Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees! MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #41
Flat E!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badazzndn
I thought everybody placed the way they should have. why dont you go ahead and name who you sing with and what drums you are bad mouthing while youre at it that way it dont look like ur hiding who ya are.

hey cuzzint!

i totally agree with u... the drums placed the way they should have. hes probably just salty cuz he didnt place as high as he wanted to.

anyways i for one had a good time despite the fact that there was no set schedule and there was a lot of down time. and they do specials all backwards. with a little help from the area director and knowledgable staff they can sure turn it around. when i was head lady on friday i pointed out to scott a few things that were incorrect

on to sum other stuff... there was alot of talk from guy online how they were gonna come shikken it up... wat happened guys??? anyways whoever has the winners from the specials post um up...

louie has sum stuff to say soill let him get on next :)

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #42
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
You didn't tell us that you were head lady Friday! But anyways...

It was ok this year. I know alot of people said that it didn't have the same vibe as it has had in the past. And Emmy, you should've won that switch dance special. :)
Old 03-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #43
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFS
You didn't tell us that you were head lady Friday! But anyways...

It was ok this year. I know alot of people said that it didn't have the same vibe as it has had in the past. And Emmy, you should've won that switch dance special. :)
i only filled in...lol no biggy...i got it by default i dont think any1 else knew what to do. lol...

i think i shoulda won too..i shoulda gotten in the chicken dance special...lol.

did ur cuzzin have her baby sunday? i tol du she should bneen dancin it would come right on out

~Flat Beat~
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #44
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
Savings: 0.00
I think Scott didn't do so badly. I think the committee had certain things planned for certain days (or maybe they didn't have anything planned, no wait, maybe it's that pow wow promoter...do they PAY her?).

The way the drums were set up was better. There was plenty of water.

Yes, Scott needs to put his foot down and be a little more adamant about a GOOD schedule and stickin to it. At least he tried to get them to produce results quicker.

I wish someone would print out all the talk about Sunday at powwows from here and let that pow wow promoter read it.

I got home at 4 AM, and I bet a lot of other people drove all night, too. Not a safe thing to do. It's our life and we love it...just wish, well everybody knows.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #45
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
First off, I did have a good time at this pow wow. The only real problems I saw were with the scheduling. Like most, I got home late and we left the pow wow early (6:30pm) because my daughter had head start the next day. When we left they had just called for a Potato Dance and a Switch Dance. Not exactly top priorities there...

In my opinion, they should have had the final round of drum competition early on Sunday's session and then announced all the winners and then dismiss those drums who had to travel long distances. There were a couple of drums there from Tennessee who I'm sure would have stayed to sing the rest of the dance.

The really aggravating thing was when a category was called for and then they'd get bumped for other things. Happened on Sunday to the hoop dancers who actually competed a full hour after they were called. Most of them stood at the entrace to the arena for 15-20 minutes before getting tired of standing there and went back to their seats. This happened a few times on Saturday as well. If you call a category, have that category.

Keep things moving. Keep things moving. Keep things moving. Too much dead time. With as many drums as were there, there's absolutely no excuse not to zip through your program. There should be no dead air.

I like Scott Crisp as an MC and especially as a person...he's one heck of a nice guy and has a really nice MC voice. I don't know if he was working within a flawed system or program or what, but I'm sure that with a little help in programming, this dance can be very good.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #46
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy
i only filled in...lol no biggy...i got it by default i dont think any1 else knew what to do. lol...

i think i shoulda won too..i shoulda gotten in the chicken dance special...lol.

did ur cuzzin have her baby sunday? i tol du she should bneen dancin it would come right on out
LOL

I believe she went into the hospital last night. I haven't heard anything more than that yet...
Old 03-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #47
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
Angry

I Would Like To Add Scott Had Nothing To Do With The Contest As Northern Drums Were The Judges For Southern And Visa Versa Also When A Drum Is Requested To Do A Speacial Again It's Not Scott If Your A Drummer You Should Know This
Old 03-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #48
Pow Wow Committee

TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 307.00
MTSU Powwow.... 4th Time around....

I was there as well, making this my 4th time there doing a tipi display, straight dancing and gourd dancing this time around.

Georgia Dennis, the host who puts it on, i don't believe is paid. She's on staff at MTSU and this powwow, to my understanding, is used as a means to raise some scholarship funds for the ndn college kids there. And it's my understanding, most of her "powwow staff" are the college kids and adults at MTSU, with some help from outsiders.

Scott Crisp, as the MC, did have some help from, i think it was Ron Columbe (sp) during at least one of the Gourd Dances on Saturday. Scott does seem to be overwhelmed at times, this powwow has really grown. It does seem he needs help keeping the drum rotation going and keeping the powwow moving along. (Scott, do be careful of women at Long John Silver's bearing trays of fish though... then again, who would have thought cole slaw makes long hair so shiney).

And if there was only one AD, there needs to be two, imo of course.

With more and more competitions at this powow, imo, they need to cut back on the "cutesy" dances, ie: roller coaster, potato, broom, etc.
They don't need these dances to fill up the time, there's enough going on. The just needs to be a schedule for the powwow and to stick as close to it as possible, with better communication for all people, so everyone knows what's going on.

By the 3rd Gourd Dance on Sunday, they did understand that "4 sets of Gourd Songs", means 4 songs in each set, for a total of 16 songs within those 4 sets. Hopefully they will have gourd dancing again next year and there will be more than just the 3 to 6 gourd dancers out there. (i can't complain about just the 3 to 6 gourd dancers there, since back a few years ago, at a gourd dance in Cherokee NC, at, i want to say their July 4th powwow, they had only 4 gourd dancers. And that was with Cozad singing the songs).

The set up for the vendors was better this year, with all the vendors back in one of the two rooms. From friends, who are also vendors, they liked being in the back as well because they could talk with the customers and not have to try to shout over the MC, drums, bells, etc.
The vendors who are my friends said they "did good to great" there.

The dance arena was a LOT bigger this year, which was great. It was outlined in hay bales, which is ok. I've seen some dance arena's in the S.E. with not as many hay bales, but more 4 foot high stakes with cord/rope going around the arena.
The wood chips on the floor of the arena is very much needed in there. The wood chips keep the dust down in the arena. Without the wood chips, the dancers would have ended up looking like the white tipi's in the back room, a thin layer of Tennessee Red dust all over them.

Regarding some of the dancers in their "special" outfits, since this is an "intertribal" powwow, you get to see The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
I was wondering about several of the dancers who would dance counter-clockwise, against the crowd and weaving in and among all the other dancers. Kind of interrupted things. But then again, i wasn't the AD and it wasn't my call.
People do tend to remember the bad things and not all the good dancers out there in great standard powwow clothing.

Some of the drums were great, some weren't and the others fell in between, which is the norm. Some rocked and others need to improve.

They do need to try to wrap things up as close to the closing time of 5 pm on Sunday as possible.
I was able to leave out of there around 7ish EST and got home about 12:30 AM, to bed by 2 AM and wasn't worth much of anything at work on Monday. But that's part of doing powwows.

So now i'm looking for a few good days to set up the tipi and liner, hose them off to get that darn red dust off of them. Maybe this weekend since they're calling for highs in the 70's and 80's in East Tenn. which is good since apparently i caught a cold while at MTSU and am now fighting it, but that too shall pass.

I'll be back next year.

Tim n'Motown

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #49
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the powwow was pretty good myself. If it wasnt for the scheduling and the down time, it would have been great. But this weekend i saw how much potential this powwow has. I hope the committee gets some constructive critisicm from these threads. the mc did a good job, and the problems with the powwow dragging werent his fault. i believe that once the ads, mc, coordindators, judges, n committee get on the same page, this powwow will go a lot smoother.
1badazzndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #50
Flat E!

dancing backwards...

u know its one thing for people to dress up and play indian on the weekend but when they do things that they dont understand or know about really irks my nerves.
this weekend a few boys were dancing backwards in the arena. the northern ad pulled them aside and asked them who gave them the right. apparently one gave a good answer but the others did not. he told them that he was not just getting on them but was trying to teach them also. those kids went back to their parents and told them that he accosted them, and of course in the way white people do, they tries ot belittle him. which there was no reason to. he was trying to teach the boys why they couldnt do something. anyways in all the hooplah i bet the parents still dont know what their kids were doing wrong.

~Flat Beat~
Old 03-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #51
CROW BEAR

danbear is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 150.00
ur probably right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy
u know its one thing for people to dress up and play indian on the weekend but when they do things that they dont understand or know about really irks my nerves.
this weekend a few boys were dancing backwards in the arena. the northern ad pulled them aside and asked them who gave them the right. apparently one gave a good answer but the others did not. he told them that he was not just getting on them but was trying to teach them also. those kids went back to their parents and told them that he accosted them, and of course in the way white people do, they tries ot belittle him. which there was no reason to. he was trying to teach the boys why they couldnt do something. anyways in all the hooplah i bet the parents still dont know what their kids were doing wrong.
your probably right, as usual down here there are alot of "dressup" indians, i believe there were a few faces painted that should not have been, jstmyopinion, amongst other things...the main thing that i saw that didn't set well with me this weekend was that i saw a grass dancer one of which was dancin backwards, almost danced over a grandmother in a wheel chair as the vets were bein danced out and he cut her off, he should have been watchin where he was goin and let the grandmother go first!!!
danbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #52
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00

Last edited by suthernwaterbird; 03-07-2006 at 06:44 PM..
suthernwaterbird is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #53
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, Don't you think if the MC was biast torwards the Northern Drums, He would have picked Birdtown Crossing first? After all, it's not like he sings with the group. As far as the results go, I think everyone placed where they were supposed to. Some of us (BTC) lost our voice on sunday, so we got 4th. Awohali, Medicine Tail and Straight Style jammed out, and they got what they deserved. I think the other drums name was RedHawk ?? they weren't too bad. But I think the contest resuts were very non-biast. I do know I'll be back next year. I think Scott needs to re-up on some more jokes, but all things considered he did a pretty good job. He can be smooth at times and others he can be uncoordinated. He's a nice guy, and he dosen't deserve to be bashed on the internet like this. You are what we call a "hater", so go tha hell on somewhere. Just mad cuz your group didn't place. Btw who was your group?

Last edited by suthernwaterbird; 03-07-2006 at 06:41 PM..
suthernwaterbird is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #54
nobody

Quote:
By the 3rd Gourd Dance on Sunday, they did understand that "4 sets of Gourd Songs", means 4 songs in each set, for a total of 16 songs within those 4 sets.
1 thing to point out is that the singers had nothing to do with the number of songs, they were just doing what they were told.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #55
Pow Wow Visitor

stampwitch57 is an unknown quantity at this point
...georgia is not paid and makes no money for herself from the festival...proceeds from the pow wow go toward scholarships...the volunteer "staff" has grown from year to year to include students, professors, family, friends and anyone else who has the time and inclination to spend some days working hard to put together an event that grows each year...suggestions and constructive criticism are great and are welcomed and taken into sincere consideration...the ultimate goal is to improve each year and make the mtsu festival bigger and better !!!!!...
stampwitch57 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #56
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
ok. Good background info. Helps us understand the dynamics. Considering how the drum judging was done last year, ya'll have grown LEAPS and BOUNDS! It was reassuring to see different drum judges everytime who were singers! Good job on that one! Maybe the pow wow committee could go visit a couple pow wows, or have someone who really knows pow wow protocol come visit a meeting to give some input. Ok. I'm done.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #57
Pow Wow Visitor

stampwitch57 is an unknown quantity at this point
...visited gathering of nations last year and may return this year...have been to some local pow wows...considering a road trip to cherokee, nc, pow wows this spring or summer...any suggestions on where to go and what to see... i am one of the volunteers...
stampwitch57 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #58
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
1 thing to point out is that the singers had nothing to do with the number of songs, they were just doing what they were told.

Yeah that was pretty crazy....i have never seen a flute player perform in the middle of a gourd session! lol
1badazzndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #59
Pow Wow Committee

TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 307.00
Other possible powwows....

It's sad there's not that many good powwows in Tennessee, but imo, MTSU is one of the better ones.

Other good ones in Tennessee, imo of course, is the Don Yahola Memorial Powwow that's held in the Fall. It's a competition powwow and usually draws good dancers and drums.

Consider going to the Tullahoma Powwow in Nov.
Some good festivals in Tennessee are the Sycamore Shoals Festival in June and Trade Festival in June as well. They usually have good drums there and a lot of dancers from Cherokee who come in and dance.

If you can make it to Cherokee NC, they're having a Memorial Day powwow this year, plus July 4th, and i believe they have one on Labor Day.

Tim n'Motown

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampwitch57
...visited gathering of nations last year and may return this year...have been to some local pow wows...considering a road trip to cherokee, nc, pow wows this spring or summer...any suggestions on where to go and what to see... i am one of the volunteers...

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #60
Tiny Tot Dancer

old bull is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

One Final Note As A Drummer Who 2 Yrs. Ago Had Triple Bypass Surgery I Think We All Lose Sight Of Why We Drum And Dance Or Vend Our People As A Whole Get To Mingle See Others Ways And Enjoy Ourselfs As For Me I Thank The Creator For Allowing Me To See These Young People And Still Do What I Love Which Is Drumming So A Big Thanks To The Arena Directors,mc,headman,andhead Lady And Mtsu For Putting Up With Our People And Our Diffrent Ways And If You Have Bad Feelings I Am Sorry For You Because As Long As The Creator Allows It I Will Be Drumming And Singing And Most Of All A Big Thanks To Georgia Dennis For Putting Up With Us