Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Introductions Your Opinion Please; Your Opinion Please;

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
roycela is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Your Opinion Please;

Opinion Please;
All my life I have been told that I have 'Indian Blood'.
But, I have not been able to authenticate any of the information. Until recently.
I found several cousins that I didn't even know existed ... They also told me about my Great Grand Father being a full blood Cherokee. Again, no one can prove anything... other than 'hear say'.
I don't think any one has lied to me we just can't prove the fact.
Just a few weeks ago I ran across a person who told me of the Métis People Who are mixed blood and are real in their beliefs and way of thinking.
Have any of you heard of the Métis and your opinion of 'mixed blood' people?
I'm in Lake wales Florida and my email address is [email protected] . If you would care to share any information please feel free to send a message.
R~/
roycela is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycela View Post
Opinion Please;
All my life I have been told that I have 'Indian Blood'.
But, I have not been able to authenticate any of the information. Until recently.
I found several cousins that I didn't even know existed ... They also told me about my Great Grand Father being a full blood Cherokee. Again, no one can prove anything... other than 'hear say'.
I don't think any one has lied to me we just can't prove the fact.
Just a few weeks ago I ran across a person who told me of the Métis People Who are mixed blood and are real in their beliefs and way of thinking.
Have any of you heard of the Métis and your opinion of 'mixed blood' people?
I'm in Lake wales Florida and my email address is [email protected] . If you would care to share any information please feel free to send a message.
R~/
Boozhoo niji,

Depending on how old you are, your great grandfather outta be on the Dawes roles. If not that, then do your homework. Bartow has the library in the courthouse, but that might not help much, except to prove your ancestory. The Cherokee were split into two, so depending on where your grandfather came from, you either go to Oklahoma or North Carolina to do your research, and do everything by paper. The internet is good to getting you started, but hard copy is necessary to prove anything.

As far as the Metis go I am not entirely sure about anything, other than I heard one thing that they are a lost part of the Anishinaabe. The Canadian govt did not recognize a lot of Anishinaabe as being such, the language dialects and customs differ depending on which side of the lake you come from, so its easy to see how they could be mistaken as different tribes, but they share the same beliefs. I do not know any more about the Metis, except they were here in Florida, "recruiting"

If I were you, dont associate yourself with some of these outside people. Its better to stick with your roots. Even if you cant prove it, you might still find some kind of acceptance within your own tribe. Unless you have proof, you will always have some people that will doubt you. Just stick with your guns, and it'll be ok no matter what you are trying to do.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
I will tell you about the Metis...a bit... but I am blunt so there it is.
The Metis are a specific group of people, up here in Canada they are recognized s First Nations people. You don't just decide your Metis because you have some NDN blood. They have thier own culture that grew out of thier NDn / white (generally French) upbringing. Back in the fur trading days, the traders would marry an NDN woman & the children would be raised with a mix of both cultures. They often go to powwow, socials & ceremonies, as well as to church (usually catholic) & to Metis functions, they have thier own music, dance & traditional clothing (again a mix of both cultures) & even thier own dialects.
I am half french & half Lakota but this doesn't make me metis . My oldest son's father is Metis (Ojibway / Scottish mostly) on both sides, so my son is Metis. Most Metis people have quite alot of NDN blood because they often marry other Metis people or NDN people. They trace thier geneology, and are aware of who is Metis as aposed to just simply mixed, like me. Mixed people can sometimes get recognized as Metis if they can prove that thier background and family fits the criteria. Not to dash your hopes, but you probably couldn't.
Suzze
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
Boozhoo niji,

Depending on how old you are, your great grandfather outta be on the Dawes roles. If not that, then do your homework. Bartow has the library in the courthouse, but that might not help much, except to prove your ancestory. The Cherokee were split into two, so depending on where your grandfather came from, you either go to Oklahoma or North Carolina to do your research, and do everything by paper. The internet is good to getting you started, but hard copy is necessary to prove anything.

As far as the Metis go I am not entirely sure about anything, other than I heard one thing that they are a lost part of the Anishinaabe. The Canadian govt did not recognize a lot of Anishinaabe as being such, the language dialects and customs differ depending on which side of the lake you come from, so its easy to see how they could be mistaken as different tribes, but they share the same beliefs. I do not know any more about the Metis, except they were here in Florida, "recruiting"

If I were you, dont associate yourself with some of these outside people. Its better to stick with your roots. Even if you cant prove it, you might still find some kind of acceptance within your own tribe. Unless you have proof, you will always have some people that will doubt you. Just stick with your guns, and it'll be ok no matter what you are trying to do.

Derek
You must have posted while I was typing.
Good point, there are groups who claim to be Metis to give thier mixed identity some more claim, but those that are recognized by the government are DEFINATLY not interested in adding those that arn't actual Metis culture to thier ranks
Suzze
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links