PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Trip Reports (http://forums.powwows.com/f45/)
-   -   How many of you go to non contest powwows? (http://forums.powwows.com/f45/how-many-you-go-non-contest-powwows-25194/)

youngestjingles 01-16-2006 10:12 PM

heck yes

i go to both to dance and visit with friends and family :thumbsup:

Privateer6 01-16-2006 10:51 PM

I prefer the non-contest ones becasue the atmosphere is more relaxed I have attended contest ones, but sometimes the other dancers are not social. Not always, just most of the time.

bahnisiain 01-18-2006 03:41 PM

i go to both and the non-contest one are laid back, more time social time.

ajibik 02-13-2006 06:25 AM

One of the best traditional powwows (I'm rather partial) is at White Earth, MN on the second full weekend of June.

This year is the Gawabaabiganikaak Ishkonigan Nimiwin (White Earth Rez Dance) 140th annual.

Mushkiki 03-15-2006 03:42 PM

That's All I do

I am from NW Ontario and the majority of our pow-wows are still traditional with exception for a couple communities such as Whitefish Bay or Rat Portage who hold a contest pow-wow. I am thankful that we dance for good life and not for $$$. Money is great but that is not what our dances about. It is not about being better than your fellow man it is about being united with him. Maybe I'm just old school on this topic but I have had a couple bad experiences at the contest pow-wows I did attend. That was both in and out of the dance area.
Great traditional pow-wows that are large in size can be found in Big Grassy, Big Island, Whitefish Bay, Northwest Bay, Stanjikoming, Couchiching, Fort William (Mt. McKay), Shoal Lake, Grassy Narrows, Lake Helen (Nipigon). The Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin have traditional pow-wows but many are slowly introducing competition specials into the pow-wow here and there. Slowly the traditional pow-wow is disappearing. This is a real shame!
I strongly support the continuation of the traditional pow-wow and pray that it survives all the materialism that is around us. I agree with many of the Ojibway writers in this thread. I am happy many still agree that the traditional pow-wow is the best way to go and that people can see past the flash and $$$!!!! Meegwetch!
I must say that the competiton pow-wow has its positives as you tend to see an individual's best and they are very exciting and vibrant to the spectator.
That's all I have to say. :regular_s

hywalker 03-15-2006 04:04 PM

non contest pw's rule :)

in our area they're almost all contest. we travel to wifes tribal area to go to non contest powwows and have been more thrilled in the non contest style than the ones we have around st. louis (no big surprise eh? lol). In fact , we love the non contest style so much were throwing one in honor of her parents 50th wedding anniversary later this summer, feels like waiting for christmas as a kid lol. many members of her family and tribe are making the journey up here for the powwow. just very psyched to finally have a family style powwow right here where we live :regular_s my deepest thanks to the members of the Kiowa's, Comanche's, Cheyenne, Arapaho, and other tribes that are volunteering their time to make this unprecidented powwow come alive.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=32231

HolyElk 03-15-2006 04:55 PM

I enjoy tradish powwow's. I know my daughter would enjoy them too, this way she won't be judged for her style of dancing.

TKMJ Productions 04-19-2006 07:22 AM

Traditional or contest, it doesn't matter. I do sound or dance sometimes both. For me, the contest money doesn't matter. I dance to dance. At contest powwows, I have never placed in the money. Day money is cool and helps with gas but I don't expect it. If it happens, it happens.

For me it's not the cash or the standings that count. It's being in the circle to dance. It's the sound of the drum. It's the chance to live my life as I see fit. It's a time for family and friends.

Have Powwow, will come!!!!

Ken

RedShield 05-02-2006 12:08 PM

Around here in the Ohio, Kentucky, WV, Indiana and Pennsylvania curcuit, most pow wows are non-contest, I like them. I get the chance to travel around and meet new people and see others I don't get the chance to see otherwise. It is laid back and I can either dance or sing for fun, yeah some money helps pay for the gas or whatever, but not neccessary. On two drums I've sang with money is what ultimately led to the downfall of each, so with this drum I have now, it'll be about singing for the fun and love of singing not worrying about how much money we make... any money that we do get is all split equally anyways.
As for contest pow wows, when I was living in Washington i LOVED THEM... mostly big name dancers and drums, you got the chance to see them and all the others that just showed up for day money to keep singing or dancing and get better by singing and dancing with the big dogs. I miss Julyamsh with a passion but my job keeps me busy that weekend every year... but we normally make it back for Arlee. There are pros and cons to both... but in my opinion, I prefer non-contest for the fun, but won't miss a contest if I can make it!

Paselo

SpiritChickenFingers 05-02-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedShield
Around here in the Ohio, Kentucky, WV, Indiana and Pennsylvania curcuit, most pow wows are non-contest, I like them. I get the chance to travel around and meet new people and see others I don't get the chance to see otherwise. It is laid back and I can either dance or sing for fun, yeah some money helps pay for the gas or whatever, but not neccessary. On two drums I've sang with money is what ultimately led to the downfall of each, so with this drum I have now, it'll be about singing for the fun and love of singing not worrying about how much money we make... any money that we do get is all split equally anyways.
As for contest pow wows, when I was living in Washington i LOVED THEM... mostly big name dancers and drums, you got the chance to see them and all the others that just showed up for day money to keep singing or dancing and get better by singing and dancing with the big dogs. I miss Julyamsh with a passion but my job keeps me busy that weekend every year... but we normally make it back for Arlee. There are pros and cons to both... but in my opinion, I prefer non-contest for the fun, but won't miss a contest if I can make it!

Paselo

You smell faintly of bleu cheese and chicken fingers.