Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Insulted Insulted

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lovlie1 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry Insulted

I am a veteran, and for every grand entry I always line up with the vets. Most of the vets down here in the south know me and always crack jokes because they always say that I dont look old enough to be a vet but I am. So while dancing the Veterans song on [email protected] I was pulled out of the veteran line while the song was playing and people were dancing by the MC. He grabs my arm and pull me off to the side of the circle and says let the woman tradish go in front out of respect. Of course I am baffled, because this has never happened. I usually get the question of am i really a vet at line up. I know that it is hard for some people to look at me and believe how old I am let alone that I am a vet who spent ten yrs in. I brought what had happened to the attention of one of the elder veterans and the arena director, neither one said anything to the MC in my defense. One lady who has seen me on the trail and knows that I am a vet pulled me to the side and said that what he did was wrong and that the MC should have been notified what he did and was wrong for doing so.

Well when I tried to approach the MC to notify him that I am indeed a vet and deserve to dance just as much as any other person he blew me off and I never got the chance to tell him. The more and more i thought of it the more i felt kind of down played.

I KNOW THAT I LOOK YOUNG BUT I AM A VET!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
Lovelie1, you have to consider the source (the MC) - he is def a strange one. I know you were offended by him but don't put much stock in it and keep on dancing!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
Junior Dancer

Ty.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNQt
Lovelie1, you have to consider the source (the MC) - he is def a strange one. I know you were offended by him but don't put much stock in it and keep on dancing!
No offense to you, but NDNQt is right. The MC is why most real people avoid his pow wows. I have never heard of one event that he has been involved in where there wasn't some sort of incident like the one you described.

Personally, I've always thought the thought process of ranking the "most important or most honored" dancers in a grand entry was sort of counter-productive to what pow wows are about. If we were really doing this, wouldn't the elders and the kids be out in front? But, the kids are always last ???
Old 03-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

Well I always felt that it was the AD job to keep what goes on in the circle straight. Common sense should of told him that I was a vet seeing that I made through all of Saturday dancing with the vets and half way around that time. But then again maybe its just me!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
I am really sorry to hear this. And I just want to thank you for serving.

( gosh......I am getting so frustrated hearing about all the idiots out there.........IT IS DRIVING ME NUTTS!!)
Old 03-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNQt
Is this that Ocaneechie guy up around Mebane, NC

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Junior Dancer

MsLum91 has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 1,109.84
One in the same. I avoid powwows where he is involved at all cost. I would rather stay home and twiddle my thumbs than put up with his nonsense. He basically feeds every typical (negative) stereotype that a lot of us have spent most of our lives trying to dispell. His name is all I need to see to make my decision about whether or not I'm going to attend an event.

I hope that committee and others will soon take note of what's been happening and the feelings most people have about working with people like him and start to wise up. He's not the only one, but in my opinion he's the worst.

www.myspace/BeckyGoins
MsLum91 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Hmm, do I even need to ask who the MC was??

He has quite a rep, it amazes me that committees still hire him!
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

Well this is my first negative run in with this MC. I have heard a lot of folks say stuff about him but I never knew first hand.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #11
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
sorry to hear you were so disrespected in this manner...and by the sounds of it this dude (mc) doesn't sound like he has too many fans out there. maybe if the word is spread out more he won't be apart of any more pws.

my parents always told me not to dwell on something too long because it only makes YOU unhappy. And that the Creator has ways of making things "right" in the end and you only have to wait...
Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

Done Deal!

Hey as soon as I wrote this post I had let it go. I know better then to dwell on negative things. I can't control whatever everyone else does, only what I do!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
Dansin reel goot!

RedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Keep dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovlie1
Hey as soon as I wrote this post I had let it go. I know better then to dwell on negative things. I can't control whatever everyone else does, only what I do!

After reading your first post and reading this last one, I agree with you, no need to dwell on negative stuff. I also want to thank you for serving in the armed forces. Yeah, these days there are a lot of young veterans out there and that don't mean any less than the older veterans. You all put your life on the line for your people and your country, A BIG THANK YOU! I am just appauled by the actions of this particular MC. Stay strong and keep dancing. AHO!

"Dance me outside...??"
RedGrassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #14
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, listen to Chazzif. This MC dude sounds harsh. Be strong and stay the course.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2005, 01:43 AM   #15
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
I would have told him that I'm a Vet and stayed my place. This is a case where the all-respected "MC's authority" is once again, just a bunch of hogwash and he needs to be defied and embarrassed in front of all. This should not be dropped. IF what I am gleaning from others' descriptions is true, there needs to be a crusade to eliminate him from this job. Go to the committees, go to the funding sources, hit where it counts. Pull no punches.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:56 AM   #16
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi
I would done the same thing Let the vets dance for the vet songs **** with the MC.
lovlie1 you have the green signal and the track is clear for you to dance the vets dance.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #17
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakalapi
I would have told him that I'm a Vet and stayed my place. This is a case where the all-respected "MC's authority" is once again, just a bunch of hogwash and he needs to be defied and embarrassed in front of all. This should not be dropped. IF what I am gleaning from others' descriptions is true, there needs to be a crusade to eliminate him from this job. Go to the committees, go to the funding sources, hit where it counts. Pull no punches.

You know I have been told the same thing over and over again. Most of the folks I know on the powwow trail say that I should see to it that this incident be known. Don't get me wrong I might not be making a crusade out of it, but everyone I meet i am not shy about holding my tongue on what took place down there in hardeeville and how I feel about it!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Annie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond reputeAnnie Fawn has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 24.00
I think a issue should be made of this! If he feels he has the right to pull you a Vet. out of the dance what is to stop him from pulling a Elder out and saying they are too old to dance? This man is on a power trip and needs to be stopped!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:02 AM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

tsa-la-gi will become famous soon enough
Credits: 1,732.00
Thumbs down

Not only does this MC have a problem, but that whole pow-wow is turning to the darkside. I started having problems with that MC back about 10 years ago at the Edisto pow-wow I was a high schooler back then and he was always harrasing me about something. The best thing we can do is refuse to go to any gathering that employs people that further sterotypes that are negitive and disrespect us.

The fact that I live in SC has been making it hard to go dance lately. There are more dances I can't go to than there are ones I can.

MM
Old 06-01-2005, 01:52 AM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
One way our people really put people in their place is to provide a nice blanket along with an honorarium thanking them. Explain what you are in front of a lot of people and advise him that you have earned the right to be a Veteran because of the duties you have served for all the people. Don't get insulting back at him just let him know in front of as many witnesses that you are a Veteran. Now if he does it again after this time, you can go to him in a public forum, such as a powwow and get somebody to speak for you to tell him to look into his past and remember a gift that was given to him. This should really put this person in his place. If he isn't embarrassed by his behaviour it will demonstrate to everybody else who is there what type of person/human being he is. You do all of this without ever resorting to name calling or disrespecting yourself.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links