PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Trip Reports (http://forums.powwows.com/f45/)
-   -   How many of you go to non contest powwows? (http://forums.powwows.com/f45/how-many-you-go-non-contest-powwows-25194/)

* Cetan Zi * 03-11-2005 06:12 PM

I like going to all kinds of powwows.

I like to think that the traditional ones teach our kids that money is not the only reason to dance.

a couple young women i know dance to try to win. which they dont win.

and my son likes to go to dance, visit and eat..lol.

Takini 03-11-2005 06:21 PM

Coyot_In_The_House 03-11-2005 07:57 PM

I Don't Discriminate......

:crossfing

lakota_mami303 03-15-2005 08:40 PM

itz good 2 kno that people still dont mind goin 2 non-contest powwowz. Nowadays thats all people are worried is money and sumtimes that gets 2 peoples heads and they forget the real reason why they are there.

MissFancyChick 04-11-2005 04:41 PM

hmm...

i think the non contest powwows are just great... in the seattle area they have one almost every weekend somewhere... now that im over in E WA on the rez there arent very many... kinda ironic how that goes sometimes... haha
but we did have one not too long ago... groundhogs day... where the prize was a blanket.... remember back in the day....? haha

Kio-Manche 04-11-2005 09:33 PM

Non-con powwows

I go to both....as a gourd dancer, I of course prefer non-cons simply because I get to dance more...usually.

ojibwaysweetie 04-20-2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby 2sday
Yup I still go too. Started out w/ traditional powwows and still hit them as well as contest. I do both! :)

Same here.

Boozhoo Ruby!

Panther11Gurl 04-21-2005 12:55 AM

All I know is that there are three non contest pow-wows, I hav ebeen to them, and they are so much fun...

azshinob 05-20-2005 03:47 PM

non contest pow-wows

Non contest pow-wows are the ones i prefer to go to, I will attend a comp pow-wow if there are no non comps going on.I feel more comfortable at non comps.

springergoddess 05-20-2005 04:36 PM

traditional powwows are fun. Especially when their is time for snake dance, teepee sweeping, at contest their is no time just competition

Nishkwe_16 05-25-2005 09:26 AM

I love traditional pow wows my rez has one every year.. This years is June 4-5,,, beautiful pow wow too:) i love juss dancin and not worryin about rackin up dem points hahah...

ANNA NICOLE 05-25-2005 10:29 AM

A powwow is a powwow, whether its a non contest powwow or with contest, as long as its going on, i'm going there!

Wakalapi 05-26-2005 02:34 PM

I like a balance, too. I run a kids' drum group. From that perspective, I like traditional powwows simply because they tend to be smaller with <10 drums, so we get a turn to sing more often. The down side is lack of variety and lots of fillers. Lack of variety means nothing but intertribals all day, unless they have an exhibition dance by category, and that's not always the case. Lots of fillers means musical chairs and other time-taker-uppers. Also, there is a certain crowd that frequents non-contest powwows in our area, they tend to get really preachy and want to "educate" the audience about everything, all the time. A dropped feather, for instance, needs a certain protocol to be dealt with but these folks turn it into an elongated, elaborate ceremony and spend 10 additional minutes preaching about how traditional we are if we do things their way.

From a photographer's perspective, and from the youth drum leader's perspective as well, I also like the big contest powwows. They attract the "big name" drums and champion dancers, these are who I want the kids to learn from the most. You also get to sing more of a variety of song styles, crow hops, sneakups, slides, etc., for the contest dancers. If a ceremony is necessary, it is done properly BUT quickly and gets out of the way fast (well, usually, unless it's one of the billion memorial giveaways certain tribes have). The down side is when there are 30-40+ other drums and we don't get to sing more than once or twice a day, if at all. Or when they have the contest drums do all the contest singing and relegate non-contest drums to intertribals.

Attitudes: I really don't like some of them. I've heard non-contestors say that contestors only dance for the wrong reasons (money) and contestors say non-contestors only go to tradish powwows because they are not good enough to dance or sing in contest. Maybe they are both right about certain people, maybe quite a few people, but still a blanket statement is not really the right thing to do. I think everybody that does that is...blah blah blah... lol j/k.

powwow person 05-26-2005 07:03 PM

i go to both

~Journey~ 05-26-2005 07:24 PM

Non contest powwows with my friends! Gotta love that 2step and round dancing!

Running River 05-26-2005 07:45 PM

Non Con are the best! Not so Uptight. You can just relax and enjoy.

bahnisiain 06-12-2005 04:23 PM

i go to a few a year. a couple i dance in and the others i just watch.

thizgirlpowwows 06-24-2005 01:02 AM

DONT FORGET SCHOOL POWWOWS.

I LOVE TRADISH PWS CAUSE THEY ARE LAID-BACK, DONT HAVE TO BE RUSHING AROUND SPEEDING, EYEING OUT YOUR COMP, SEWING LAST MINUTE, ETC, ETC. BRINGS ME BACK TO REALITY OF POWWOWS, YOU KNOW, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR FOLLOWING THE PW CIRCUIT FOR COMPETITION PWS. YOU CAN CHILL WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRENS, DO THE TWO-STEP W/O BEING AFRAID LOL.

ALSO AT SCHOOL PWS, I LOVE TO WATCH LIL KIDS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT DANCING DURING THE INTERTRIBALS WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD, WORRIED THAT SOMEONE WILL MAKE FUN OF THEM, WE CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THEM, THEY DANCE FROM THEIR HEART. ALSO THOSE YOUNG, SINGERS WHO ARE BEGINNERS CAN LEARN AND MAKE THOSE MISTAKES WITHOUT BAD FEELINGS OR GETTING CHEWED OUT.

vince_j 06-24-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thizgirlpowwows
DONT FORGET SCHOOL POWWOWS.....

hey not so loud... it's still early. LOL

The drums are more acceptable to visitors sitting in at the non contest PWs. That's usually my thing. But the contest PWs bring some of the best dancing entertainment and singers.

I kinda lean towards the Contest types, but then again everyone knows everyone and they don't usually visit with non-contest folks.

oh^wise^woman 06-24-2005 11:40 AM

if its got pow wow in it count me in. money or no money i love pow wow. love the guys. love the food. you bet i'l be there!