PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Trip Reports (http://forums.powwows.com/f45/)
-   -   Julyamsh 2007 (http://forums.powwows.com/f45/julyamsh-2007-a-40096/)

kneegrow_native 07-30-2007 01:13 PM

Julyamsh 2007

Pow-wow was pretty good. Nice huge shades over the bleachers....yaaaaay! Rueben Little Head did a great job MC'ing. Lots of top dancers, and the weather was not too hot.

Here are the winners that I remembered:

Womens Fancy
1. Ursaloria Kanuho
2. Roseanne Green
3. Carol Melting Tallow
4. Regina Top Sky
5. Laverna Thompson

Women's Jingle
1. Jenifer Young Bear
2. Leah Syrette
3. Henrietta Scalplock
4. Thea McCloud
5. Lauren Frank

Women's Traditional
1. Summer Baldwin
2. Jodi Gillette
3. Amber Buffalo
4. Toni Tsatoke
5. Tisa Matheson

Men's Fancy
1. Spike Draper
2. Corey Reeder
3. Stan Whiteman Sr.
4. George Abeyta
5. Nigel Schuyler

Men's Grass
1. Wesley Windy Boy
2. Terrance Goodwill
3. Rusty Gillette
4. Rooster Top Sky
5. Daryl Bolton

Men's Tradish
1. Ardell Scalplock
2. Nathan Largo
3. Cetan Thunderhawk
4. Adrian Klein
5. Terry Fiddler

Men's Chicken Special (Over 40 dancers)
1. Sheldon Scalplock Sr.
2. Nat Iron Heart
3. Guy Fox

Consolations: Richard Street, Rooster Top Sky, Sheldon Scalplock Jr., and Louie Paul

Drum Contest
1. Northern Cree
2. Blackfoot Confederacy
3 Wild Rose
4. Meskwaki Nation
5. New Agency
6. Red Tail
7. Dancing Eagle
8. Wild Spirit

LISA IRONMAKER 07-30-2007 01:21 PM

hey thanks for the info.........I've been waiting all morning for someone to post da winners.......

holy shyt man........sounds like it was a goot one! wish I could of been there to tape........sum awesome drums there, huh? even Northern Cree dang.

congrats to my cuznt Rooster Top Sky and his wifey Gina Top Sky. Congrats to all da other winners.....

so, how many drums total were there?

hey..........who won my sister-in-laws special-Bobbi White? any one know?

kneegrow_native 07-30-2007 01:57 PM

Oh yeah, the Randy Tewawina Drummers Dance Contest Special was hilarious!!!!

They had to have a runoff between Whitehawk, Wild Rose, and Northern Cree. In the end Wild Rose won it on the strength of the Indiand Tommy Boy Buck Wallahee.

powwow_critic 07-30-2007 04:14 PM

Julyamsh 2007

These same people win every where. It's no fun no more to see these same people win. Some of these deserve to win, but that can't be said for all. I could probably predict who's going to place after watching the first grand entry. What's even more sad to see are people who aren't even Ndn'z win.

I do have to say that the Chicken Dance special was kick a**.

nativegoddess77 07-30-2007 05:33 PM

ALWAYS HAS TO BE SOMEBODY:mad: THAT HAS TO GRIPE ABOUT SOMETHING!![/I]

mdtulee 07-30-2007 05:53 PM

1st place- Aurolyn Stwyer Warm Springs Confederated.
2nd place- Mrs. Bronson Umatilla Confederated. She's from the Quempts family- from Pendleton.
3rd place- Charlene Tillequots Yakama- Nez Perce Harrah.
4th place- Lynne Pinkham Nez Perce Lapwai.
5th place Josephine George Rock Creek/ Toppenish.

Beautiful short fringe buckskin- Blackfoot Confederacy was asked to provide the songs. Good special- the only thing missing was "hut" popcorn.

LISA IRONMAKER 07-30-2007 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdtulee (Post 949525)
1st place- Aurolyn Stwyer Warm Springs Confederated.
2nd place- Mrs. Bronson Umatilla Confederated. She's from the Quempts family- from Pendleton.
3rd place- Charlene Tillequots Yakama- Nez Perce Harrah.
4th place- Lynne Pinkham Nez Perce Lapwai.
5th place Josephine George Rock Creek/ Toppenish.

Beautiful short fringe buckskin- Blackfoot Confederacy was asked to provide the songs. Good special- the only thing missing was "hut" popcorn.

hey mdtulee thanks for da info.....appreciate it!

NorthofAda 07-30-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powwow_critic (Post 949488)
What's even more sad to see are people who aren't even Ndn'z win.

?

non-NDN's winning? I'm surprised they didn't get carded...

chazziff 07-31-2007 10:56 AM

jus WHO are these so called non indians/natives who won .. would like to know .. lol

powwow_critic 07-31-2007 11:39 AM

Everyone knows who is and isn't ndn at these pow wows, unless you've just started going to pow wows this past weekend. I'm not going to mention names, because everyone will just stick up for them.

As for griping, it's not about griping. It's just telling the truth. And if you think its griping, then you must be one of those who are "in" there every weekend.

Don't get me wrong, it was a pretty good pow wow and I had a good time. It's the fact that when it comes down to contesting, the winners have already been decided.

mountainboy 07-31-2007 01:16 PM

Yep...sad to say...but powwow critic is right.
Same people win everywhere. And...a few "professional" powwow families take home quite a bundle each weekend. I witnessed one family take home over $3600 recently, after all family members placed high in their contests. Most I ever saw was a couple of years ago one family took home $8000 after winning their catagories and specials. It all has to do with their last name because they certainly weren't the best dancers out there. A few families out there are sweeping the powwows across the country just because of their last name.

mdtulee 07-31-2007 01:55 PM

All the contestants in Bobbi White's short fringe bucksin dress special were winners. It was really nice for us peoples local: Next gathering Kalispel Encampment for those traveling to gather with Kalispels and Pend o'Reilles.

kneegrow_native 07-31-2007 02:07 PM

I like the Kalispel Pow-wow. Nicest pow-wow grounds around these parts. Plus the free buffalo feed is awesome.

ntownn8ive 07-31-2007 02:31 PM

Buff...buff...buffalo.

Tatonka. Waste.

Well, if it makes anyone feel better, none of my favs won this weekend either, aye! It's dang ol' hard tryna find a "fair" contest when the people judging and what not pick people they know or head judges pick people they know and then already the contest is percieved at iffy, naw meen?

Like Biggy said "Mo money, mo problemz" :lol:

tradishjingle 07-31-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

These same people win every where. It's no fun no more to see these same people win. Some of these deserve to win, but that can't be said for all. I could probably predict who's going to place after watching the first grand entry. What's even more sad to see are people who aren't even Ndn'z win.

in what category were those non indians dancing???

Furiously-Fancy 08-01-2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

There are favorites in every category because certain dancers have paid their "dues" and have proven themselves in the arena time and time again......but as for knowing who would win------I don't think so. Take for example Men's Fancy......Cory Reeder placed @ Julyamsh for the first time ever.He's been there several times and he "tore it up" every time.......but never placed.Furthermore....Nigel Schuyler has never even been to Julyamsh and he got in......in fact I don't know if Nigel has ever been to the NW area. I don't know anyone that could have predicted the exact order of finish for any of the categories.I think it's pretty kewl how out west we're receptive to dancers from other areas.

Furiously-Fancy 08-01-2007 04:02 AM

: )

Quote:

There are favorites in every category because certain dancers have paid their "dues" and have proven themselves in the arena time and time again......but as for knowing who would win------I don't think so. Take for example Men's Fancy......Cory Reeder placed @ Julyamsh for the first time ever.He's been there several times and he "tore it up" every time.......but never placed.Furthermore....Nigel Schuyler has never even been to Julyamsh and he got in......in fact I don't know if Nigel has ever been to the NW area. I don't know anyone that could have predicted the exact order of finish for any of the categories.I think it's pretty kewl how out west we're receptive to dancers from other areas.

Furiously-Fancy 08-01-2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kneegrow_native (Post 949438)
Pow-wow was pretty good. Nice huge shades over the bleachers....yaaaaay! Rueben Little Head did a great job MC'ing. Lots of top dancers, and the weather was not too hot.

Here are the winners that I remembered:

Womens Fancy
1. Ursaloria Kanuho
2. Roseanne Green
3. Carol Melting Tallow
4. Regina Top Sky
5. Laverna Thompson

Women's Jingle
1. Jenifer Young Bear
2. Leah Syrette
3. Henrietta Scalplock
4. Thea McCloud
5. Lauren Frank

Women's Traditional
1. Summer Baldwin
2. Jodi Gillette
3. Amber Buffalo
4. Toni Tsatoke
5. Tisa Matheson

Men's Fancy
1. Spike Draper
2. Corey Reeder
3. Stan Whiteman Sr.
4. George Abeyta
5. ????? Strider

Men's Grass
1. Wesley Windy Boy
2. Terrance Goodwill
3. Rusty Gillette
4. Rooster Top Sky
5. Daryl Bolton

Men's Tradish
1. Ardell Scalplock
2. Nathan Largo
3. Cetan Thunderhawk
4. Adrian Klein
5. Terry Fiddler

Men's Chicken Special (Over 40 dancers)
1. Sheldon Scalplock Sr.
2. Nat Iron Heart
3. Guy Fox

Consolations: Richard Street, Rooster Top Sky, Sheldon Scalplock Jr., and Louie Paul

Drum Contest
1. Northern Cree
2. Blackfoot Confederacy
3 Wild Rose
4. Meskwaki Nation
5. New Agency
6. Red Tail
7. Dancing Eagle
8. Wild Spirit

Men's Fancy
5th Place Nigel Schuyler

mountainboy 08-01-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furiously-Fancy (Post 950025)

"Paid their dues." What a ridiculous thing to say. No one in this life should get a free ride. An honest, moral contest judge would know that every powwow should begin with a clean slate; every contest dancer entering the arena should be viewed as an unknown first-time dancer and observed for their dance skills at that particular powwow at that particular time. Of course that is not how it is done. Many judges are dancers themselves, or relatives of dancers, and follow who won where at the previous week's powwow. Many judges want to select popular dancers...just like a high school mentality...so they too can be part of the "in" crowd...in the hopes that they too will be picked as a winner at some future powwow. Its the scratch each others back syndrome. I've seen it all over the years. I've even overheard judges and dancers' conversations. Yes, now and then a new dancer places at a powwow...but that is the exception to the rule.

NorthofAda 08-01-2007 01:12 PM

Maybe folks keep winning because they're that good...

Other sports have "dynasties," teams that win over and over again, such as the Bulls of the early 1990s. It's also true that even the "greats" have off days, and sometimes the niche players have a great game and tear the place up. Sometimes the refs call the game tighter on the guys with the great rep, and sometimes they just "let 'em play."

Call me naive, if you wish, but as someone who is prepping for my first contest, after a couple of years dancing, I'm going into the contest with 2 goals...

1. To have fun and enjoy the dance.
2. To maybe, just maybe "tear it up?"

Isn't that what it's all about?

(P.S. Congrats to FF for placing!!!)