PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Introductions (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/)
-   -   'Siyo (Hi) (http://forums.powwows.com/f44/siyo-hi-68772/)

Maize-Grower 08-27-2014 01:47 AM

'Siyo (Hi)

Osiyo (Hello),
I'm an NGE Eastern Cherokee. My family has lived away from the Land Trust since at least 1921. (Family consensus is that it was to avoid my Gr Grandpa having to go to boarding school.) We have maintained fragments of our ancestors' culture but not much. Other than the oral and written history, there is some degree of language knowledge, the growing of traditional crops, and the making of beadwork (which my maternal grandparents taught me).

I enjoy cooking, gardening, crafts, and country livin'. My most prized recipe is for my family's sweet potato frybread. My second most prized is for Johnny Cakes, which in our family is like a flapjack made of home-grown corn.

Anyways, that's the best intro I could come up with. Hope to get along with everybody.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...d56e66d4c80021

subeeds 08-27-2014 02:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. Have fun.

Maize-Grower 08-27-2014 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeeds (Post 1605730)
Welcome to the forum. Have fun.

Thanks. I lurked a few days before I joined. I think I'm gonna like it here.

I want to find a thread where I can practice speaking Cherokee... Is there a thread for that already or should I create one? :thinking:

DeafElderWoman 08-27-2014 04:40 AM

Welcome to Powwows Forum. Just browse around the forums and check us out here. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. :hello:

silvermoon2012 08-27-2014 11:47 AM

Hello welcome to the forums.

LISA IRONMAKER 08-27-2014 02:53 PM

Hi Welcome to pws.com Enjoy your stay!!

Josiah 08-27-2014 03:06 PM

Welcome

Question: What is a NGE Eastern Cherokee?

Grits & Beans 08-27-2014 03:23 PM

:lurk: :pepsi000:

Maize-Grower 08-27-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiah (Post 1605770)
Welcome

Question: What is a NGE Eastern Cherokee?

NGE is Non-Government Enrolled. My family left (1920-1921) before the Baker Rolls were taken (1924) but were on other rolls from before that. We're verifiably Ani Tsalagi, but not eligible for a blue card. Does that help?

Joe's Dad 08-27-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maize-Grower (Post 1605779)
NGE is Non-Government Enrolled. My family left (1920-1921) before the Baker Rolls were taken (1924) but were on other rolls from before that. We're verifiably Ani Tsalagi, but not eligible for a blue card. Does that help?

And you're also mongolian???

Maize-Grower 08-27-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1605785)

I never said I was Mongolian, I said We're related. I already supplied the info in that other thread showing a genetic match between Mongols and Native Americans... I understand that may be uncomfortable for some, but it hardly warrants a taunting tone. Evidence is evidence even if you don't like it.

Grits & Beans 08-27-2014 11:52 PM

Warrants? Evidence?

Oh oh oh. Nevermind me, I'm just profiling... :hysterica

Maize-Grower 08-28-2014 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits & Beans (Post 1605791)
Warrants? Evidence?

Oh oh oh. Nevermind me, I'm just profiling... :hysterica

I see you all over the place, constantly joking. Pretty funny actually. Especially that banter with Alf. tee hee hee

subeeds 08-28-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1605785)

Geez, JD, make me almost choke on my coffee why don't ya?

Joe's Dad 08-28-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maize-Grower (Post 1605790)
I never said I was Mongolian, I said We're related. I already supplied the info in that other thread showing a genetic match between Mongols and Native Americans... I understand that may be uncomfortable for some, but it hardly warrants a taunting tone. Evidence is evidence even if you don't like it.

There is no taunting. You've stated, in a 'matter of fact' manner, we are related by DNA to Asians. This subscribes to the land bridge theory. Is this your belief? Is this what you were taught at home by your parents and grandparents? I'm wondering if my friends from Qualla Boundary subscribe to this same mongolian theory.

Maize-Grower 08-28-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1605831)
There is no taunting. You've stated, in a 'matter of fact' manner, we are related by DNA to Asians. This subscribes to the land bridge theory. Is this your belief? Is this what you were taught at home by your parents and grandparents? I'm wondering if my friends from Qualla Boundary subscribe to this same mongolian theory.

I was taught that a water bug dove down to scrape up mud from the bottom of the sea, carried it up on its back and that became the land. Then the vulture came down looking for a dry place and he searched a long time without finding a perch, so he became tired and his wing tips dragged in the mud making mountains and valleys. And then the Creator put us on the mountains. There's other stories they told, but that's the creation story to the best as I can remember it. I also heard about Adam and Eve in church. And in school they gave the very most basic suggestion that we may have come across the land bridge. I prefer the boat theory myself since an ice free corridor seems unlikely until I see evidence for it. It's comforting to have stories unique to your culture, but when presented with undeniable evidence to the contrary, the logical thing to do is to go with the idea that is better supported and keep the other story you have as a matter of culture rather than as fact. I'm not a religious person that I should believe in stories over science.

Also, I don't know anybody who currently lives in Qualla. I think I've pointed it out before, but we've been living away from there for over 90 years now. I have been there when my grandma took me down there before, but I don't really know anybody very well or their opinions on science vs creation. I don't even think it's relevant though since I never claimed that my personal views were that of the tribe. How could any one person give a view other than their own? I would imagine the reaction would be as divided as the two of us right here.

AmigoKumeyaay 08-28-2014 08:57 PM

Fresh off the land-bridge: Mongol John Wayne!
http://needcoffee.cachefly.net/needc...nghis-khan.jpg

Maize-Grower 08-28-2014 09:58 PM

:hysterica You guys are too much. I'm gonna go have my tea now... :coffee:

Josiah 09-01-2014 04:46 PM

Non Government Enrolled is a meaningless term...

Here is Why, The three Federally Recognized tribes of the Cherokees all Self Determine who is a Citizen.
Not the Federal Government.
The Federal Government only Recognizes the Tribe, not who is a member of that tribe...

Even when the Rolls were formed those rolls were received from the Cherokees themselves and were used to determine by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT who was RECOGNIZED by THE TRIBE to be a CITIZEN!
In the Case of the Cherokees in Oklahoma over 200,000 people applied for Land only 43,000 were granted allotment and over 5000 of that number (Fullbloods called Nighthawks) refused,protested and were still enrolled by the Dawes Commission!!
The Eastern Cherokees had several citizen rolls and use the Baker Roll and for that matter even refer to the Guion Miller Roll for Guidance...

Maize-Grower 09-01-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josiah (Post 1606141)
Non Government Enrolled is a meaningless term...

Here is Why, The three Federally Recognized tribes of the Cherokees all Self Determine who is a Citizen.
Not the Federal Government.
The Federal Government only Recognizes the Tribe, not who is a member of that tribe...

Even when the Rolls were formed those rolls were received from the Cherokees themselves and were used to determine by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT who was RECOGNIZED by THE TRIBE to be a CITIZEN!
In the Case of the Cherokees in Oklahoma over 200,000 people applied for Land only 43,000 were granted allotment and over 5000 of that number (Fullbloods called Nighthawks) refused,protested and were still enrolled by the Dawes Commission!!
The Eastern Cherokees had several citizen rolls and use the Baker Roll and for that matter even refer to the Guion Miller Roll for Guidance...

Tribal governments are governments too dude.