Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees! MTSU Powwow was Better than EVER!! Who agrees!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #81
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
stampwitch57 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry

[QUOTE=powwow person) LOL. Yeah we shared bracelets to get to the feed. LOL.[/QUOTE]

...shame on you for sharing bracelets to "get the feed"...the pow wow loses money each year on "the feed" because people won't pay a lousy $4.00 for 4 or sometimes more meals...you can't eat anywhere for $1 for a full meal...the pow wow staff certainly don't "LOL" when they lose money that should go toward scholarships and end up having to put in money out of their own pockets to cover losses...i guess next year maybe we should make the bracelets tighter...mark them in some way...or maybe we should just cancel "the feed"...we've been told other pow wows don't take care of their dancers, drummers and vendors in this way...thanks for the heads up...

Last edited by stampwitch57; 03-10-2006 at 12:47 PM..
stampwitch57 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #82
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampwitch57
...shame on you for sharing bracelets to "get the feed"...the pow wow loses money each year on "the feed" because people won't pay a lousy $4.00 for 4 or sometimes more meals...you can't eat anywhere for $1 for a full meal...the pow wow staff certainly don't "LOL" when they lose money that should go toward scholarships and end up having to put in money out of their own pockets to cover losses...i guess next year maybe we should make the bracelets tighter...mark them in some way...or maybe we should just cancel "the feed"...we've been told other pow wow don't take care of their dancers, drummers and vendors in this way...thanks for the heads up...
You've been told other pow wows don't take care of dancers in this way? Maybe wannabe-fests...but real pow wows feed everyone. Pow wows in some parts of the country started as picnics. Feasts or feeds are held at pretty much every event in real Indian Country.

That said...don't come down on powwow person for trying to feed his family. If they shared bracelets, what's the big deal? My daughter and I got bracelets but didn't eat one meal there so there...you guys broke even on that one. Take the money you saved on us and put it towards the money you "lost" on powwow person's family...geez...talk about missing the overall picture.

You guys host a gathering and then get on here and gripe about a family coming from a long distance away who just wants to eat? Dang. Come on people...learn a little about these ways before you criticize. When you're a host, its your JOB AND RESPONSIBILITY to feed those who come to your gathering. Dangit...now you made me mad
Old 03-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #83
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
You've been told other pow wows don't take care of dancers in this way? Maybe wannabe-fests...but real pow wows feed everyone. Pow wows in some parts of the country started as picnics. Feasts or feeds are held at pretty much every event in real Indian Country.

That said...don't come down on powwow person for trying to feed his family. If they shared bracelets, what's the big deal? My daughter and I got bracelets but didn't eat one meal there so there...you guys broke even on that one. Take the money you saved on us and put it towards the money you "lost" on powwow person's family...geez...talk about missing the overall picture.

You guys host a gathering and then get on here and gripe about a family coming from a long distance away who just wants to eat? Dang. Come on people...learn a little about these ways before you criticize. When you're a host, its your JOB AND RESPONSIBILITY to feed those who come to your gathering. Dangit...now you made me mad
aho.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:02 PM   #84
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:

...do other pow wows feed for absolutely free...is there no registration for dancers and drummers...if not, then where do they get their money to feed all the people for free...we'd certainly like to tap into those resources, too...and no, we would never deny food to anyone with a true need who has traveled a long way and truly can't afford the registration fee...but to get on here and LOL about sharing bracelets when the writer obviously knew that only registered dancers and drummers received armbands????...maybe you should consider that attitude..."learn a little about these ways?"...so does that mean we should let everyone eat for free...is that the way???...clue me in...and then tell me how we should pay for it...by the way this is just my opinion and not that of the official pow wow director...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #85
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
...do other pow wows feed for absolutely free...is there no registration for dancers and drummers...if not, then where do they get their money to feed all the people for free...we'd certainly like to tap into those resources, too...and no, we would never deny food to anyone with a true need who has traveled a long way and truly can't afford the registration fee...but to get on here and LOL about sharing bracelets when the writer obviously knew that only registered dancers and drummers received armbands????...maybe you should consider that attitude..."learn a little about these ways?"...so does that mean we should let everyone eat for free...is that the way???...clue me in...and then tell me how we should pay for it...by the way this is just my opinion and not that of the official pow wow director...
actually yes "we" do, we meaning other powwows. when our family ran arlee last year sat afternoon i cooked and fed everyone who came to our camp. because everyone was welcome to come, i didnt make a big stink out of people who just came. thats how its supposed to be.
u welcome all those who come, not just dancers and dummers, their whole family but everyone. every1 was invited whether i knew them or not. thats just how its done.

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #86
Flat E!

Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
u know all in all i had a good time but the problem with this powwow is they dont want to listen. the thing with the white people getting upset about the dancing backwards really stemed me. also when they are corrected about something they r doing wrong in terms of tradition...like the backwards honorings and the gourd dancer playing flute music during gourd dancing. they dont want to fix it or get some1 who knows whats right to help them. they just continue to do it.
after a while the indians whos values u r walking over will start to get irrate and not stop coming to it. then theyll just have of those wannabe powwows that people talk about not ever going to...

~Flat Beat~
Old 03-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #87
Pow Wow Visitor

...sorry not familiar with arlee...where is it...how many people do you have...we had between 300-500 at each of 4 meals that were served over the weekend...the university does not provide anything but a venue...please tell me how we can feed that many people without asking for some small registration fee...am willing to learn...
Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #88
Flat E!

Quote:
...sorry not familiar with arlee...where is it...how many people do you have...we had between 300-500 at each of 4 meals that were served over the weekend...the university does not provide anything but a venue...please tell me how we can feed that many people without asking for some small registration fee...am willing to learn...

arlee is in alree, mt. has been going on well over 100 years. with well over 300-500 in attendence.

and i was there i doubt u had that many people dancing, and since u only let people who had arm bands eat it was under that.

i paid for saturdays feed out of my own pocket. by no means am i rich. but i do what i can.
my mother in law did the rest of the feeds out of her pocket. and from items donated by friends and other family.

feeds have nothing to do with registration. what i am saying is it isnt fair to exclude anyone

~Flat Beat~
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #89
Pow Wow Visitor

...never been to montana but have heard it is beautiful...as for the numbers, that is what the cook told georgia...we had about 200-250(?) dancers if i remember the registration numbers correctly...some of the drums registered as both, so that may or may not have bumped the numbers, but you are absolutely correct...the numbers don't match up...we fed a lot more than registered dancers and drummers (i do know that vendors ate also, but don't know that exact number)...it will always boil down to a money thing, unfortunately...georgia runs the pow wow with only the help of a handful of volunteers... family, students, professors, friends and a few boy scouts...she can't ask them to foot the bill for the food...it's a dilemma...any suggestions???...

Last edited by stampwitch57; 03-10-2006 at 01:46 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #90
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
$ for food

."..please tell me how we can feed that many people without asking for some small registration fee...am willing to learn... "

Organizations like yours putting on pow wows have to RAISE the money to do what they want to do. Car washes, bake sales, donations, sponsors, etc.

The tribes up in upper Michigan and Wisconsin, they feed everybody at the pow wow.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #91
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy is very correct in her post, and what she desribes at Arlee is exactly what I was referring to in my original post. Everyone in attendance is fed, not just singers and dancers because those guys and gals have families as well who support the dance.

I think this entire discussion boils down to the fact that stampwitch is just not familiar with these ways. Nothing bad about that...well, nothing bad until you criticize.

Most of the pow wows have either tribally-sponsored feeds or family-sponsored feeds. Others not in a tribal community (like MTSU) oftentimes get local businesses to donate items or money for the feed. Business partners is an excellent way to raise funds for a dance. If not, you've got an entire year to raise $$. Don't wait until the last few months before the pow wow...your fund-raising for MTSU 2007 should have started Monday.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #92
Pow Wow Visitor

...thanks for the suggestions...i will pass those on...our difficulty comes with being extremely loosely tied to the university...makes corporate donations a little sticky for some reason...we have considered the 401C3 (or 3C?) and that may be the route we need to go...and please understand it was the attitude more than the action that got me in the other post...certainly didn't mean to make you mad...feel i should just excuse myself from this venue...find me at [email][email protected] ...thanks...

Last edited by stampwitch57; 03-10-2006 at 02:11 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #93
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
I must say Arlee, Montana was the best powwow I have been to yet. Beautiful landscape, awesome people, friendliest vendors. From the Handgame Tourney, to the Nightclub. Never went without a meal. Handrummers going from tent to tent singing, as you give them food. Man just awesome to wake up to handgame songs. Then look over see a lodge, with a glacier behind it, just as the sun comes over it. Look to your left and see ur snag and a hickie. lolz Besides the point like I said never went w/o a meal, never paid a dime for reg, and STILL got paid day money just for setting up.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #94
Kili!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
I must say Arlee, Montana was the best powwow I have been to yet. Beautiful landscape, awesome people, friendliest vendors. From the Handgame Tourney, to the Nightclub. Never went without a meal. Handrummers going from tent to tent singing, as you give them food. Man just awesome to wake up to handgame songs. Then look over see a lodge, with a glacier behind it, just as the sun comes over it. Look to your left and see ur snag and a hickie. lolz Besides the point like I said never went w/o a meal, never paid a dime for reg, and STILL got paid day money just for setting up.
Dang bro...you're making me miss the northern plains BAD!!!!!!!! (lol...especially the highlighted part)
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #95
singer

btcsinger is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

whats his name i'll kill him you shouldn't let men touch you like that. ayee. jokes jokes.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #96
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcsinger
whats his name i'll kill him you shouldn't let men touch you like that. ayee. jokes jokes.
dam guy all cut-throat n ish. lol jealous?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #97
my mini me

ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 190.81
ROTFL That is a good one btcsinger. Had the office looking at me for that one. LOL
ndldy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #98
my mini me

ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
ndldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond reputendldy68 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 190.81
Totally agree with fundraising. Start doing it now. Will have enough to feed all weekend. just my 2 cents.
ndldy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #99
Sober Native Warrior

Mukwa Noodin is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 858.37
My bad...

Quote:
Fogive me. I believe the discussion was limited to Danbear. I apologize for not clarifying previously.
No,my bad brother. I should have paid a little closer attention to the thread. Haven't been doing this long.

Squash all that stuff. I am just looking forward to singing again.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #100
Sober Native Warrior

Mukwa Noodin is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 858.37
Quote:

Right on,
At the White Earth Pow Wow , not only did they feed EVERYONE,but the elders got fed first. The youngsters got plates and took them to the elders. Then everyone else. There were 800 dancer and 27 drums when we went there. Imagine feeding all of them then the public. I am not sure how, but the food was there. I was in awe.