Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions A  Little Lost A Little Lost

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
HyperAware is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 247.63
Savings: 0.00
A Little Lost

My name is Anastasia Benson and I'm hoping to learn more about my Native Ancestry from my great grandmother's side of the family and gain a level of connection with that heritage. I'm also hoping to better understand the world from the Native point of view and have hopes of accurately depicting Native culture in my creative writing.

I grew up in American public school and unfortunately you don't really learn much about the Native people of this country from there. I didn't learn a lot from my family either as my grandfather (son of my great grandmother) was pressured into isolating himself from his family by my grandmother. My mom only met my grandmother maybe 4 times. Because of my grandmother, many family photos of my grandfather and his family have been lost, thrown away, or burned. My grandfather died when I was very young and Native culture was not a part of my mother's life and therefore cut from my own. Due to my grandmother and lack of communication with anyone from my grandmother's family (She was Blackfoot and my grandfather was German/French. All depends on who's telling the story) I was born and raised white but feel my connection to other family has really caused a deficit in my understanding of other people in my family. Even as a child I felt this was wrong and upsetting. I hope to better understand the culture and the people who still live in that culture. My main goal is to listen and understand, and if I can, stand with others to fight for what is rightfully there's.
HyperAware is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,739.34
Welcome to powwows.com. We're a forum for the discussion of powwows and their associated art forms.

When seeking to reconnect with a tribal heritage it is necessary to start with family. Family determines your place within Native communities and in many ways defines your role and responsibilities.

Except in the case of adoption, it is rare to hit a total lack of official records. Starting with your birth certificate, trace backwards through the generations. Native people in the USA are very well documented. It is nearly impossible for an Native person to obliterate their paper trail. You will eventually hit kin.

NARA Indian Rolls
LISA IRONMAKER and windanncer like this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Welcome to powwows.com. We're a forum for the discussion of powwows and their associated art forms.

When seeking to reconnect with a tribal heritage it is necessary to start with family. Family determines your place within Native communities and in many ways defines your role and responsibilities.

Except in the case of adoption, it is rare to hit a total lack of official records. Starting with your birth certificate, trace backwards through the generations. Native people in the USA are very well documented. It is nearly impossible for an Native person to obliterate their paper trail. You will eventually hit kin.

NARA Indian Rolls
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions as to the best place I could do this research?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post

NARA Indian Rolls
Thank you. I've tried ancestry but I hit a roadblock
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,739.34
Online Birth Records info
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links