Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports How many of you go to non contest powwows? How many of you go to non contest powwows?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 PM   #81
1st lady

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
youngestjingles is just really nice
Location: i live where the sunrises in the northwest. aka Yakama Rez in washington
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
heck yes

i go to both to dance and visit with friends and family

"dance all your life, just don't be a dancer all your life"

-no one can hold me back except me-
youngestjingles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #82
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Savings: 1.00
I prefer the non-contest ones becasue the atmosphere is more relaxed I have attended contest ones, but sometimes the other dancers are not social. Not always, just most of the time.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #83
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
i go to both and the non-contest one are laid back, more time social time.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #84
Absolute Low Life

ajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,005.64
One of the best traditional powwows (I'm rather partial) is at White Earth, MN on the second full weekend of June.

This year is the Gawabaabiganikaak Ishkonigan Nimiwin (White Earth Rez Dance) 140th annual.

ajibik is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #85
Boozhoo!

Mushkiki will become famous soon enough
Post That's All I do

I am from NW Ontario and the majority of our pow-wows are still traditional with exception for a couple communities such as Whitefish Bay or Rat Portage who hold a contest pow-wow. I am thankful that we dance for good life and not for $$$. Money is great but that is not what our dances about. It is not about being better than your fellow man it is about being united with him. Maybe I'm just old school on this topic but I have had a couple bad experiences at the contest pow-wows I did attend. That was both in and out of the dance area.
Great traditional pow-wows that are large in size can be found in Big Grassy, Big Island, Whitefish Bay, Northwest Bay, Stanjikoming, Couchiching, Fort William (Mt. McKay), Shoal Lake, Grassy Narrows, Lake Helen (Nipigon). The Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin have traditional pow-wows but many are slowly introducing competition specials into the pow-wow here and there. Slowly the traditional pow-wow is disappearing. This is a real shame!
I strongly support the continuation of the traditional pow-wow and pray that it survives all the materialism that is around us. I agree with many of the Ojibway writers in this thread. I am happy many still agree that the traditional pow-wow is the best way to go and that people can see past the flash and $$$!!!! Meegwetch!
I must say that the competiton pow-wow has its positives as you tend to see an individual's best and they are very exciting and vibrant to the spectator.
That's all I have to say.

Last edited by Mushkiki; 03-15-2006 at 04:52 PM..
Mushkiki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #86
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
non contest pw's rule :)

in our area they're almost all contest. we travel to wifes tribal area to go to non contest powwows and have been more thrilled in the non contest style than the ones we have around st. louis (no big surprise eh? lol). In fact , we love the non contest style so much were throwing one in honor of her parents 50th wedding anniversary later this summer, feels like waiting for christmas as a kid lol. many members of her family and tribe are making the journey up here for the powwow. just very psyched to finally have a family style powwow right here where we live my deepest thanks to the members of the Kiowa's, Comanche's, Cheyenne, Arapaho, and other tribes that are volunteering their time to make this unprecidented powwow come alive.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=32231
Old 03-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #87
A Tiny Tots Mom

HolyElk has a reputation beyond repute
HolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond reputeHolyElk has a reputation beyond repute
I enjoy tradish powwow's. I know my daughter would enjoy them too, this way she won't be judged for her style of dancing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
As long as you keep a person down, some part of you is down there to hold that person down. So you don't soar higher than you want.

~~~CutHead Band of Sioux~~~

~~Native Pride~~

HolyElk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #88
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Traditional or contest, it doesn't matter. I do sound or dance sometimes both. For me, the contest money doesn't matter. I dance to dance. At contest powwows, I have never placed in the money. Day money is cool and helps with gas but I don't expect it. If it happens, it happens.

For me it's not the cash or the standings that count. It's being in the circle to dance. It's the sound of the drum. It's the chance to live my life as I see fit. It's a time for family and friends.

Have Powwow, will come!!!!

Ken
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #89
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
Around here in the Ohio, Kentucky, WV, Indiana and Pennsylvania curcuit, most pow wows are non-contest, I like them. I get the chance to travel around and meet new people and see others I don't get the chance to see otherwise. It is laid back and I can either dance or sing for fun, yeah some money helps pay for the gas or whatever, but not neccessary. On two drums I've sang with money is what ultimately led to the downfall of each, so with this drum I have now, it'll be about singing for the fun and love of singing not worrying about how much money we make... any money that we do get is all split equally anyways.
As for contest pow wows, when I was living in Washington i LOVED THEM... mostly big name dancers and drums, you got the chance to see them and all the others that just showed up for day money to keep singing or dancing and get better by singing and dancing with the big dogs. I miss Julyamsh with a passion but my job keeps me busy that weekend every year... but we normally make it back for Arlee. There are pros and cons to both... but in my opinion, I prefer non-contest for the fun, but won't miss a contest if I can make it!

Paselo
RedShield is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #90
THE Cherokee Princess

SpiritChickenFingers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShield
Around here in the Ohio, Kentucky, WV, Indiana and Pennsylvania curcuit, most pow wows are non-contest, I like them. I get the chance to travel around and meet new people and see others I don't get the chance to see otherwise. It is laid back and I can either dance or sing for fun, yeah some money helps pay for the gas or whatever, but not neccessary. On two drums I've sang with money is what ultimately led to the downfall of each, so with this drum I have now, it'll be about singing for the fun and love of singing not worrying about how much money we make... any money that we do get is all split equally anyways.
As for contest pow wows, when I was living in Washington i LOVED THEM... mostly big name dancers and drums, you got the chance to see them and all the others that just showed up for day money to keep singing or dancing and get better by singing and dancing with the big dogs. I miss Julyamsh with a passion but my job keeps me busy that weekend every year... but we normally make it back for Arlee. There are pros and cons to both... but in my opinion, I prefer non-contest for the fun, but won't miss a contest if I can make it!

Paselo
You smell faintly of bleu cheese and chicken fingers.