Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Newcomer to pow wow Newcomer to pow wow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 222.67
Savings: 0.00
Smile Newcomer to pow wow

I'm looking through about each thread and searching for the dancing and how to get started and getting involved. I have a 4 year old daughter, and we are both Chickasaw. I don't want to loose my heritage, so I want to learn also. I want to know how to get involved and learn more about my culture. I'm pregnant again with a boy and would like to see at least one of my children, if not both, involved in our culture. I've checked out materials at the library on pow wow dancing and beading and about Chickasaw nation. I'm learning little by little as something comes along. Please any help is much needed, and very grateful to have. Even if someone can send me a link as to where to get started and where to go. I even do research online on the Chickasaw website.
I just so happen to stumble upon this website because I liked the page from facebook and followed the link to here.
I'm from Tulsa, OK and willing to travel some distance as long as it's not too far either.
Thank You,
ndnchickasawgrl
ndnchickasawgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Welcome to the site!

One of the things I learned as a young mother that my family was the starting point for all of my questions. When I became the grandma after losing my grandparents and parents, I realized that I was now the keeper of all that information.

Start with your family, then your community and then your tribal councils. Only a Chickasaw can be a Chickasaw.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,801.61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchickasawgrl View Post
I'm looking through about each thread and searching for the dancing and how to get started and getting involved. I have a 4 year old daughter, and we are both Chickasaw. I don't want to loose my heritage, so I want to learn also. I want to know how to get involved and learn more about my culture. I'm pregnant again with a boy and would like to see at least one of my children, if not both, involved in our culture. I've checked out materials at the library on pow wow dancing and beading and about Chickasaw nation. I'm learning little by little as something comes along. Please any help is much needed, and very grateful to have. Even if someone can send me a link as to where to get started and where to go. I even do research online on the Chickasaw website.
I just so happen to stumble upon this website because I liked the page from facebook and followed the link to here.
I'm from Tulsa, OK and willing to travel some distance as long as it's not too far either.
Thank You,
ndnchickasawgrl
Chickasaw people have their own social dances, check with your people to learn about them. From the Gar Fish Dance to the Stomp Dance.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 91,307.05
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
@ndnchickasawgrl, as suggested by @yaahl, moved your thread to another forum where you can have more visibility.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,484.66
Thanks TT. I saw that post over in Spectators Forum where the moderation chokes off conversation, a bit.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 91,307.05
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
Thanks TT. I saw that post over in Spectators Forum where the moderation chokes off conversation, a bit.
@AmigoKumeyaay, now who was that "NDN" chick u saw at Penchanga? Heart of Hope?

Last edited by xTekno; 07-14-2012 at 05:25 PM..
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,484.66
Calls herself Heart Hays, you can see her on FaceBook.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

ndnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond reputendnchickasawgrl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newcomer to pow wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Welcome to the site!

One of the things I learned as a young mother that my family was the starting point for all of my questions. When I became the grandma after losing my grandparents and parents, I realized that I was now the keeper of all that information.

Start with your family, then your community and then your tribal councils. Only a Chickasaw can be a Chickasaw.
Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing how to contact my family. I was adopted and put with a family that was only Cherokee by blood but didn't participate in any of the culture. I'm having to be the start of this family. The tribal council that handles the Chickasaw Nation is way down south from where I live.
Although now I'm starting to see commercials of the Chickasaw Nation and its people and what we stand for. Not to mention we are now in some kind of political debate about the Oklahoma water.
Thanks for responding though.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnchickasawgrl View Post
Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing how to contact my family. I was adopted and put with a family that was only Cherokee by blood but didn't participate in any of the culture. I'm having to be the start of this family. The tribal council that handles the Chickasaw Nation is way down south from where I live.
Although now I'm starting to see commercials of the Chickasaw Nation and its people and what we stand for. Not to mention we are now in some kind of political debate about the Oklahoma water.
Thanks for responding though.
Most tribal offices have a person who is familar with who is who in the tribe and who is related to who. I suggest very strongly that you contact the tribal office and speak to the membership people.

With today's technology, great distances are covered in a mere nanosecond of fibre optics so setting out that the tribal office is too far is an excuse. Pick up the phone and call them.

I have worked with many, many adoptees and you would be surprised how well the tribe's citizens know who is related to who and wait eagerly for the adoptees to find their way home.

I worked with one girl who had been adopted when she was only 6 months old. When she was 30, she found her way home to her people and to welcome her home, the tribe had 30 years of treaty money for her (kept in trust), 30 years worth of trade gifts that had been collected on her her and the other adoptee's behalf and she had her share of the annual hunt for that year. They even had a blanket for her that was made in the hopes of her finding her way home.

You may not know your people, but I can assure you, they will know who you are.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Most tribal offices have a person who is familar with who is who in the tribe and who is related to who. I suggest very strongly that you contact the tribal office and speak to the membership people.

With today's technology, great distances are covered in a mere nanosecond of fibre optics so setting out that the tribal office is too far is an excuse. Pick up the phone and call them.

I have worked with many, many adoptees and you would be surprised how well the tribe's citizens know who is related to who and wait eagerly for the adoptees to find their way home.

I worked with one girl who had been adopted when she was only 6 months old. When she was 30, she found her way home to her people and to welcome her home, the tribe had 30 years of treaty money for her (kept in trust), 30 years worth of trade gifts that had been collected on her her and the other adoptee's behalf and she had her share of the annual hunt for that year. They even had a blanket for her that was made in the hopes of her finding her way home.

You may not know your people, but I can assure you, they will know who you are.
So how do I find a the number and name of the department to call? It was actually just sometime back that I was even able to get my membership card but had to go through DHS for them to get it and pass onto one tribe only to find the information was sent to another tribe and that's how I was able to get my membership card. And Oh got your other response from the thread about 6 years ago that was posted, I didn't even notice that information because I'm just trying to get familiar with this site. Thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Ok Thanks so much for your help, Yaahl. Actually went to the Chickasaw Nation website and found more information I needed to do my research. As a matter of fact, I found that they have a directory for those of us who live outside the boundaries of the Chickasaw Nation. How great is that?
Sponsored Links