Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Two sisters trying to reconnect with Native roots Two sisters trying to reconnect with Native roots

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Athabascan_Roots is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Two sisters trying to reconnect with Native roots

Hello, this is Raasheeda and Abeni. We are half black and half Athabascan. I am 22 and 20 years old and we are really trying to understand as well as re-establish a long lost relationship with our people.
Currently we reside in Fredericksburg Virginia. We have never been to a Pow Wow and would love to attend. Does anyone ahve any advice as to where we can go and what we can do?
Does anyone know of any meet ups? We are willing to travel, if not too too far.

Please, any response/advice is welcomed!!

Much love and many many blessings.
Athabascan_Roots is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Hola!

kgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
kgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,424.50
I'm Black and Indian too. :) First get in touch with your Athabascan family members. It might take some time, but if you really want to understand your culture you will appreciate doing things the right way.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgirl7 View Post
I'm Black and Indian too. :) First get in touch with your Athabascan family members. It might take some time, but if you really want to understand your culture you will appreciate doing things the right way.
Thank you so much for replying. Thought we'd never get a response.
Other than that, we are trying to do all that we can but really don't know where to start! We are half native from our mothers side and we have been asking family questions for YEARS and it's gotten us no where. So now we have to try and reconnect on our own.

A friend told us about this site so here we are. It's been a very hard search. We both have children now an so we really need for them to grow up knowing their native roots. It was very confusing for us coming up and we do not want that for them.

I just hope this site is useful.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
You should post your questions here:

Ancestry and Genealogy - PowWows.com - Your portal to Native American Tribal Culture

Timmy Tiger is the moderator of that board and the resident genealogy expert. She should be able to point you in the right direction and suggest resources.
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neling4 View Post
You should post your questions here:

Ancestry and Genealogy - PowWows.com - Your portal to Native American Tribal Culture

Timmy Tiger is the moderator of that board and the resident genealogy expert. She should be able to point you in the right direction and suggest resources.
Thanks a million. Means a lot.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
chiquicola

cmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond reputecmartin has a reputation beyond repute
Hello,
I am not Athabascan, but I am of mixed ancestry. ( Cherokee, Osage, White Mountain Apache, Creek among others. My mother is Ethiopian/Arab mixture, Cherokee/Creek and white. While my Dad is Osage, Cherokee, W. Mountain Apache mix with Welsh and Irish. I 've been researching my ancestry since about 12, I am 27 now. Research, research, and more. Also, although it may be hard try to find other Native people from your tribe and if thats not possible a legit association or organization. Also try to hire, or at least seek out advice from an certified geneaologist. You might hit road blocks, but don't give up. Also try contacting your tribe, even though most times they don't do the geneaology research, they usually will give you info on the criteria for enrolling, info on the history of the tribe and or a geneaologist within the tribe. Good luck and don't give up hope
cmartin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links