Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports AIA Orlando Powwow Disappointment AIA Orlando Powwow Disappointment

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
PawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond reputePawneeMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
AIA Orlando Powwow Disappointment

I was real disappointed on Saturday night when I went to the AIA Orlando Powwow. I am Native American and I felt so out of place and uncomfortable at a powwow. I am sorry but 98% of the so called natives were nothing but white people dressed in native clothing trying to act native. One vendor had so called native craft when I picked it up to look at it, the person had forgotten to take the Made in China sticker off. I just moved to Florida from out west 8 months ago, I grew up going and participating in powwows, this was nothing close, I guess I am not accustomed to this kind of stuff, I went with the feeling of having a good time with other tribal brothers and most of the people there were nothing of the sort. I am sorry if I offend someone with the above mentioned but I just had to get it off my chest. I am sorry but I will not return in the future to this so called powwow.
PawneeMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawneeMan View Post
I was real disappointed on Saturday night when I went to the AIA Orlando Powwow. I am Native American and I felt so out of place and uncomfortable at a powwow. I am sorry but 98% of the so called natives were nothing but white people dressed in native clothing trying to act native. One vendor had so called native craft when I picked it up to look at it, the person had forgotten to take the Made in China sticker off. I just moved to Florida from out west 8 months ago, I grew up going and participating in powwows, this was nothing close, I guess I am not accustomed to this kind of stuff, I went with the feeling of having a good time with other tribal brothers and most of the people there were nothing of the sort. I am sorry if I offend someone with the above mentioned but I just had to get it off my chest. I am sorry but I will not return in the future to this so called powwow.
Welcome to Florida. I went as well knowing that this would be there but alot of my friends that I haven't seen since the beginning of the year were there so that made it worth while. This powwow used to be good back in the day with the original committee members. But now with this new group it's gone completely downhill. Sorry you had to witness this, but that goes along with living here. There are some really good powwows here, but unfortunately AIA is not the best one.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Junior Dancer

PrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with MayChe. I was born and raised in Lakeland, FL...My mom is a Comanche transplant. There used to be some really good dances when I was a teenager and Orlando used to be one of them. I didn't go this year because of relocating to Texas, and I only spent a couple hours there last year because it was so bad. I think I stayed long enough to have a taco. :) But youre lucky because the Seminole tribe is having a really good dance in two weeks. One of the members posted a flyer for it just a few days ago. If you go to any dances in Florida...the Seminole sponsored powwows are usually really good. There is also a powwow in New Port Richey that's pretty good too. There's actually more natives there than white dancers which is not typical for FL. I would love to go to the powwow in Tampa in two weeks...but with the holidays...my travel plans for the next couple months are set and it didn't include going to FL. :)

I will tell you...if you make the Tampa powwow....make a point to meet the AD, Duane Whitehorse. He's Kiowa and my adopted unlce. Very nice guy, very welcoming, and when my mom gets the itch to be with natives...she usually visits with Duane and his wife, Maria. If you want to feel welcomed...those two will really help you do that. Just tell him Prairie says HI all the way from Texas! He may be super busy with the dance, but I am sure will take a minute to chat with you.

If you ever have any questions about dances there...feel free to message me. My mom keeps me up to date on all the goings on!
PrairieTX is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Golden Age Powwow Dancer

Traditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Best Florida Powwows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieTX View Post
I agree with MayChe. I was born and raised in Lakeland, FL...My mom is a Comanche transplant. There used to be some really good dances when I was a teenager and Orlando used to be one of them. I didn't go this year because of relocating to Texas, and I only spent a couple hours there last year because it was so bad. I think I stayed long enough to have a taco. :) But youre lucky because the Seminole tribe is having a really good dance in two weeks. One of the members posted a flyer for it just a few days ago. If you go to any dances in Florida...the Seminole sponsored powwows are usually really good. There is also a powwow in New Port Richey that's pretty good too. There's actually more natives there than white dancers which is not typical for FL. I would love to go to the powwow in Tampa in two weeks...but with the holidays...my travel plans for the next couple months are set and it didn't include going to FL. :)

I will tell you...if you make the Tampa powwow....make a point to meet the AD, Duane Whitehorse. He's Kiowa and my adopted unlce. Very nice guy, very welcoming, and when my mom gets the itch to be with natives...she usually visits with Duane and his wife, Maria. If you want to feel welcomed...those two will really help you do that. Just tell him Prairie says HI all the way from Texas! He may be super busy with the dance, but I am sure will take a minute to chat with you.

If you ever have any questions about dances there...feel free to message me. My mom keeps me up to date on all the goings on!
Hello Prairie! We have wondered what happened to you, your sister and your brothers. I don't see your Mom and Dad that much anymore.

Mayche and Prairie are right. Back in the day AIA was a great powwow, but since the new organization took over it has gone downhill fast. In Florida, the best powwows are: in Discover Native America (in Tampa), the Seminole Tribal Fair (in Hollywood), the Melbourne Powwow (in Melbourne, FL), the Chasco Powwow (in New Port Richey). If you go to any others you are taking a chance on seeing the same people you saw at AIA.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

PrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond reputePrairieTX has a reputation beyond repute
I think I have to agree with those are probably the best four to go to. My mom and I took at trip up to the FSU powwow in Tallahassee. It was pretty good as well, but I don't know if they still have that one.

~Traditional Lady....Mom & Dad don't go too much anymore...I think for the same reasons PawneeMan was venting about. Mom's been in OK much of the the last part of the year helping my grandparents. Dad doesn't go without Mom. The sibilings are doing their own thing...families and work. Message me and tell me who you are... :) Would like to know and am unable to identify you by Traditional Lady!
PrairieTX is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Northerner in Florida

J.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L. Benet has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 802.28
Thanks for the heads up. I live in Tampa and was going to go to this one. It looks like I didn't miss much.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
From their Website...

The American Indian Association of Florida, Inc. was incorporated on July 2, 1970 in Orlando, Florida. The AIA was founded as a social, inter-tribal, non-political, and non-profit organization welcoming those with American Indian heritage as well as those who have a sincere interest in Native American culture.

I would only assume many non-indians would be there.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

Asgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond reputeAsgaya_Gigagei has a reputation beyond repute
I understand why people get disappointed at the AIA, its a downward spiral. Every time one gets dissapointed they dont go back and again, they lose a patron and supporter. Unless it gets more support and a voice from people from time to time on how to improve it. Then its 20 + years that its been happening have just been a waste of time. If they dont know whats wrong then how can they Improve it. I hear it all the time. I ask what can happen to improve it? I dont ever get any answers cuz they dont know, I know I dont have any answers to fix it. I do know most of the members of the committee and im sure they would be open to a dialog on Improving it. I do continue to attend and I enjoy the drum groups. And will continue to support it. Because its one of few Pow Wows in Central FL that happen each year. And Its Close to my home. Its not a great pow wow but it has room for Improvement if someone knows how. But I still enjoy myself and lose myself in the drum beat. So I will continue to attend.

So if anyone has some suggestions on how to Improve AIA, contact them and see where it can go.

American Indian Association of Florida, Inc. - Contact Us
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

damiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond reputedamiensmumma has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,240.95
glad i came across this post. i just recently moved down to central fl and was wondering about the powwows. i spent some time in TN and Ky and came across the hobbyist powwows. i need to find the goot ones down here too.
damiensmumma is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
AIA is better now

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiensmumma View Post
glad i came across this post. i just recently moved down to central fl and was wondering about the powwows. i spent some time in TN and Ky and came across the hobbyist powwows. i need to find the goot ones down here too.
2014 and 2015--it's better now!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 85,122.75
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp View Post
2014 and 2015--it's better now!
ha!
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 AM   #12
is rockin & rollin \m/

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
I went to a powwow like that in Arkansas in 2004 and was boring.
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #13
Pow Wow Visitor

kazik12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 110.00
it's nice for me
kazik12 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101,456.89
This guy ^^^^ needs to be 86'd.
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #15
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,793.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
This guy ^^^^ needs to be 86'd.
He's on his way ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 AM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

eledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant futureeledoremassis02 has a brilliant future
Credits: 2,282.25
I also just moved to Florida! I was just wondering about Powwows here. Are there more in the Orlando area?
eledoremassis02 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
is rockin & rollin \m/

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 76,397.87
Savings: 52.80
That Arkansas powwow was nothing but whites dressed up trying too be NDN. It was sad. There was a few real NDNs there, but not enough to stick around to stay and watch the powwow.
Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2016, 04:07 AM   #18

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,892.94
Were they hobbists? Can't avoid saying if whites or other people but the real injuns do a powwow, it does not look right to me, it looks silly infact. If non ndn's got adopted into a tribe or grew up with a tribe as family members it may be different. I felt honored when a native american friend invited me to go with her at intertribal dance but at the same time I felt akward since I am not ndn. I was a guest and it was great having had that previledge to get invited. So I "walked" with the ladies.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links