PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Introductions (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/)
-   -   Into the West (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/into-west-27466/)

Dawgwhisperer 06-19-2005 09:22 PM

Into the West
 
Anybody watching it?

Plenty Fox 06-20-2005 12:01 AM

Yes. I have a great interest in our history, having listened to Plenty Fox elders on my Mom's side. I watch with a critical eye; I always hope and pray that each subsequent offering from Hollywood is more factual and realistic than the last. I have watched this, though, keeping in mind Spielberg's disclaimer that this is not a 'cowboys and indians' story but rather the story of westward expansion and the growth of this nation. Seems to me they are about the same thing...what came first, the chicken or the egg? who came first the indians, or the cowboys? trick question! jks!

Dawgwhisperer 06-20-2005 12:19 AM

Yep....at least their using real Indians' this time around. How about the old movies with the face make-up? I was hoping that Spielberg was as diligent about his research with this as he had to have been with Schindler's List.

My b/p always skyrocket's when I get into the whole "discrimination" thing or how abused people were back in the day. What about us?

The other thing that makes me crazy is the brainwashing I realize occurred when we were kids. They spent so much time cramming the American history down our throats with the propaganda about Washington and Lincoln, etc. They neglected to mention how many of our people they were responsible for slaughtering. My aunt made an interesting point......when the white man won a battle they called it a "victory" when the Indians won a battle they called it a "massacre" or some other endearing term. I make it a habit now to call Washington the "American Hitler" responsible for genocide in his own right.

Well, I didn't mean to go off on that tangent,but I'm so jazzed about finally havin' people to talk to that I can't contain myself. I want so much to learn about language, culture and somehow.......dancing. At this point, I'm lost. So, I appreciate all the help I can get.....connecting. Thanks!

WhoMe 06-21-2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgwhisperer
I was hoping that Spielberg was as diligent about his research with this as he had to have been with Schindler's List.
!


Dawg,

He didn't do his research. Someone else did and did a poor job.

veritasxl 06-21-2005 07:13 PM

I agree with you Dangwhisperer and Whome,

Did you catch the bit when they were at the dinner table and the white guys brother called Thunderheart woman 'your squaw', and he says, "'we're married', there's nothing dirty about our relationship" What a halfa... attempt to explain a commonplace insult. Because it's Spielberg, you just expect more, when it comes Holaust films,they go into detail ad nauseam. But with sins of the Euros in 'this' country, crimes on Indians and Slaves are made 'palatable' by Hollywood. The only exception I can think of is 'Roots' and that's because Haley demanded accuracy in his deal to have the film produced, and the NAACP was breathing down the studio's neck.

I can't wait for the piece on California. Having gone to Catholic school I had the history of the Jesuits and how they 'settled' the territory shoved done my throat. They just left out the truth. The same old lies are still being taught as a required module for all 4th graders in Cali. PBS even has a series on the Missions that they sell, again lies of ommission permiate the series.

This could've been a great opportunity for Spielberg, but it seems as though he compromised for the sake of maketability. However if it does well in the ratings, maybe someone with more balls will do a better job next time. It's amazing how Hollywood will use Indian music and art work in all the advertisments then punk-out when it comes to maintaining historical accuracy.

V

Aho Whome, did you get my PM?

Yaquila 06-21-2005 07:50 PM

yes
 
Its a good movie.The only problem is you have to wait to see what happens from week to week.

cherokeebikerbabe 06-21-2005 08:32 PM

This mini-series has been the same old same old to me. Just rehashed a bit. They are trying to cover too broad of a time period. The characters are not well-developed and most of them are just too nauseatingly goody-goody.

Dawgwhisperer 06-21-2005 11:41 PM

There's probably a vast majority of "controllers'" in this country that don't really want native truth to be a primary topic of discussion. There's too much at stake. No one is in a big hurry to admit or apologize for all of the atrocities committed since the "plague of locusts" descended on the shores. How could they possibly explain of all of inaccuracies that have been included in "history" books and taught to countless kids over the years. Besides, admissions would lend more credibility to the Indian land claims too.

During college I did an internship in a mens' prison. I helped out with anger management. We had a variety of discussions. The prison pop. was probably 85% black, 10% Latino and 5% white. Eventually the discussion led to discrimination and I had no problem telling the guys that it was "old news" and that I didn't want to hear it. I told them I owed them nothing since I wasn't around when that crap happened to them (which I'm sure many whites say about everybody else). I also told them that for all their complaining, they were given citizenship to this country long before the natives. Anyway............nothin' that is really news to anyone here!

Plenty Fox 06-22-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgwhisperer
There's probably a vast majority of "controllers'" in this country that don't really want native truth to be a primary topic of discussion. There's too much at stake. No one is in a big hurry to admit or apologize for all of the atrocities committed since the "plague of locusts" descended on the shores. How could they possibly explain of all of inaccuracies that have been included in "history" books and taught to countless kids over the years. Besides, admissions would lend more credibility to the Indian land claims too.

During college I did an internship in a mens' prison. I helped out with anger management. We had a variety of discussions. The prison pop. was probably 85% black, 10% Latino and 5% white. Eventually the discussion led to discrimination and I had no problem telling the guys that it was "old news" and that I didn't want to hear it. I told them I owed them nothing since I wasn't around when that crap happened to them (which I'm sure many whites say about everybody else). I also told them that for all their complaining, they were given citizenship to this country long before the natives. Anyway............nothin' that is really news to anyone here!

this site completely deleted my response and I lost it...sorry....

red n black cutie 06-22-2005 09:57 PM

I'm watching, Even though it's not very acurate I find it very addictive. Sort of in a DAnces with wolves kind of way. Lets face it when it comes to Native flicks there isn't much to choose from. And it's not like we're rollin ion the dough so that we can do to tell right.

Dawgwhisperer 06-23-2005 12:37 AM

You're right.....we don't have much to choose from. By favorite though is still Thunderheart with Val Kilmer, Sam Shepard and Graham Greene. I can't help myself.....I LOVE that movie!
:jump2: :smilie_co :jump2:
:58: :58: :58: :58: :58: :58: :58: :58: :58: :58: :58:

PF&P......try another message....I'm interested in what ya got to say....

ILoveDraftHorses 06-23-2005 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red n black cutie
I'm watching, Even though it's not very acurate I find it very addictive. Sort of in a DAnces with wolves kind of way. Lets face it when it comes to Native flicks there isn't much to choose from. And it's not like we're rollin ion the dough so that we can do to tell right.


I agree. It's very, very addictive.

Plenty Fox 06-23-2005 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep.
I've got my VHS tape already for tomorrow night!

One of my favorites, though, is still Last of the Mohicans. If only Eric coulda stayed lookin' that fine! Sigh...

Does anybody out there have a copy of "Unbowed"? it won a Native American Film Festival award a couple years ago. I can't find it anywhere. One of the actors in it is Jay Tavares who plays Chief Prairie Fire in ITW who makes off with the Wheeler cousin for five horses. http://www.jaytavare.com sigh....see pix of Jay with Nicole Kidman....with our luck (the ladeez...)he's gay...sheesh...

Running River 06-24-2005 03:16 PM

Yes, I am watching it. I have only seen the frist installment, though. I don't have satellite or cable, and I am getting relatives to tape it on VCR for me.

Yaquila 06-25-2005 08:53 AM

Did you see?
 
Did you see what the cow did?All Indian movies make me very sad.Because in the end we all know what happen to our ancestors.Its so sad but yet so true.Our land was taken from us.Life was neaver the same again. :Cliff: :cry_smile :dead1:

ILoveDraftHorses 06-25-2005 09:00 PM

*sigh* I agree... Sad, but true....:(

Yaquila 06-26-2005 01:13 AM

I seen it again tonight
 
Makes me think about all the bad things our people has gone through.After seeing a movie like this makes me feel closer to my people.We will always be here. :party: :thumbsup:

DREAMMAKER207 06-27-2005 12:43 PM

Into The West
 
I love the series. Nice to hear my native tongue.

I am Dreammaker207

WhoMe 06-27-2005 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DREAMMAKER207
I love the series. Nice to hear my native tongue.

I am Dreammaker207


Dreammaker,

Was the rifle the Lakotas referred to:

Maza Kut'e - Iron Shooter (What I have heard it called)

or

Maza Wakan - Holy Iron? (What they called it 'Into the West')




What does your native tongue call it?

Yaquila 06-29-2005 12:16 AM

still watching it,i like movies from the past. :Regular_W


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC