Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Medievalbelle will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy Intros

Hey everyone... just signing on and didn't want to be rude by skipping intros. My name's Stacy. I'm a telecommunications engineer in Ft. Worth, Texas and am of Seminole decent (1/4). I've never met that side of my family, thanks to my real mom's disappearance about 20 years ago. Alas, it's a part of my life I'm trying to connect to just as much as the rest of my heritage.

Actually, that brings me to a question I'd like to bring up. My daughter & I attended the National Championship Powwow in Grandprarie this weekend. She didn't realize until we arrived there that I used to belong to a Native American all-girls dance team called "Na-ta-ya" and used to attend the circuit in my teen years with the adopted Kiowa family I lived with (Younkin/Postmas). But the other night, after we participated in the Veterans' dance (I'm an Army vet), she was hooked and asked if I'd get her started in cloth or fancy shawl. I'm just wondering now if this would be proper & accepted. She's worried if she'd be unwelcome in the dances, barred from wearing regalia, and treated differently because she's blue-eyed and blond. I'd love to tell her it would be ok, but I'm not even sure if *I'd* be welcome in the circle with a closer bloodline than hers. This is a culture I have great respect for and I'd rather not unknowingly cross any lines here. Help?

Thanks all,
Stacy
Medievalbelle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Furiously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond reputeFuriously-Fancy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 450.31
Savings: 1.00
Stacy,
There are quite a few established dancers that don't necessarily look "Native". It's good that you wish to follow protocol and be accepted. I would suggest that you get acquainted with your "Seminole-side". Once you've made some connections there, you will feel more comfortable and accepted in the pow-wow setting. Of course....this is all just my own humble opinion. Hope all goes well!
Furiously-Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Medievalbelle will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed Information removed

Last edited by Medievalbelle; 03-13-2009 at 05:36 PM..
Medievalbelle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links