Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees! MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 10:22 AM   #61
nobody

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badazzndn
Yeah that was pretty crazy....i have never seen a flute player perform in the middle of a gourd session! lol
"cut his azz off!" lol.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #62
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I have to agree with suthernwaterbird that the drum contest was fair. It was exactly how I would have scored it. What's the beef? It didn't seem rigged at all to me.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #63
CROW BEAR

danbear is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 150.00
leadmaster3000 "Myself along with alot of others from the region have no intention of ever going back unless Scott Crisp in replaced!"

i think you need to get your panties out of a wad, Scott is a great guy and does the best he can,

Last edited by danbear; 03-08-2006 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: correction
danbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #64
Sober Native Warrior

Mukwa Noodin is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 858.37
Competition soiled Pow Wow....

Unfortunatly, I believe the competition soiled the pow wow. A very respected elder, who is no longer with us, once told me that at any competition there will be unfairness and bias. This pow wow proved that to me. Much of what leadmaster3000 expressed, I agree with. I, most of all, agree with what old bull said about losing sight of why we drum and dance. It is not for self glory, or to see who is the best dressed, or especially making money. The money is good as far as it goes, but it dosent feed my spirit the way drumming and dancing does. I was disappointed, at first, of the southern results, but you know what, seeing those dancers honoring our drum and our drum honoring them means more to me than all the 1st places and money in the world. That, my friends, is what it is all about. Creator gave us a gift, and if we abuse it, we will lose it. With great power, comes great responsibility. It is our responsibility to honor anyone who is keeping our culture going, no matter how they are dressed, which way they dance, and if their big heads allow them to win a competition. However it went doesnt matter. What matters is what are you going to do about it? You know right from wrong, or you should. If you dont, your EGO has you lost. I am done.

Last edited by Mukwa Noodin; 03-08-2006 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Hit the wrong button.
Mukwa Noodin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #65
SNAGNOMETRY 101

1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute1badazzndn has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Mukwa Noodin]I was disappointed, at first, of the southern resultsQUOTE]

you shouldnt be dissappointed about that....it was fair. 1st place drum, Medicine Dog didnt sing on-beat at all and sang typical classic southern style. the second place drum, horse thieves or whatever, messed up a few times, but still didnt sing on beat. The third place drum tanasi thunder sang on beat the whole weekend except when the kid started the songs. they should listen to how southern singers make the song and beat go together, instead of trying to fit one into the other. their vocals were good, but the beat makes it sound hokie. thats just my opinion and im nobody but thats something i noticed.
1badazzndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #66
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukwa Noodin
With great power, comes great responsibility.
Yea I saw that movie too. Spiderman I believe.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #67
singer

btcsinger is a glorious beacon of light
comp was bias?

all i have been hearing about this powwow was that scott had something to do with who won and he showed favoritism and all of that. i don't believe that for one minute. i didn't attend but i know for sure if it was "rigged" btc would have won. i mean scott is a friend of mine and has been singing with us. and i know the groups that were there and i agree with the placings.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #68
CROW BEAR

[QUOTE=1badazzndn]
Quote:
I was disappointed, at first, of the southern resultsQUOTE]

you shouldnt be dissappointed about that....it was fair. 1st place drum, Medicine Dog didnt sing on-beat at all and sang typical classic southern style. the second place drum, horse thieves or whatever, messed up a few times, but still didnt sing on beat. The third place drum tanasi thunder sang on beat the whole weekend except when the kid started the songs. they should listen to how southern singers make the song and beat go together, instead of trying to fit one into the other. their vocals were good, but the beat makes it sound hokie. thats just my opinion and im nobody but thats something i noticed.
we(horse thieves) didn't do to bad considering that we had a last minute mutt drum, we had singers from different drums cawz three of us were supposed to sing with badwater until they decided not to sing on saturday mornin so we pulled some guys that we know and borrowed a drum from keith little badger(THANK YOU SO MUCH BADGER) and three of us are used to singin together, not sure if the other guys have sang together before. we just decided who lead what songs and agreed to not used hand signals during comp songs. i think medicine dog is the best around these parts they are my favorite, maybe oneday we can get our stuff together and maybe beat them in a comp....lol who am i kiddin, we'll never beat them they're just [email protected]$$ we'll be back next year with alot of practice time in
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #69
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbear
we(horse thieves) didn't do to bad considering that we had a last minute mutt drum, we had singers from different drums cawz three of us were supposed to sing with badwater until they decided not to sing on saturday mornin so we pulled some guys that we know and borrowed a drum from keith little badger(THANK YOU SO MUCH BADGER) and three of us are used to singin together, not sure if the other guys have sang together before. we just decided who lead what songs and agreed to not used hand signals during comp songs. i think medicine dog is the best around these parts they are my favorite, maybe oneday we can get our stuff together and maybe beat them in a comp....lol who am i kiddin, we'll never beat them they're just [email protected]$$ we'll be back next year with alot of practice time in
dog you aint gon beat no1 with that attitude. Cmon you know they'll be there next year. So practice some. Learn some new songs, make some new songs. Come back, crew up and tak it.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #70
CROW BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
dog you aint gon beat no1 with that attitude. Cmon you know they'll be there next year. So practice some. Learn some new songs, make some new songs. Come back, crew up and tak it.
dude you know what i'm talkin bout tho, medicine dog are my role models man those kats can sing...oh yeah man i got a new grand entry song, i'm trying to make the lead a little longer, i got a jingleslide i think you might like too, what powwow you hittin next??
Old 03-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #71
Sober Native Warrior

No intentions of returning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
For one thing, "dawg", I ain't trying to be "no1". I am just singing for my people and my Creator. That is my medicine. Frankly, my "dawg", you know the rest. I could care less whos going to be there next year, especially Medicine Dawg. I am done with those EGO inflating competitions. That is all they are in my book. I know because I experienced that. You have no idea.
{Frankly my dear, Gone with the wind, for future reference}
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #72
Sober Native Warrior

Good observation brother....

1st place drum, Medicine Dog didnt sing on-beat at all and sang typical classic southern style. the second place drum, horse thieves or whatever, messed up a few times, but still didnt sing on beat. The third place drum tanasi thunder sang on beat the whole weekend except when the kid started the songs. they should listen to how southern singers make the song and beat go together, instead of trying to fit one into the other. their vocals were good, but the beat makes it sound hokie. thats just my opinion and im nobody but thats something i noticed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that very perceptive observation, brother. You are somebody. Your opinion counts and I honor your perception of the whole thing. I wonder if everybody else can be as honest as this. Hmmmmm......
Old 03-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #73
CROW BEAR

hmmm

Quote:
For one thing, "dawg", I ain't trying to be "no1". I am just singing for my people and my Creator. That is my medicine. Frankly, my "dawg", you know the rest. I could care less whos going to be there next year, especially Medicine Dawg. I am done with those EGO inflating competitions. That is all they are in my book. I know because I experienced that. You have no idea.

hmmm i think suthernwaterbird was talkin to me
Old 03-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #74
CROW BEAR

you know....

Quote:
1st place drum, Medicine Dog didnt sing on-beat at all and sang typical classic southern style. the second place drum, horse thieves or whatever, messed up a few times, but still didnt sing on beat. The third place drum tanasi thunder sang on beat the whole weekend except when the kid started the songs. they should listen to how southern singers make the song and beat go together, instead of trying to fit one into the other. their vocals were good, but the beat makes it sound hokie. thats just my opinion and im nobody but thats something i noticed.
Thanks for that very perceptive observation, brother. You are somebody. Your opinion counts and I honor your perception of the whole thing. I wonder if everybody else can be as honest as this. Hmmmmm......[/QUOTE]

you know i sing for my people and my creator as well but it seems to me that this was a competition powwow so if you sign up for the drum comp you are shootin for number 1 and most competitions(sports{football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, etc.},music{battle of the bands, american idol}) are about being the best and seeing what you bring to the table, if your goin to complain about the ego trippin powwows don't go!!! go to the non comp powwows, if you don't want the negativity that exist at a comp powwow stay away...my medicine milk and cookie's!!!!!!ayee
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #75
nobody

Quote:
Fogive me. I believe the discussion was limited to Danbear. I apologize for not clarifying previously.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #76
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 116,179.14
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmaster3000
I would have to strongly disagree with your opinion of MTSU this year! As with every year over the past five that I have been a participant I am deeply disappointed that the powwow committee continues to use Scott Crisp year after year. This MC is the biggest blow hard there is on the southern powwow circuit. He likes to hear himself talk that's for sure! He keeps the dancers and drums waiting and waiting with no itenerary or schedule at all. He constantly forgets his place and confuses the participants every year! We spend more time sitting than anything else. He always plays favorites with his personal drum friends and this years first drum competition was a joke! Rules were published on the mtsu website for a couple of months prior to the powwow with a registration cutoff time of Saturday at 10 am. What do you think happened? The committee allowed at least five drums to register and set up after the predesignated cutoff time. The drum competition rules meant nothing and I knew going in who would place in each category. Sure enough Scotts favorite drum took first as was expected. Just like in years past the most songs were given to his favorite drum as well. There was not supposed to be a named host drum but these guys held the spot all weekend. No regular rotation of songs for any of the the drums despite the fact that all eight drums paid equally to compete. There is way too much favortism at this powwow and Scott Crisp needs to be replaced. He has worn this powwow out! Way too much time waisted on stupid trivial things at this powwow too. Very badly organized from an MC standpoint. Drums and dancers don't waist yout time on this event! It's not worth the drive. They need to hire a new MC big time! This could be an awesome powwow with the right mc.

Myself along with alot of others from the region have no intention of ever going back unless Scott Crisp in replaced!

Tohi
Sounds like you don't need to be there...our any other powwow with your kind of attitude. YOU should stay home!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #77
Senior Dancer

powwow person has a reputation beyond repute
powwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond reputepowwow person has a reputation beyond repute
Ok i have to throw my 2 cents in, lol. This was my first time down this way for a powwow and being from the Dakotas what a culture shock it was! It amost took my breath away and not in a good way, lol. Everytime i turned around i was surprised that i would gasp and think "oh my god!". But it was no big thing to my family because they have been down that way before. My overall opinion is that it was better than i expected. Over alot earlier than other powwows on sunday, had decent drums, and they fed pretty good! LOL. Yeah we shared bracelets to get to the feed. LOL. And hey my sister won the fancy shawl special which was pretty cool. Congrats and love ya sis!
.......I Just Got Burgers!
powwow person is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 AM   #78
nobody

Dam, Dan you could have let him off easier...lol. But he's absolutley right. When it comes to competition, its natural intimidation, no matter what nation, culture etc. There is always gonna be an ego envolved, because competition is about being the best, and when you are the best there is a certain mindset your in, aka "the bighead". Like Dan said, you don't like it, stick to the "traditional" powwows.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:28 AM   #79
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
OFF beat GOOD

I know...someone at the pow wow mentioned that a couple drums had good vocals, but they were drumming on beat, so they didn't sound right. If they would just offer tobacco to an elder and ask in a good way, they might be told that they are not supposed to drum ON beat, they are supposed to drum OFF beat! and someone might sit down with them and help them learn to get it right. Maybe these posts will be read by someone who had no idea about this, and will encourage them to look into it, instead of continuing to do things the way they always have...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #80
Golden Age Powwow Dancer

Traditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy
i only filled in...lol no biggy...i got it by default i dont think any1 else knew what to do. lol...

i think i shoulda won too..i shoulda gotten in the chicken dance special...lol.

did ur cuzzin have her baby sunday? i tol du she should bneen dancin it would come right on out
I'm TJFS's Mom and I agree that you won that Chicken Switch dance hands down. You go girl!!

I was there last year and the jingle dress competition was fixed because only two of the the contestants could do the side step correctly, neither one was the winner. The winner stopped dancing before the drum stopped.

My niece had her baby Thursday afternoon.