Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees! MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
origstyle_singer is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Just had to post again...

I was wondering where the heck "The Roller Coaster Dance" came from.

I looked at my bro's and said "What the heck is that?!" They all shrugged their shoulders and one of them said "I don't know but I hope they don't ask us to sing".

I have to agree also that the dancer's were CHEZZY! A few of them must have found the "Tandy Leather Outlet" and "Minnetonka Moccasin Outlet" just before the pow-wow.

Well one thing I will say is that it was good to hear all the drums play HO-WAH...this quote pretty much tells you what kind of pow-wow it was.

OK, I'm done.....
Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #22
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
Oh well I can't say anyhting about some of them women with the lady clairol black dye their hair, 'cause I was rockin' some neon red with black roots on saturday. Fortunately I had good enough sense to put on a head scarf before my mom or aunts saw me.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #23
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovlie1
As far as going back next I dont think so. My good friend from SD will be hosting a comp powwow around that same time next year not to far from MTSU. I believe he said 1000 for all first places. So thats probally where I will be not for the money but just to support him for his first annual powwow.
Ooh! Tell me where and I'll be there! I'm done with the MTSU chit. only reason I went is because it was my little brother's first day singing on a drum, and I went to support him.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #24
Junior Dancer

lovlie1 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
Ooh! Tell me where and I'll be there! I'm done with the MTSU chit. only reason I went is because it was my little brother's first day singing on a drum, and I went to support him.

I need to talk to him some more cause he just called and left a message on phone talking briefly about it. But as soon as I find out I will post it.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #25
Tiny Tot Dancer

Mazola is a name known to all
MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees!

All I can say to that is meh. It wasn't *really* better.

I know the committee prolly reads this,so let me make a few suggestions:
1. Get Scott some help. He's too busy to keep the arena going. Really,he is. He could also use a talk with someone to help him brush up on his M.C. skillz. There are a few areas where he is seriously lacking. (Sorry,Scott. I lurve you anyways :D)

2. If you're going to advertise all drums as being welcomed,then welcome them. Don't make people feel like criminals for wanting to join in on the fun. And certainly don't act like you don't know the group that hosted for you for TWO YEARS. Just rude. Also,maybe have only invited drums. It seems silly to say all drums are welcome when there obviously is a problem with there being enough room. Also,when there are too many drums,each individual drum doesn't get play very much.

3. The contests are fun and all,but they are taking up time. It slows the pow wow down. If you're going to do contests,do spread them out!

That being said,MTSU is a GREAT pow wow. They are always so good to their staff,drums,and dancers. I think the event can only improve with time if steps are taken to make things run more smoothly.

To the person complaining about the crazy outfits,honey those are everywhere. If YOU had a problem with it,you could either a)point it out to the A.D. or b)talk to the person yourself and let them know it's just WRONG. LOL! Don't make it sound like the whole pow wow was rank just because some wannabe from Tennessee decided to show off her Minnetonka specials. ;) Seriously,for every one jacked up dancer at MTSU,there was at least 25 good ones to take up the slack.:D

And I have to say I agree with what the hell is roller coaster dance,or for that matter,a broom dance. Where the hell did that come from,anywayz? :p
Mazola is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
Divine Scientific Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazola
To the person complaining about the crazy outfits,honey those are everywhere. If YOU had a problem with it,you could either a)point it out to the A.D. or b)talk to the person yourself and let them know it's just WRONG. LOL! Don't make it sound like the whole pow wow was rank just because some wannabe from Tennessee decided to show off her Minnetonka specials. ;) Seriously,for every one jacked up dancer at MTSU,there was at least 25 good ones to take up the slack.:D
I think the jacked to real ratio was a hell of a lot lower than that I'd say about two good to every one jacked up. And I do say sh*t to the wannabees. I do it all the time. But those people don't like it when a real person tells them what and they like to make big scenes, and I wasn't into causing drama that day. I was just there to see sum family and to support my little bro on his first singing with a drum. But the AD and the staff did have the power to toss some of the made-in-china people right the heck out, and they didn't.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #27
ndnlady1306

ndnlady1306 is a jewel in the rough
I didn't attend the MTSU pow-wow because I had to go to school and my son was playing in a basketball tournament. my husband went with a drum group and they came home with a first place trophy. they enjoyed the weekend. Oh! by the way the drum name is Birdtown Crossing. do any of you who attended the pow-wow remeber them? what did you guys think of them? let me know if they really rocked the place.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #28
Powwow Chair Carrier

uw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond reputeuw_n8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Oregon State University for School, Yakama Rez is home
Credits: 958.69
Quote:
Originally Posted by origstyle_singer

I looked at my bro's and said "What the heck is that?!" They all shrugged their shoulders and one of them said "I don't know but I hope they don't ask us to sing".
DANG!! ...that's the best one-liner i've heard in a long time.... had me laughing...scaring my co-workers.

What did the Roller Coaster Dance look like?

My Website
uw_n8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

lakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond reputelakota_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 390.00
Thumbs up MTSU pow wow

Ok, sorry, I know I am a little slow on the ball and everything. Thanks for the compliments on the food. My dad says your welcome. He ran the "kitchen" that made all the food for dancers and vendors. He loves doing it. Said he only wished he had set up a little time for himself to dance or atleast watch for a bit. I don't think it was all that bad. I had a blast! But then again I was busy either cooking, serving, or helping my uncle in his booth. He was the guy throwing tomahawks. He loves doing it. Me too! Anyways, I did get away for a veteran's song or two between the 2 days. I did see the Pocahontas wanna be. Shameful. Oh well. It's over now. Hope everybody had atleast a little bit of a good time. Have a wonderful day!!!
lakota_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

yes birdtown crossing did rock as allways and their a nice bunch of guys we get to drum around them at times and they are allways prepared and rock sorry i took so long to answer
Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #31
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
Question Anybody goin back to MTSU this year?

I am just wondering: is anybody goin back to MTSU this year? Why or why not? Is it the money? Is it the long hours wasted on Sunday after all the vendors and the public are gone, waiting for the results...(of a "traditional" powwow)? Or... is it the spectacle to see what people will be wearing this time? ...or maybe to hear all the wonderful drums (or at least a couple of them)? Me, I am goin for allll those reasons. I think I'll bring my camera......and my tape recorder!
stomp is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #32
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Savings: 1.00
ill be going this year. my hubbys friend is the arena director so we r hoppin in for the ride and chicken dance and fancy special.

so1 has to show those guys to chicken dance 4 real...

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #33
Tiny Tot Dancer

walmart ndn is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 218.75
This powwow sounds kind of cheezy. But the singing contest money is pretty good.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #34
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
Cheesy is right. That's why I'll take pictures of the outfits so you can see them, and tape the drums that sing on beat so my friends can listen to them. And maybe I'll write down all their strange rules or comments. Did you notice the drum rules?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #35
Tiny Tot Dancer

walmart ndn is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 218.75
Yeah, I checked out their website last nite. Some crazy stuff. We were talking about going, but I dont know now.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #36
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
shoot we're goin to sing. it should be pretty good with medicine dog, medicine tail, badwater and every1 else. the drum comp n chicken should be really good.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:22 PM   #37
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Savings: 1.00
Aww...it's not as bad as you guys say it is. We'll be there all decked out.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:46 AM   #38
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Medicene Dog Will Be There
Old 03-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #39
Pow Wow Visitor

leadmaster3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
MTSU Powwow - Not any different than past years

I would have to strongly disagree with your opinion of MTSU this year! As with every year over the past five that I have been a participant I am deeply disappointed that the powwow committee continues to use Scott Crisp year after year. This MC is the biggest blow hard there is on the southern powwow circuit. He likes to hear himself talk that's for sure! He keeps the dancers and drums waiting and waiting with no itenerary or schedule at all. He constantly forgets his place and confuses the participants every year! We spend more time sitting than anything else. He always plays favorites with his personal drum friends and this years first drum competition was a joke! Rules were published on the mtsu website for a couple of months prior to the powwow with a registration cutoff time of Saturday at 10 am. What do you think happened? The committee allowed at least five drums to register and set up after the predesignated cutoff time. The drum competition rules meant nothing and I knew going in who would place in each category. Sure enough Scotts favorite drum took first as was expected. Just like in years past the most songs were given to his favorite drum as well. There was not supposed to be a named host drum but these guys held the spot all weekend. No regular rotation of songs for any of the the drums despite the fact that all eight drums paid equally to compete. There is way too much favortism at this powwow and Scott Crisp needs to be replaced. He has worn this powwow out! Way too much time waisted on stupid trivial things at this powwow too. Very badly organized from an MC standpoint. Drums and dancers don't waist yout time on this event! It's not worth the drive. They need to hire a new MC big time! This could be an awesome powwow with the right mc.

Myself along with alot of others from the region have no intention of ever going back unless Scott Crisp in replaced!

Tohi
leadmaster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #40
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
ummm okay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmaster3000
He always plays favorites with his personal drum friends and this years first drum competition was a joke! Rules were published on the mtsu website for a couple of months prior to the powwow with a registration cutoff time of Saturday at 10 am. What do you think happened? The committee allowed at least five drums to register and set up after the predesignated cutoff time. The drum competition rules meant nothing and I knew going in who would place in each category. Sure enough Scotts favorite drum took first as was expected. Just like in years past the most songs were given to his favorite drum as well. There was not supposed to be a named host drum but these guys held the spot all weekend.
I thought everybody placed the way they should have. why dont you go ahead and name who you sing with and what drums you are bad mouthing while youre at it that way it dont look like ur hiding who ya are.

Last edited by 1badazzndn; 03-06-2006 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: didnt finish
1badazzndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links