Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Queens-thunderbird Powwow Queens-thunderbird Powwow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kanku Dai Warrior is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation Queens-thunderbird Powwow

One good thing about this event was the weather. It was gorgeous all three days. No Rain.

Where should I start......

Friday grand entry went off without a hitch. Nice crowd and more dancers than last year.

Saturday's going along great until they run Womens jingle without any kind of announcement immediately after the Aztec dancers. 2 jingle dress dancers (Vaughnda & Mary)missed category because of the lack of announcements on the MC's part. Other dancers also saw this was a problem and asked them to wait but they ran it anyway. ooooooh!

Another problem with the schedule is that their should have been an intertribal after the Aztecs performed to get warmed up for category. Dancers need a chance to get ready and warm up before contest.

Children from the ages of 10-16 in all categories are all mixed together. However, they seperated boys from girls.
Teens against kids come on now. Teens were really upset & sat out of the contest because of this.

When I went to check my scores, they explained to me that there was always at least one member from Thunderbird judging the categories & different judges were used for each day of contests. Okay that did not explain the fact that some of the judges they used do not know what they are looking at as far as the technique of the dance catgory. As far as I am concerned there were problems in many of the categories, I also explained to them that many of the champion dancers are displeased with the problem of favoritism and that the same people seem to win every year. You mean to tell me that people can't get better, impossible. I wasn't the only one who had a problem with the overall outcome of the contest. Many people wanted to check their scores.

You can't win them all but you also can't loose them all the time either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break, I have a degree in dance & theater also been dancing since I could walk, these people are trying to tell me that they know about the dances and that she trusted the people they chose to judge!!!! People bust their behinds & take off work to get to the powwow for a Friday night grand entry and the points for this was only 25 points. Okay committee why don't you also have contest on Friday night. We realize now it was pointless & a waste of our time to try to make it for Friday it did not make a diffenence in the outcome. Most of the people who came on Saturday placed.

I also want to say thank you to all those who told me that they thought I should have placed in jingle. That happens a lot to me but I will keep on dancing no matter what. Usually when someone says something is better it just their opinion, that doesn't mean they are right. It all depends on how they were taught and what they have been led to believe.

Taiyin & Wayasti congrats!! You are the best MUCH RESPECT!!!!!! I really appreciate you as people and professionals. I mean that!!! See you at the next one. Thank you for the encouragement & thanks for caring.

Here is the other problem I came across. The woman on the committee explained to me that there was always one member of Thunderbird judging however some of their own members were dancing in contest. Overall they need to revamp their judging system and teach their members what to look for as far as certain dances are concerned.

Amanda great hoop dancing on Saturday!!!
The hoop dancer, sorry didn't get her name was awesome on Sunday!!!!! Excellent dancing with a whole lotta spirit. I enjoyed this performance. Someone please post her name if possible.

MEN'S GRASS
3rd Tom Pearson
2nd DREW LYN
1st Ginew Benton

Women's Shawl
3rd Erica Phillips
2nd Cheyenne
1st Amanda Ironstar-BigMountain

Men's Fancy
3rd Calvin Burns
2nd Wayasti Richardson
1st Sean Yazzie

Women's Traditional
3rd Mel Tonepehote
2nd Donita Efono
1st Taiyin Snowflower

Young Women
3rd I. Stonefish (fancy)
2nd T. Tonpehote (tradish)
1st V. Stonefish (fancy)

Young Men
3rd Raven Mathais (tradish)
2nd Blaze Stark (grass)
1st Michael Begay (tradish)

Tiny Tots
3rd Buddy Tonpehote
2nd Leroy Arujo
1st Gary Meeches

Women's Jingle
3rd Katrina Bigmountain
2nd Mary Ahenakew
1st Ashay Ironstar-Bigmountain

Men's Traditional
3rd Little Bigmountain
2nd Samuel Begay
1st Preston Tonpehote

Next Year?????????????????????????? Who knows???

Well, we will see you all at the National powwow in DC.
Kanku Dai Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
UNBELIEVEABLE!

taani has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 2,358.18
Thanks Kanku Dai Warrior!!! That's really nice to hear :)

I feel for ya completely. When I go to this powwow I already have an 'understanding' of how it's gonna be and it's ALWAYS different every time but I let it slide (i guess cause i live close). I understand that you traveled far for that powwow but you kinda have to be in the right mind set for what's gonna happen.

I don't understand how the committee let the MC (granted he runs the powwow) override the decision to go ahead with the contest. I mean they were doing intertribals after intertribals, one after the Aztecs wasn't gonna kill anyone.

Just know for next time IF there is a next time LMAO

-T
taani is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Savings: 1.00
MC? Host Drum?

Who was MC? Was it Loui? Was Black Bear Host Drum?
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
UNBELIEVEABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSS
Who was MC? Was it Loui? Was Black Bear Host Drum?
MC - Louie Mofsie
Host Drum - Black Bear
Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
SO overall was it a good powwow???
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

ABENEWA KWE is a glorious beacon of light
Ok .... Well ... First ... I Had A Good Time , Cuz I Just Love To Dance.

I Felt Bad For The Mens Tradish ... Because It Was Hot And They Danced Them To Death .... Poor Guys.

But My Thing Is With Mens Grass - I Really Felt That Drew Should Of Placed 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I Doubt That Anyone Would Disagree With Me ... I Was Watching The One Of The Judges At His Last Contest, And This Judge Was Not Even Trying To Look At Drew!!!! That Pissed Me Off!

Anyway, Thats All I Have To Say!

Oh... Yeah That Anishinabe Kwe Hoop Dancer .. Was Awesome!!!!!!!! I Wanted To Chat With Her In Ojib, But Everytime I See Her ... People Were All Talking To Her .. Ha Ha Ha Ha ! That Girl Had Some Energy In Her!!

Lataz
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

ABENEWA KWE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
UNBELIEVEABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenewa
But My Thing Is With Mens Grass - I Really Felt That Drew Should Of Placed 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I Doubt That Anyone Would Disagree With Me ... I Was Watching The One Of The Judges At His Last Contest, And This Judge Was Not Even Trying To Look At Drew!!!! That Pissed Me Off!
Okay, I don't 'disagree' that Drew should have placed 1st but that's your opinion. Just as if ppl thought Ginew 'deserved' 1st. Both of the men have their on styles, it just all depends on what the judges are looking for and at the rate of this pw you NEVER know!!! lol
Old 08-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taani
Okay, I don't 'disagree' that Drew should have placed 1st but that's your opinion. Just as if ppl thought Ginew 'deserved' 1st. Both of the men have their on styles, it just all depends on what the judges are looking for and at the rate of this pw you NEVER know!!! lol
TRUE! THIS IS TRUE :)
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Old 08-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

Drew Thanks you

Thanks for the compliment on Drew's dancing. He loves dancing and one day the people will see that he is as deserving as others. Julius told him he was really good at Washington powwow in 2002 and he would go far just hang in there cuz the people would see in time. Drew always dances hard and he never complains. He's a trooper!!!!!!! He did dance his heart out. Ginew is a great dancer too!!!!! Congrats to both!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanku Dai Warrior
Thanks for the compliment on Drew's dancing. He loves dancing and one day the people will see that he is as deserving as others. Julius told him he was really good at Washington powwow in 2002 and he would go far just hang in there cuz the people would see in time. Drew always dances hard and he never complains. He's a trooper!!!!!!! He did dance his heart out. Ginew is a great dancer too!!!!! Congrats to both!!!!
V- I CAN TELL DREW LOVES TO DANCE :) , GINEW IS A GREAT DANCER I WILL ADMIT, I HAD A GREAT TIME WATCHING BOTH OF THOSE GUYZ!

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR DREW ....

IF YOU ARE AT SHINNECOCK THIS YEAR AND I BRING MY LIL SON ( 7 YRS OLD ) AND MY NEPHEW ( 5 YRS OLD ) ... IF THEY AIN'T TOO SHY AND YOU GOT THE TIME, COULD YOU SHOW THEM SOME MOVES ...

THIS IS ROBIN ... YOUR MOM KNOWS ME :)

"Night Flying Woman"

Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sure, Andrew would be glad to show them some moves.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 AM   #12
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanku Dai Warrior
Sure, Andrew would be glad to show them some moves.
Thanks Andrew

Hey you guys dance hard like always at dc powwow!! wish i could go ...

Lataz

"Night Flying Woman"

Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
ITs only a week away...! Hope I can make it....