Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports 2008 Morongo 2008 Morongo

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
mtn lover..

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dancing bear is a glorious beacon of light
Location: wyoming now.. originally from new mexico though.. but summer is coming.. so my tent or my car..
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
The Boyz was robbed!! I noticed that there is talk of the points and yes.. they did announce the points as they were reading the names and they announced the Boyz with more points then third place...
db
dancing bear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
-summer_june-*

**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute
**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute**Summer_June** has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,015.78
Jr Boys Southern Straight
3rd- Anthony Nez
2nd- Darien Adakai
1st- Josie Petagara

Jr Boys Northern Trad
4th- Kelly Tree
3rd- Joseph Chee
2nd- David Troy Smith Jr
1st- Donovan Chee

Jr Boys Grass
5th- Christopher Charlie
4th- Isaac Dishface
3rd- Darnell Chee
2nd- Marshall Baker
1st- Cole Esquea

Jr Boys Southern Fancy
5th- Riley Spoonhunter
4th- Terrell Johnson
3rd- Clyde ??
2nd- Dylan Shrock
1st- Delano Cleveland

Jr Boys Northern Fancy
5th- Pacer Alan Tobey
4th- ?? Lavallee
3rd- Sunny Means
2nd- Gabe Cleveland??
1st- Terrence Cleveland

Jr Boys Chicken
4th- White Bear Cleveland
3rd- Quintan Betoni
2nd- Brendan Begay
1st- Avery Moore

Teen Boys Southern Straight
3rd- ?? Henry
2nd- Eric Bohay
1st- Michael Grant

Teen Boys Northern Trad
5th- Randall ??
4th- ?? Zander
3rd- Chad Red Elk
2nd- Sage Scabbyrobe
1st- Ian Stevens

Teen Boys Grass
5th- Edgar Hasking Jr
4th- Laren Notman?
3rd- Crayten Scabbyrobe
2nd- Nate Smith
1st- Mason James McGurk

Teen Boys Southern Fancy
5th- Steven Ray Smith
4th- Nathan Logan
3rd- Logan Reeder
2nd- Ty Johnson
1st- Amos Yazzie the 4th

Teen Boys Northern Fancy
5th- ??
4th- ??
3rd- Jesse ?? III
2nd- Brandon Robinson
1st- Lance Yazzie

Teen Boys Chicken
2nd- Doug Etsitty
1st- Steven Paul
Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
Tiny Tot Dancer

Tradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond reputeTradancur has a reputation beyond repute
Oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing bear View Post
The Boyz was robbed!! I noticed that there is talk of the points and yes.. they did announce the points as they were reading the names and they announced the Boyz with more points then third place...
db

OH Well........can't win them all, at least they placed...
Tradancur is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #24
sentient being

Items Treasure Chest
skybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 663.88
For PETE's SAKE!!! I already said those were NOT the drum points they announced! Don't believe everything the MC's said...yes I was one of the tabulators and we didn't print any drum points so only one person on the PLANET knows the drum point totals. When the MC read the winners, he was reading the front of the envelope which was printed by the committee ahead of time and it had a number on the front which matched the number of the voucher inside the envelope!!!! Believe me, we had to answer that question several times for the singers too.

Also, the Drum judges/coordinators set up a rule that all the singers had to be at their drum for every drum roll call or they lost 25 points. Saturday night was the ONLY night that all the drums had all their singers at drum roll call, so that might answer the question about how certain drums placed. Again, that falls to the individual drum, the lead and his singers. The thinking is that if you're contesting for $10,000, the singers need to make an effort to be there.

About Middy Logan...apparently she or her parent registered her twice, once in each category and she used a different name...believe it or not, when people see that there aren't enough dancers in one category, they will do ANYTHING to break the rules and change their registration. She was not the only one to figure that out this weekend, we caught two or three others doing it also. I will get back to the committee about that, I'm fairly sure she didn't get paid twice though, because we still had the voucher for the 5th place in teen girls southern cloth.
skybird5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #25
Tiny Tot Dancer

opwaaganasin is a jewel in the rough
powwow tent?

These guys build an arena yet? Or are they still powwowin in that dusty-azz tent?
opwaaganasin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

slthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

personally, i felt wierd the whole weekend.then to make it worse, saturday night they had all those stabbings!! that was scary, i mean right there next to the pow wow, outside the tent. i'm just glad they didn't have guns!! still, it was dangerous and we shouldn't have to fear for our kid's safety at a pow wow!! anyway, lots of drama going on. one of my little cousin's almost got run over by a couple of drunk idiots while he was asleep in the tent at the campgrounds. my aunt and cousins eventually had to just pack up and sleep in their truck because the "drunks" were everywhere. that's so awful!!! and scary!!!! alot of good dancers got shut out. don't think we'll be back to this one!!
slthurman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #27
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
Savings: 1.00
what? there were stabbings there?...and camping? i didnt know about camping?...i would camp if i was to go...but after i hear about stabbings...ill have top rethink...
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

slthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond reputeslthurman has a reputation beyond repute
yup, several stabbings during saturday night's women's contests. i'm just glad my kids weren't there! or else i would've felt really awful!! it's sad that it's come to that point at pow wows!! hopefully next year security will be more present.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #29
SoCal Yaqui

NSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond repute
NSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,748.77
I was there Saturday night during the contests and while you could hear the sirens, it didnt seem to disrupt the contest too much. I think the stabbing may have been gang related since there are some gangs in the area that were coming through. Anyone hear that? It's unfortunate that it happended for sure.
NSoto is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #30
mtn lover..

dancing bear is a glorious beacon of light
Location: wyoming now.. originally from new mexico though.. but summer is coming.. so my tent or my car..
stabbings, dust, drunks.... heat!!! first time I went to this powwow and it had all the drama of a regular summertime powwow.. lol.. sorry.. I am not making light of what happened saturday night.. it is sad that that had to happen...
I remember hearing the sirens and the mcs saying something about security needed... crazy..
and... I do think the Boyz sang very well this weekend, despite their placement.... High Noon was good.. haven't heard them since Ponemah 2004? something like that.. good to hear them again... and Wild Rose, wow.. been almost ten years since I heard them live and it a nice surprise.... Was cool to hear Black Lodge "live" since it's been a while for this particular dancer, some good songs.. I liked hearing Red Bull too.. heard of them now I can say I've seen and heard them at a powwow... good singing there..
Only complaint I had the whole weekend... is super 8.. do not stay there, tell others to not stay there!! lol.... lets just say I"m checking with the BBB to file a complaint about them.. leave it at tat..
Anyway.. good luck to everyone going to Kinder, and Rapid..
db
dancing bear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #31
Tiny Tot Dancer

NativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond reputeNativeChick509 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 982.77
hopefully the powwow comittee will hire more security men next year
with more strict inspections on visitors before they enter the powwow grounds?

shoot might as well get metal detectors and trace who has guns n knives nwutnot...*ahem*

I hope all powwow comittee's will do this if its in the city,especially in Cali
or all the big name powwow's out there
get metal detectors *ahem again*

got children,families who come to enjoy the powwow,not the gangviolence

but anyways,congrats to the winners
NativeChick509 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 AM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

laokie is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybird5 View Post
About Middy Logan...apparently she or her parent registered her twice, once in each category and she used a different name...believe it or not, when people see that there aren't enough dancers in one category, they will do ANYTHING to break the rules and change their registration. She was not the only one to figure that out this weekend, we caught two or three others doing it also. I will get back to the committee about that, I'm fairly sure she didn't get paid twice though, because we still had the voucher for the 5th place in teen girls southern cloth.

The bigger question is, if she only danced in the buckskin contest, and there were only 2, how in the world did she place 5th in the cloth?? did she dance in both? Does that mean that depending on how many are in a category, you can place just on grand entry points? You don't even have to contest? THAT doesn't make sense! If a dancer is not dancing in their contest, then that number should be disqualified! You don't just add up xx number of points and whatever place they fall into, that's the place they win.
Seems like the tabulators should have caught that!
Old 09-30-2008, 02:02 AM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

Unhappy

Banning man arrested in fatal stabbing at Morongo powwow | Inland News | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California
Old 09-30-2008, 02:29 AM   #34
SoCal Yaqui

NSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond repute
NSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond reputeNSoto has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,748.77
That article explains it all....crazy!
NSoto is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #35
*~*~*

ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 371.64
Wasn't that scary??? It happened right behind where Paul G and I were sitting. It made me nervous to leave the tent the rest of the weekend. I didn't have the girls out there with us this weekend and I am thankful for that now because usually I let them have a little more freedom at powwows that other places. I would have freaked out and made them stay at my ankles (or in the room at the casino) the whole rest of the weekend.

They were talking about moving it to the building where the bowling alley is next year. I can think of about 50 reasons why this would be a good idea. lol

and wow....did you all see the comment from some reader at the bottom of the article? Ignorant....

Last edited by ok24stacey; 09-30-2008 at 06:02 PM..
ok24stacey is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #36
Junior Dancer

Evenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond reputeEvenstar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 640.65
Does anyone know how Maggie Black Kettle is doing?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #37
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
Quote:
Originally Posted by slthurman View Post
yup, several stabbings during saturday night's women's contests. i'm just glad my kids weren't there! or else i would've felt really awful!! it's sad that it's come to that point at pow wows!! hopefully next year security will be more present.
Welcome to SoCal!!!!.....

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #38
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybird5 View Post
For PETE's SAKE!!! I already said those were NOT the drum points they announced! Don't believe everything the MC's said...yes I was one of the tabulators and we didn't print any drum points so only one person on the PLANET knows the drum point totals. When the MC read the winners, he was reading the front of the envelope which was printed by the committee ahead of time and it had a number on the front which matched the number of the voucher inside the envelope!!!! Believe me, we had to answer that question several times for the singers too. .
are you sure they weren't the drum points???.....I'm pretty sure they were the drum points.........*like I was even there, or even care*.....LOL!!!!

Wow, and you guys didn't notice the Middy "scandal"???.....LOL!!!.....heck, might as well give it a name.....Middy-gate......LOL!!!

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #39
&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; gt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp; amp;amp; amp;amp; amp;gt;: +:&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a m p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;

Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 590.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
Does anyone know how Maggie Black Kettle is doing?

They said she is fine. Just worn out I guess. I didn't know anything happened until they annouced she was ok.
That stabbing was crazy. I was sitting on that side and it was right behind me haha. They coulda did a better job of clearing the people away from the area...but you know how nosey NDNs are hahaha.
Hope they move it somewhere else...I dont remember it being this hot when I was last there in 06.

see my powwow videos here...
www.youtube.com/oaklee84
Mr Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #40
Pow Wow Visitor

PaiuteN8ive is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Great Job Sacred Wind. Keep up the good singing! Congrats to all the winners.
PaiuteN8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links