I would be happy.
It will be a drop in the ocean is true, but it is better that to watch impassive without doing anything!

I am no longer baby, but maybe I'm only a romantic dreamer?
Bye bye
Eagle released is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #42
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 122,327.61
Savings: 1.00
Eagle (I don't know whether to say sir or sweetie. LOL).

It doesn't matter if the responses are positive or negative. Both responses are made WITHOUT knowing the true facts. Only stereotypical descriptions learned from books, movies, etc..

It is honorable in what you offer, even if it may only be a smile. Smiles and hugs go a long way.

Romantic dreamer? You will have to decide that. Don't let me discourage you. There may be a time where your dreams come true and you visit America and meet the Indigenous Ones.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi dear Joe's
certainly that are learned from afar, it's not my fault if I was born on the other side of the Earth ,for now I have to content myself with believing what others write, but in the heart I hope to come to america to visit one (or more) reservation.
I am in this forum to better understand and to know a reality, then when I get chance, I will check in person!
bye bye
Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #44
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 64,601.32
Eagle Released, welcome to the wackiness, that is powwows.com. Let me share a few things I've had to explain -- repeatedly -- over the years. They may smooth our way to mutual understanding.

1) There is no monolithic Native culture. There is no single Native spirituality, religion, language, viewpoint. There are literally hundreds of different Native cultures. Some are as different from one another as Japanese culture is from French culture. The Creator made us many different people, speaking hundreds of different languages and possessed of hundreds of different worldviews.

So, don't expect all Native people to look like actors in the movies. Some of us are tall and thin, some short and round. Some have dark eyes, others green or even blue. Some are dark, some are fair.

Not all Native peoples were historically buffalo hunting nomads. There was as varied a range of lifeways in the New World as the Old. At the time of contact, there were cities in the New World that outstripped those of the Old. There were trading networks to rival the Silk Road. The historical political systems were as diverse as the environments in which Native people learned to thrive.

2) By and large Native religions are not missionary. They are not driven by the Great Commission to seek converts. There is no one true way. Most act for the good of the community first. They tend to be specific to place and people.

Generally, they arise from worldviews that do not have the same intellectual cant as European traditions. Most protect the sanctity of the sacred with various veils of privacy and respect. For this reason there are often strict formula for the sharing of sacred knowledge that keep certain subjects from being openly discussed.

This is not an act of selfishness or exclusion. But, instead respects the integrity of the culture and preserves the power of the sacred.

3) Modern Native people live in the modern world. They pursue a range of professions and live a diversity of lifestyles. They are no more relics of the past then are members of the dominant culture.

The adoption and enculturation of the material culture or technology of the dominant culture is not a sign of assimilation. Like all human cultures, Native cultures are malleable and adapt to the needs of the people. As all people do, Native people take new technologies, invest them with their own meanings and use them to serve their ends.

Native people are first and foremost people. Like all other people they are not uniformly good or bad, but are just as varied, complex and flawed as members of the dominant culture.

Last edited by OLChemist; 12-11-2011 at 07:24 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #45
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
I get so excited when I read the words you write!

Now, if I could only understand them! LOL

You rock, Miss OLChemist!

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 12-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #46
Pow Wow Visitor

Hi Olchemist

What you said about what new? Only the evolution of a people, as all peoples!
I do not believe in film (perhaps to documentaries) and beautiful indian actors (Even if they are beautiful to see )
I am here to learn about the history, but it seems that this does not like it.
You're talking about as i was a girl, Perhaps i don't know me to understand what i try.
I believe that almost 50 years certain things i understand of life!
I was hoping to find something more in this place, but perhaps i was wrong...
Is beautiful laughing and joking between friends, but i had hoped also in something serious!

If I have misunderstood,i'm sorry.
Bye Bye
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #47
I'm a bad influence on ME

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Location: jaw-ja, you know, way down yonder in the land of cotton....
Credits: 26,775.11
Quote:
Is this coming from the person who runs around half naked in the middle of the night hanging clothes in front of an audience...and shoots guns????

Sheesh! I can't believe you agree with trouble. You know she's trouble!
HEY BIG DADDY!!! LEAVE the LIL' LADY ALONE OR I'M GONNA HAVE TO CUFF YOU TO A CHAIR OR SUMFIN!!...

( HIDE ME COMADRE!!!)

WAIT...NO...I KNOW WHAT TO DO...

APACHEFIRE.
..HELP!!!

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #48
Green Eyed

agtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scaleagtommy is off the scale
Credits: 958.89
Hi to everyone; I am new here and saw that eveyone was showing thier work and liked to bead and create things. You all do such beautiful work!
I am originally from South Carolina, but now live in Alaska, in a small village ust south of Fairbanks. The village is approx.350 people, about half being native. I consider myself Cherokee, though I am unreconized by any tribe. My husband is full Athabascan Indian, and we both do beading and make traditional and contemperary Native jewelry, pouches, moccacin/slipper tops, glove tops and lots more. We post our pieces to sell on Etsy.com.
I really enjoy looking at everyone work and would like to share pictures of our work too. I hope you enjoy them as I do yours. I like to discuss making things and like to see people wearing thier pieces with the pride and love we make it with. I would love to hear you comments and hope to hear from you all.
"All things in love"
agtommy"
agtommy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #49
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
Quote:
Is this coming from the person who runs around half naked in the middle of the night hanging clothes in front of an audience...and shoots guns????

Sheesh! I can't believe you agree with trouble. You know she's trouble!
Is this your first day here? It was the nine and not the 45 and it was the snake and not the audience.THAT makes me genteil! Say it J.D!
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #50
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
Is this your first day here? It was the nine and not the 45 and it was the snake and not the audience.THAT makes me genteil! Say it J.D!
The way Lucy has Charlie is the way my massage lady had me this morning!!!

If you're anything as mean as her, then let me say it in front of the whole world...

c-mom, you're a genteil woman!!!

Ummm...what is a genteil???

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #51
outnumbered

comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Let me find the dictionary and I'll let you know!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #52
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Let me find the dictionary and I'll let you know!
Isn't that a person who has vapours, drinks minty drinks and exclaims.. "Why Mr JD!" ;)
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #53
outnumbered

Quote:
The way Lucy has Charlie is the way my massage lady had me this morning!!!

If you're anything as mean as her, then let me say it in front of the whole world...

c-mom, you're a genteil woman!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Isn't that a person who has vapours, drinks minty drinks and exclaims.. "Why Mr JD!" ;)
Why I do believe you are right Ms. yaahl! The defining act would be the tiniest little pinky finger sticking straight up into the air while sipping the minty drinks and exclaiming "why mr. J.D. I do declare you confuse me some!".lol!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #54
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 41,237.29
Quote:
You forgot "wears white gloves", too.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #55
outnumbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
You forgot "wears white gloves", too.
ya- white gloves too!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #56
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Quote:
Why I do believe you are right Ms. yaahl! The defining act would be the tiniest little pinky finger sticking straight up into the air while sipping the minty drinks and exclaiming "why mr. J.D. I do declare you confuse me some!".lol!
Aha! I just knew there was 'old' in there somewhere!!!

adjective

Old-fashioned having or showing the good taste and refinement associated with polite society; elegant, fashionable, etc.

I should take my statement to the world back.

Oh...and get a black wig down there in Navajoland!!!

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #57
outnumbered

Quote:
Aha! I just knew there was 'old' in there somewhere!!!

adjective

Old-fashioned having or showing the good taste and refinement associated with polite society; elegant, fashionable, etc.

I should take my statement to the world back.

Oh...and get a black wig down there in Navajoland!!!
LOL!!
I will not disguise myself cuz I am gorgeous as I am!

and I am not in Navajoland! That would be north baby.....north!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #58
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtommy View Post
Hi to everyone; I am new here and saw that eveyone was showing thier work and liked to bead and create things. You all do such beautiful work!
I am originally from South Carolina, but now live in Alaska, in a small village ust south of Fairbanks. The village is approx.350 people, about half being native. I consider myself Cherokee, though I am unreconized by any tribe. My husband is full Athabascan Indian, and we both do beading and make traditional and contemperary Native jewelry, pouches, moccacin/slipper tops, glove tops and lots more. We post our pieces to sell on Etsy.com.
I really enjoy looking at everyone work and would like to share pictures of our work too. I hope you enjoy them as I do yours. I like to discuss making things and like to see people wearing thier pieces with the pride and love we make it with. I would love to hear you comments and hope to hear from you all.
"All things in love"
agtommy"
You keep referring to your husband as Athabascan, yet there isn't one tribe in the whole Athabascan linguistic group that refers to themselves as that. The Alaskans are known as Ahtna, Deg Hit’an, Dena’ina/Tanaina, Gwich’in/Kutchin, Hän, Holikachuk, Koyukon, Lower Tanana, Tanacross, Upper Kuskokwim/Kolchan, Upper Tanana. Usually folks if they want to just refer to us as a group call us another name but it's not Athabascan - that is usually reserved for the linguists to call us that. Your terminology sounds evasive.

*awaits for a non to tell me about my people*
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #59
outnumbered

Quote:
You keep referring to your husband as Athabascan, yet there isn't one tribe in the whole Athabascan linguistic group that refers to themselves as that. The Alaskans are known as Ahtna, Deg Hit’an, Dena’ina/Tanaina, Gwich’in/Kutchin, Hän, Holikachuk, Koyukon, Lower Tanana, Tanacross, Upper Kuskokwim/Kolchan, Upper Tanana. Usually folks if they want to just refer to us as a group call us another name but it's not Athabascan - that is usually reserved for the linguists to call us that. Your terminology sounds evasive.

*awaits for a non to tell me about my people*
Why, I do pray tell that I have been called. The "NON" is now here my lady.Here let's have a sip of tea while I educate you ma'am on the sacred ways of your family system.(let me first go find a new age shaman to go learn about you from and I will be back to tell you about yourself)

Last edited by comadre; 12-19-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #60
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Why, I do pray tell that I have been called. The "NON" is now here my lady.Here let's have a sip of tea while I educate you ma'am on the sacred ways of your family system.(let me first go find a new age shaman to go learn about you from and I will be back to tell you about yourself)
C'mon fellas. c-mom is getting ready to hang out clothes again!!!

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Sponsored Links