Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Please forgive my late introduction Please forgive my late introduction

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
natureluvr is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Please forgive my late introduction

Kwe! I have posted here once before looking for some advice, but did not realize there was a place to introduce myself. Please forgive the rudeness/ignorance, as I am not accustomed to online communities and such.
Some small facts:
I am Micmac/Abenaki on mom's side, but did not grow up with her. (she left when I was two and my dad raised me; recently found her living in Arizona!)
Was born in Oklahoma, grew up near Chicago, and now reside near the Gulf Coast.
Native/Scottish/Welsh on my dad's side, but the Native no one in my dad's family talks about; all the "hush-hush" regarding being ndn.
I have often been asked "What are you?" because of my brown skin, brown hair, and blue-green eyes. My usual reply is "I'm a human, what are you?" It was hard growing up bi-racial, but it has slowly gotten easier, although occasionally I still feel negativity from some folks I meet.
I am a proud 40 year old (happily divorced) mom of two teen boys. (do not look my age, I can safely brag!)
Worked as a correctional officer for the state prison system for 10 years; quit to go back to school. Now attending a university.
Ummm, I am not sure what else to say! I read the posts and am pleased to see all the positive replies, funny jokes, and obvious care, concern and respect for those who write and share.
Love the feeling of "Family reunion" when I go to Powwows; don't know how to dance, but want to learn, maybe Jingle or Fancy Shawl.
Wela'lin!
Thanks! Hope to meet some great people!
natureluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
Hello, welcome to the best website in the world...
working as correctional officer sounds like a ruff job...what are you taking at university?

But I've been told it's the other way around!
~pathwalker~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
Teen Dancer

Hi! Thanks for the welcome! I am currently a biology major, but am think of switching to history and minoring in bio instead. Will have a better chance of finding employment with a history major at my age; especially where I live where the job market is in sad shape.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
What do you want to work in? You should always follow what you would be happiest in, I wish I had the nerve to go back to school this late in life, I'm 37. I do have to take courses every year to keep my veterinarian tech license up to date...but not quite the same thing.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

I want to educate people, but not in a school setting; more like a museum or something of the sort; my big dream is to get a cultural center for the Native community where I live. We have a joke around here: that there are a lot of "closet ndns" that want to connect with the people, but because of the past discriminations encountered, not to mention a lot of phonies, (more on that later) they keep to themselves.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

as for going back to school, go for it! I almost talked myself out of it; you know, "too old, what about finances" etc. Had to put my little family in poverty to do it, but we have always struggled since my divorce, (1989) so it was no big deal. Not to mention I am a lot happier now that I no longer work in a cesspool!

Last edited by natureluvr; 05-22-2005 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Well, I think with my hubby being 51 and already retired from anheuser-Busch, not to mention tryin to send our two boyz thru college that it would be selfish of me, I love what I do and would only use more school as something to learn and not something to have a career in...so I don't go. That sounds like a good idea above about a cultural center...

Old 05-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
Savings: 1.00
WELCOME TO THE SITE

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

*Brown Eyed Gurl* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

Thanks! This is a good site; very informative and the people in the community seem very nice.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #10
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Welcome to the site

Enjoy your college studies.... whichever route you choose.
I'm planning to go back next spring to gt to the next level. It seems someone gave me some misinformation when I was attending the local community college and I thought I only had 1 year of financial aid left... turns out I have 2 years left!

BTW pathwalker - I wouldn't let age deter you from going for college if you really want to go - I didn't. Like naturlyvr, I live in an area that is very depressed economially - 7.6% unemployment for the county (April 2005), and that's just those that are being tracked in the system.

Go for it naturlvr!

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

SideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond repute
SideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond reputeSideSteppinMom has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to pws! I'm glad to hear that you already enjoy it here. I am also happy that you are back in school. woohoo! Have a great day and fun posting! See ya later
Old 05-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Teen Dancer

Kwe'! Hello, Singingdeer! Thanks for the welcome! That is good news on the financial aid! I would not be able to afford school if it weren't for that! I am taking 6 hours during the summer, 3 summer I, and 3 summer II, and just tuition and fees alone is over $940.00! Glad to meet a fellow student!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #13
Teen Dancer

Hi SideSteppinMom! Thanks for the warm welcome and pat on the back regarding my return to school! Great to meet you! I cracked up over you signature about the blank tape and the mime..............:D
Old 05-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #14
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Financial Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureluvr
Kwe'! Hello, Singingdeer! Thanks for the welcome! That is good news on the financial aid! I would not be able to afford school if it weren't for that! I am taking 6 hours during the summer, 3 summer I, and 3 summer II, and just tuition and fees alone is over $940.00! Glad to meet a fellow student!
Same here .... and one semester here is $2577! I didn't have a lot of choices about campuses 'cause I can't really relocate att, but one univeristy has a satellite campus about 40 miles from where I live... they have a "learning center" at the local community college, but coursework is very limited and 99% is distance ed from the main campus.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
Teen Dancer

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingDeer
Same here .... and one semester here is $2577!
How many hours is that? Full, 3/4, half?
I am fortunate that I live about two miles down the road from the university I attend. It is not the main campus, but a branch, but still very nice! Student population right now is about 8,000.
The community college has two campuses, one about a 15 minute drive, and the other about a 25 minute drive. My oldest son goes to the community college.
What are you studying?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #16
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Full Time... Social Sciences
I'm hoping to major in Anthropology and minor in Digital Techology and Culture...

Ultimately I want to get an MLIS, but that's gonna be harder to get some sort of financial support... I would have thought my PTK associations would have helped with scholarships, but to no avail

Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #17
Teen Dancer

Good luck, study hard. As for the funding for school, I believe it will come to you.............whenever I am struggling something always comes along to help!
$2500 isn't bad full time; my tuition for this past spring was about the same, before I got my books, which were about $400 or so. They charge fees for everything lately!!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #18
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

If it's meant that I should have the MLIS, then the creator will see to it... it just been one long struggle along the way...

As for books... I'm kringing at the thought of how much I'll have to spend on them... plus a parking pass and all sorts of other fees on top of tuition... they even have parking meters on the visitor's parking spots! I've been fortunate.... only had to make 2 trips so far and didn't need to feed the meter

Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM   #19
Teen Dancer

Yikes! Parking meters? That is bad; like when I would go to the O'hare airport in Chicago you had to pay to use the toilet! The doors were locked and you had to put in a nickel or dime for it to open. I would just crawl under.
I went to a transfer student orientation at the school I am now attending, (received an invite in the mail) and found out a couple of days later that I was charged $50.00 for it!! A fee was not mentioned in the invite; if it was I doubt I would have gone. It did help, but I am intelligent enough to find my way around campus and the workings of the school..............
I believe the Creator will see fit you get your MLIS................
Old 05-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #20
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Pay toilets :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureluvr
Yikes! Parking meters? That is bad; like when I would go to the O'hare airport in Chicago you had to pay to use the toilet! The doors were locked and you had to put in a nickel or dime for it to open. I would just crawl under.
I went to a transfer student orientation at the school I am now attending, (received an invite in the mail) and found out a couple of days later that I was charged $50.00 for it!! A fee was not mentioned in the invite; if it was I doubt I would have gone. It did help, but I am intelligent enough to find my way around campus and the workings of the school..............
I believe the Creator will see fit you get your MLIS................
Chicago - me too!
They got them darn things all over the place... and when you gotta go - ya gotta go, pay or no! The train station toilets were that way too when I was there... I remember crawling under too

Ouch on the orientation! I probably wouldn't have gone either if it mentioned the fee in the invite!

Yep parking meters and a 30-minuted time limit. My hubby has a disabled parking permit, so I take him with me when I visit... those spots are free
I've already walked all over the campus and pretty much know where everything is now....

Yeah it's up to the Creator to decide if it's for me or not too.... somethin' has to be, I've had a lot of closed doors lately.

Sponsored Links