Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Metis PW in Indianapolis -all hobbyists/wannabes Metis PW in Indianapolis -all hobbyists/wannabes

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #61
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Huronndn is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Horace Goodhue or what ever his name is----does not look anything like the late Frank Bush of Bradley Michigan. Uncle Frank was a highly respected elder and was very proud of his people.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #62
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Metis by definition is a person of Scottish or french canadian and indian blood...theres alot of hobbist groups in the ohio/pa/WV area that refer to themselves as metis,perhaps as a smoke screen ..there are many hobbist powwows in ohio,a few real ones but for the most part alot of dyed hair and fake eagle feathers

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #63
Arthur

arthurmedicineeagle is a jewel in the rough
I love it when someone seeks out to be an authority about something and then try and criticize it like they know everything there is to know. My heart is sad of your total ignorance and disrespect for other people and their beliefs.Apparently you are so much more gifted from Creator to be attacking other people/HUMAN BEINGS. As for a Vulture It was not a vulture it was a Buzzard and there is a great difference.Three birds were there at the circle, An American Bald Eagle, A Red Tailed Hawk and the Black Eagle. If you had any knowledge at all you would have been taught to reapect other tribal beliefs and their ways. You do not know anything about the Pow Wow except what you percieved due to your arrogance of self righteousness. When you come to our next one Look me up I am Arthur and would be glad to meet you I enjoy re education those who fail to understand. Now going back to the Black Eagle, There is a story in our legends about the Black Eagle. He was one of the most beautiful birds that creator made but because of his arrogance and ego Creator left him with the beautiful feathers but made his face ugly so every time he drinks he remembers how he used to look and what he had done to the other birds because of his selfish attitude. Maybe you should go find the story and sit down and read it. I am a very firm believer of what goes around comes around. As for wannabees It sound to me like those non indians who came to our gathering were far more Indian than your whitewashed gossiping way.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #64
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurmedicineeagle
I love it when someone seeks out to be an authority about something and then try and criticize it like they know everything there is to know. My heart is sad of your total ignorance and disrespect for other people and their beliefs.Apparently you are so much more gifted from Creator to be attacking other people/HUMAN BEINGS. As for a Vulture It was not a vulture it was a Buzzard and there is a great difference.Three birds were there at the circle, An American Bald Eagle, A Red Tailed Hawk and the Black Eagle. If you had any knowledge at all you would have been taught to reapect other tribal beliefs and their ways. You do not know anything about the Pow Wow except what you percieved due to your arrogance of self righteousness. When you come to our next one Look me up I am Arthur and would be glad to meet you I enjoy re education those who fail to understand. Now going back to the Black Eagle, There is a story in our legends about the Black Eagle. He was one of the most beautiful birds that creator made but because of his arrogance and ego Creator left him with the beautiful feathers but made his face ugly so every time he drinks he remembers how he used to look and what he had done to the other birds because of his selfish attitude. Maybe you should go find the story and sit down and read it. I am a very firm believer of what goes around comes around. As for wannabees It sound to me like those non indians who came to our gathering were far more Indian than your whitewashed gossiping way.
who were you addressing?

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #65
Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
who were you addressing?
I think it was to that quicksilver wade and who ever was making jest of the Gathering I was in charge of.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:34 PM   #66
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huronndn
Horace Goodhue or what ever his name is----does not look anything like the late Frank Bush of Bradley Michigan. Uncle Frank was a highly respected elder and was very proud of his people.
There was a pic of Frank put up earlier on the thread. Before that other picture.

Frank looked nothing like that Horace guy.

I have nothing to add to this metis in Indy business.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:15 AM   #67
Pow Wow Visitor

moochwah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
I thought Metis were mixed Native with Canadian French?
I just have to make a comment on whites claiming to be part Indian or Metis. I think authentic Metis would be offended to have American wannabees claim their heritage. Metis are indigenous to northern Canada. They trace their ancestry to the Canadian fur trade. The white fur traders took Indian women as temporary wives till they could get back to Europe. The result of these unions are today's Metis. The original Metis settled all the way from northern BC to Quebec. Today, I'm sure individuals/families have migrated to the US but they would be following their own cultural ways if they were real Metis. In Canada, Metis live in settlements which are similar to reservations. To be legally recognized as Metis, a person has to document at least 5 generations of Metis ancestors or through "land scrip" which are Metis land entitlements in the 1800's. Metis have their own distinct culture, traditions, customs, and even language which is Michif. They have their own celebrations and dress which are very different from Indian tribes. They do not have powwows but celebrate through fiddling, jigging, and reels. At aboriginal gatherings, Metis are recognized through their unique woven sashes. These people are proud of their history and do not pass themselves off as Indian. My reserve is alongside one of their historical locations and I grew up aware of the above. Although we were neighbors, the Indians followed our culture and the Metis followed theirs. When I attended a function a couple weeks ago, First Nations displayed their traditional dancing and the Metis danced theirs - both are distinct and different from each other. The American wannabees who pass yourselves off as Metis, learn from the original Metis and you will find out powwowing is not their way.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:19 AM   #68
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochwah
I just have to make a comment on whites claiming to be part Indian or Metis. I think authentic Metis would be offended to have American wannabees claim their heritage. Metis are indigenous to northern Canada. They trace their ancestry to the Canadian fur trade. The white fur traders took Indian women as temporary wives till they could get back to Europe. The result of these unions are today's Metis. The original Metis settled all the way from northern BC to Quebec. Today, I'm sure individuals/families have migrated to the US but they would be following their own cultural ways if they were real Metis. In Canada, Metis live in settlements which are similar to reservations. To be legally recognized as Metis, a person has to document at least 5 generations of Metis ancestors or through "land scrip" which are Metis land entitlements in the 1800's. Metis have their own distinct culture, traditions, customs, and even language which is Michif. They have their own celebrations and dress which are very different from Indian tribes. They do not have powwows but celebrate through fiddling, jigging, and reels. At aboriginal gatherings, Metis are recognized through their unique woven sashes. These people are proud of their history and do not pass themselves off as Indian. My reserve is alongside one of their historical locations and I grew up aware of the above. Although we were neighbors, the Indians followed our culture and the Metis followed theirs. When I attended a function a couple weeks ago, First Nations displayed their traditional dancing and the Metis danced theirs - both are distinct and different from each other. The American wannabees who pass yourselves off as Metis, learn from the original Metis and you will find out powwowing is not their way.
thank you...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 02-21-2006, 03:34 AM   #69
Tipi Chiefy

TiPi CrEePeR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince_j
This small PW was solely a hobbyist PW. I don't think it should've been called a PW. More like dress-up and pretend you're a noble native.

I missed the Grand Entry, but the only native vendor (out of 20+) there told me that the wannabes brought in a buzzard. What I did see was groups of 9-12 dancers making several circles in the dance area, doing solo dances in the middle of these circles, then touching or pointing to another person to solo. The 3 groups that sang, if you want to call it that, were again wannabes with maybe a token native involved.

This was a total disgrace and encourage you to not waste your time there.

Quote:
Dude. Black eagle my a$$. It's a flarken buzzard. It's a scavenger the eagle is a predator. But then what the hell do I know, for all I know you ran a fantastic event.

The original TiPi CrEePeR...

Last edited by TiPi CrEePeR; 02-26-2006 at 02:20 PM..
Old 02-21-2006, 07:22 AM   #70
Arthur

Tomatoe, Tomatae, Tomata, Tomater

Please have a wonderful day and May Creator bless you............................................... ..............................

Art is something that is placed on a wall of a museum or statues and such. I am Arthur Please respect that in the future.

Last edited by arthurmedicineeagle; 02-21-2006 at 10:26 AM..
Old 02-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #71
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Bless you too Art.

Do you jig?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #72
Tipi Chiefy

TiPi CrEePeR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Please have a wonderful day and May Creator bless you............................................... ..............................

Art is something that is placed on a wall of a museum or statues and such. I am Arthur Please respect that in the future.
Well how stoopid can I be. I thought it was tomato.

The original TiPi CrEePeR...
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #73
Absolute Low Life

ajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,005.64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesfar
Bill Satori WAS being instructed in the ways of the Medewin Society by an Elder in Fort Wayne , Indiana, until that Elder crossed over! He is not officialy recognized by the Medewin in any of the surounding states. But it seems to me that they don't even recognize each other for that matter.
The Mide societies were (and are) for the most part no one's business. That's one way to keep the whiteman from usurping our ways.

Society in Idiana? Doubtful.

Old 02-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #74
Arthur

Midewewin Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajibik
The Mide societies were (and are) for the most part no one's business. That's one way to keep the whiteman from usurping our ways.

Society in Indiana? Doubtful.
.................................................. .............................
Midewewin Society is not one particular location. Many from the North have moved East, South, and West and spread across this great land. They only come together at various times of the year to pray and do ceremonies. The waterdrum is very instrumental in the ceremonies. I agree it is not something one brags about just as it is not something a person walks around using to seek any kind of recognition. Thanks for the input Ajibik

Arthur
Old 02-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #75
Oldfart

I have a question, not a comment.

Since this is billed as a Metis event, what Metis culturally based activities will be going on? Just asking. Art? Anyone?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #76
Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
I have a question, not a comment.

Since this is billed as a Metis event, what Metis culturally based activities will be going on? Just asking. Art? Anyone?
Apparently you find enjoyment in disrespecting others in your rhetoric. I refuse to answer your question until you apologize and address me by my name instead of being a smart alec..
Old 02-26-2006, 11:02 PM   #77
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajibik

Society in Idiana? Doubtful.
Thanks for the info.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:23 AM   #78
Oldfart

Quote:
Apparently you find enjoyment in disrespecting others in your rhetoric. I refuse to answer your question until you apologize and address me by my name instead of being a smart alec..
Please, Mr arturmedicineeagle, address me as Kiwehnzii. My name is not alec. Also as your post suggests, I am really not that smart. As a matter of fact, I am not familiar with the term rhetoric. Could you please elaborate?

Now will you answer the question about Metis - based cultural events?

Thank you Mr. arturmedicineeagle.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #79
REZIN RIDE

Items Elephant
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
stillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond reputestillrezin has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 3rd tipi on the left just past the broken down car and the pack of rez dogs chasing horse's
Credits: 200.00
Savings: 1.00
ok now that i'm caught up on this thread......whats your answer ARTHUR.....................
Old 03-15-2006, 11:00 AM   #80
Oldfart

I just about give up on Mr Arthurmedicineeagle answering my question. I imagine any Metis from Canada would be disappointed if they went and there were no Metis culture present.

Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread