Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Metis PW in Indianapolis -all hobbyists/wannabes Metis PW in Indianapolis -all hobbyists/wannabes

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #1
To'di'cheeni / Taa'ba'haa

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
vince_j has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down Metis PW in Indianapolis -all hobbyists/wannabes

This small PW was solely a hobbyist PW. I don't think it should've been called a PW. More like dress-up and pretend you're a noble native.

I missed the Grand Entry, but the only native vendor (out of 20+) there told me that the wannabes brought in a buzzard. What I did see was groups of 9-12 dancers making several circles in the dance area, doing solo dances in the middle of these circles, then touching or pointing to another person to solo. The 3 groups that sang, if you want to call it that, were again wannabes with maybe a token native involved.

This was a total disgrace and encourage you to not waste your time there.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Vince,

I thought Metis were mixed Native with Canadian French? Just like Cajuns in Louisiana are mixed French and Native.

Are there enough Metis in Indianapolis to even have a powwow?

Mato? PowwowBum? Can you answer this?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

Running River has a reputation beyond repute
Running River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond reputeRunning River has a reputation beyond repute
I am Apache. I went to the Metis powwow. There were 2 drums, not 3. Thunder Canyon is based out of Ohio and IS Native American. The circles of people dancing you saw, were groups of people dancing what ever they wanted , too. This was doe to try to get everyone at the powwow, participants and spectators involved. The birds were brought in by the Staff at Eagle Creek Park. The Red taile d Hawk was nice, but I don,t think a turkey vulcher should have been there. It was a nice powwow until I got a phone call that my mother had passed. I guess to each his own.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
To'di'cheeni / Taa'ba'haa

vince_j has a spectacular aura about
If you were a part of putting that event together and I offended you... Good!

I'm sure you've been to traditional and contest PWs in the past. You as an Apache should discourage that sort of display. Take a stand.

If this was a serious attempt to promote native culture and involvement, then it was an absolute bust.

PS: sorry about your mother.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
I am Hunkpati Dakota Sioux. There, now I feel just like one of the others, lol. Really, I hate it when these wannabees just take our culture and fycking bystardize it.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

kitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond reputekitchemanitou has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Tawow

Save the talk for later and create a World Powwow Committee
on "who has the legal right to host a powwow" anywhere in this Universe before things get out of hand again.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
n/a

Brisa26 is a splendid one to beholdBrisa26 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchemanitou
on "who has the legal right to host a powwow" anywhere in this Universe before things get out of hand again.
lol... good one...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchemanitou
Better yet, we should just form a Powwow Police and when an infraction happens. Just round up the wannabees and wrap them in wet leather until they bind themselves into asphyxiation.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
Are there enough Metis in Indianapolis to even have a powwow?

Mato? PowwowBum? Can you answer this?
Wellllllllll .......... wish I could sure say I have no clue what your talking about but sad to say there are people here that claim Metis.

And quite frankly I was asked to join several years back. If I paid $25. I told him that I was NOT Metis. He said I didn't have to be. I asked the guy what does a person get for $25 .....told me about getting a card. I said I can print one off my computer for a lot less than $25 and it would mean just as much.

Last I knew it was headed by a guy named Bill Satori. Odd bird that claims to be a great medicine man. I met him back in the early '80's. Wasn't until several years ago in Indy at the powwow where I saw him again. It was sooooooo funny. I heard a guy giving the invocation.......right. He was praying and praying......... and thank you for all the wing-ed ones.... the ones that walk.......the ones that crawl..... the ones that swim... the ones that........etc etc etc....... and I said to who was with me..........I heard that prayer before....... if I didn't know better I would swear it was Bill Satori praying. Then they thanked him after he went on and on and on ......... Thank you Bill. Ladies and gentlemen..... that was our elder Bill Satori!! It was the same damn prayer he used in the "80's

Anyway........... The only apache's I saw ther were two white guys........one was all painted up and wore black......"danced" barefoot backwards....... and he has been I don't know how many tribes over the years. The other one is a small white guy that wears a skull cap and bustle. He tries.... but.

Anyway...... I live here...... I wouldnt go back. Heck....I wouldn't even let my daughter dance when we got a look at it.

And you notice I never even mentioned the "drums" ????

Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
Hola!

kgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
kgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,424.50
As far as I know it, the true Metis, with a capital M are in Canada, (i forget which province(s)). Metis means mixed, so I guess a lot of wannabes in the United States use it because they see a legitimate Indian group using it and they figure since their great-great-great-great -great-great grandmother was a quarter ndn then that makes them metis, or mixed. But the Metis in Canada aren't just a group of mixed bloods giving themselves a name, they have their own traditions, language, culture, dances and a specific history. It's not just a group of people who are mixed coming together because they are mixed (metis with a lower case m). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think any group south of Canada calling themselves Metis is suspect.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #11
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
That would be mainly Saskatchewan....but like others these days...people move to where jobs and opportunity are seen as better...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #12
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Seems like you support these so-called Metis groups in the more southern states Colona. The Metis in Canada don't do the kind of crap described.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:01 AM   #13
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii...
Where did you get that idea??? I didn't say that. And I sure wouldn't agree with supporting this....I was just mentioning that NO group of people are ALL where they used to be..that's all....I didn't offer any comment on this PW or any other Metis issue, American or Canadian.
Is there a reason for your hostility? I don't expect everybody to agree with me on everything...and they can even dislike it....but I don't like words put in my mouth, or assumptions made about what I might support. Take another look at what I said...
you normally are a pretty smart guy...
Old 06-15-2005, 12:13 AM   #14
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
but like others these days...people move to where jobs and opportunity are seen as better...

What you said is.............. Metis live mainly in Sask. ..........but people move to where jobs and opportunity are better...

It appears that you may believe that some Metis may have moved to maybe that area in the States where jobs and opportunity are better. Doesn't it?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #15
Oldfart

I didn't feel hostile when I typed that reply. just a comment.

And I'm not smart. normally.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:26 AM   #16
*~the REAL me~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
but like others these days...people move to where jobs and opportunity are seen as better...

What you said is.............. Metis live mainly in Sask. ..........but people move to where jobs and opportunity are better...

It appears that you may believe that some Metis may have moved to maybe that area in the States where jobs and opportunity are better. Doesn't it?
No, it doesn't. They may have gone to other provinces...to America...to just about anywhere...
I've never been to Indianapolis...or to that powwow, why on earth would I comment on what happened at it? Just a statement...that you can't assume any group of people are where they were historically...and nothing more meant, or implied. That's ALL I was saying....period.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:43 AM   #17
Hola!

kgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
kgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond reputekgirl7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,424.50
I hear what you're saying though what I meant was more along the lines of large groups of people claiming Metis. Hmm, how can I explain this better?
Like if I saw a flyer for a Navajo powwow that is taking place in Maine, umm, i'll definitely raise an eyebrow, lol. Not to say that it's a total impossibility, lol but it would be a bit suspect to me.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #18
*~the REAL me~*

Yeah I agree....but I wasn't commenting on the PW one way or the other...or on if it's METIS or not...or valid or not. But yeah, It would seem wierd, now that I think about it, in light of what you have written tho.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 AM   #19
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Whome

Sorry, but I wasn't there so i can't comment on the dance at all...but if it is the people that Mato described then I have no doubts it was 'interesting' to say the least.

As for Metis being in the area...there may be some real ones, but I sure got my doubts about the folks that have claimed to be Metis to me personally around here. Most wouldn't know an NDN if they got smacked in the face by one and have a serious thang for the HOLLYWOOD NDN stereotype to the point that they try to look and talk in that manner, and I mean the "really" bad 1950's NDN portrayal too.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #20
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
Last I knew it was headed by a guy named Bill Satori. Odd bird that claims to be a great medicine man.

*L Me and Quick Silver should go up there with our Indian Police T-Shirts and challenge this guy to a "Medicine man contest."

The loser has to leave town *L

I'll bring the Tylenol and Aspirin and Quicksilver, you bring the No Doze and Nyquil?
Closed Thread