Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Richmond Ky Powwow rainout Richmond Ky Powwow rainout

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
thunderturtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry Richmond Ky Powwow rainout

POWWOW COMMITEE WHAT COMITTEE? I ARRIVED ON FRIDAY NIGHT AS A DANCER AND TO MEET FRIENDS WHO VEND FROM CHEROKEE NC. WHAT I FOUND WAS RAIN AND MORE RAIN THIS IS EXPECTED., AS WE WHO TRAVEL THE CIRCUT KNOW HAPPENS BT AND THIS IS THE RUB...WHEN WE ARRIVED BACK ON THE GROUNDS ON SATURDAY IT WAS A SEA OF MUD,TRAILERS STUCK, THE LAKE REBA REC PEOPLE IRATE AT THE DAMAGE TO THEIR BASEBALL FIELD AND NOT ONE WHIT OF A PERSON IN CHARGE...NOT A HOWDY DO, SORRY YOU HAD TO SPEND EXTRA MONEY FOR LODING OR FOOD,NOT A WILLING COMITEE HAND, NOT A HOT CUP OF COFFEE...NOTHING, I REPEAT NOTHING. I HELPED MY FRIENDS TEAR DOWN IN THE PORING RAIN WHILE THE LADY IN CHARGE JUST STOOD BY SAYING NOTHING. THE DRUMS WERE UNDER A COVER AND PROVIDED A BIT OF SPIRIT TO OUR TEAR DOWN. BLESS THEM...WE DID AT THE END GET A CURSORY "COME BACK NEXT YEAR" BUT EVEN THAT WAS SAID AS HE SCURIED OFF...FAST!! SO WE COULD NOT REPLY....NO ONE NO ONE NO ONE AND AGAIN I REPEAT NO COMITTEE SHOWED THEIR FACE OR HELPED...WE DID GET HELP FOR OUR TRAILER FROM THE REC MATINENCE BUT AGAIN THEY DID NOT DO THIS NORMALLY AND DROPPED MY FRIENDS TRAILER,WITH BREAKABLES 4 XS.4XS,AND I REPEAT 4XS.I DO NOT CARE IF THIS WAS THE 1ST OR THE17TH. A REFUND OF FEES PAID OR AT THE VERY LEAST 1/2 OF THE FEES AND A BREAK ON NEXT YEARS AND AN APOLOGY WOULD BE APPRECIATED...HOW UNPROFESSIONAL THEY WERE, HOW RUDE, HOW THOUGHTLESS.....SOME CAME FROM NEW MEXICO FOR GOODNESS SAKE...ALL MAKE MOST OR ALL OF THEIR LIVELYHOOD GOING TO SHOWS...NOT EVEN A WARM DRINK OR A WORD. AGAIN HOW UNPROFESIONAL...NUFF SAID....YOU HAVE GOTTEN MY ANIGST...LIBBY CHAPMAN :
thunderturtle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
So you're saying the pow wow was completely rained out - didn't happen at all - and the vendors didn't get a refund on their fees?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Rained Out? No refund of fees? Everyone lost cash? That stuff happens.

First you need to look at the contract the vendors signed. Most have a clause in case the event is cancled. You have to look at that clause. A lot of contracts are in favor of the powwow comittee. For example a vendor that cancles a week in advance may loose his deposite because the powwow may feel that they cannot fill the space. Some contracts have a bad weather clause that states no refunds due to a weather cancelation on the day of the powwow. The vendors agreed to what the contract stated. Weather is a crap shoot.

I have provided sound for powwows for many years. I have seen a canclation due to rain, flooding, fire, no permits, land owners retracting agreements and other stuff. I have also seen powwow comittees refuse to cancle a powwow due to rain just to keep the fees. (There's the circle, there's the drum arbor, there's the vendors. Dance on the rain if all we care or not. It's up to you! But we are not cancling the powwow!!! Sorry about the rain.) Sure it's a cheep shot but it has been done.

Now here comes a question: How much damage was done to the field due to the rain and trucks, and trailers around the circle. The powwow comittee may be held accountable for the damages. Did they have the insurance coverage to pay for the repairs?

Another question: Did you as a dancer check the weather forcasts for the area before leaving home? If so, you could have anticipated what were the chances of a rain out before leaving home. Did you look at other powwows because of the weather?

Believe me, I am not coming down on you or the powwow comittee with my questions. We all take a chance when we go to a powwow concerning the weather. A powwow must be put together many months in advance. They cannot control the weather. You as a dancer have a lot more control over a weather situation. You can make the commitment to yourself to go to a powwow then change your mind at the last moment.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
There is a need to address one more issue. The issue is that there is only one side posted here.

One must look at the other side, the powwow comittee. With the weather situation out of control and the land owners ranting and raving over the damage, Did the powwow comittee just toss in the towel due to over stress? When you have a land owner of a very expensive piece of property like a baseball field that one has rented for an event and it has been damaged, there are going to be big problems. Remember, baseball season is still running. What games will be held at the field after the powwow? Playoffs? Tounraments? Can a contractor be called to repair the damage before the field is scheduled to be used for the next event. It could be a Monday night game the day after the powwow. How much money will the field owner loose if he has to cancle his contracts due to damage. What are his contract responsibilities to others. Did the owner shut off the power to protect his investments due to the rain. Hence "No coffee". How much pressure was put on the comittee by the field owner? Were big lawsuits threatened? The powwow comittee may be looking at a domino effect of problems due to field damage. Can a ball team find another suitable field in time to play an important game on. Will a baseball league sue the field owner because they can't use the field because of the damage?

Lots of questions here to consider.

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 09-26-2006 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Just to add my .02 here - I did a little research on the weather for this past weekend. Richmond was under flash flood advisories, 12 people died - 2 of them swept away in their car when a flooding creek overtopped the highway just north of Richmond, over a half foot of rain fell between Friday night and Sunday morning! Portions of I 64 not more than 25 miles from Richmond were closed due to standing water.

Perhaps all of the above had a hand to play in why the committee was nowhere to be found?

Last edited by between2worlds; 09-26-2006 at 09:55 PM..
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
Richmond Powwow Assoc

ssaltsman is a jewel in the rough
I usually don't get involved with such matters but this one is dear to my heart. First of all let me explain that I am a member of the Richmond Powwow Committee. When we started to set up for the powwow on Thursday the weather wasn't calling for all the rain and wind we received during the weekend. Things continued to change as the weekend played out. It wasn't until Saturday morning that we decided to cancel the powwow. We cancelled the event due to four inches of water standing in the dance circle and because we didn't want to put anyone in danger of the storms being forcast for later that evening. Many of the weather forcasters said they hadn't seen any weather like this in years. After we cancelled the powwow our vendor coordinator went to each vendor and spoke with them regarding their vendor fee. Most told him and then later me they would be back next year. Most said that in spite of the weather they really enjoyed themsleves and couldn't wait to come back next year. I personally spoke with the parks and rec personnel regarding the condition of the field we used and they told me not to worry too much about the field that they would take care of it.

On a personal note. We have always tried to do what is right in regards to hosting a powwow in Richmond, Kentucky. We as a committee don't do it for the money. Anyone who has hosted a powwow knows there is no money to be made by hosting such an event. We do it as a way to educate our community about the history and culture or Native Americians. It broke my heart to have to cancel this event. I ask if anyone wants to know to go to the source ask me or someone else on our committee.
ssaltsman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
Powwow Sound 4 U

Ssaltsman,

Thank you for posting the other side for us. I knew that there would be a good reason for the cancelation. I had a feeling that your comittee had tried to do things in a good way.

I posted my questions here with a good heart so people would think a bit on what it takes to put on an event of a large scale like a powwow, and what can happen when things go wrong, that you have no control over, such as weather. As with planning any event, one must look at the safety of the people who attend or contract into the event first. You and your comittee did look at the safety of all concerned and did what was best for all.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

thunderturtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Richmond powwow

In reply to the replys,I thank you for the words and the sentements. I know what an undertaking it is and what at times a thankless job it can become....I also know weather is an item one cannot turn off or on at will. I wrote with an honest heart what I observed, only my observation,done in an torental downpour....I personally did help a vendor tear down and except for one hurried person did not again personally see this committee member really "talk" to the vendor I was helping. I am still of the opinion, again "my opinion" that a little more help and a pot of coffee would have helped....I am sure Richmond powwow people are an honest lot, they have been going a long time....I reported again "my observations " enough said. Blessings to all
thunderturtle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #9
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
THUNDERTURTLE - Unless you changed your name recently and had the numbers reset......

How dare you come on here and flame a powwow committee as your 3rd post in 2 years!!!

Are you mad because you made a worthless trip? Did you have to splurge for a hotel and gas money? Did you not get to compete or get day money?

Get a grip, sh1t happens every now and then.

I have been to many rained out and snowed out powwows and havent b1tched once.

Use your head man!
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
Rain, mud, thunder, tornadoes and other calamities.

There was a pow wow in Mt. Juliet, TN last weekend with similar problems. Not so much flooding, but HoRRIble mud and very hard rain and wind. I was so worried that someone would fall while dancing. They cancelled Sat. night cause of very hard rain and tornado warning (AND the band came to the hotel and played, AND they brought the food for the feed there ---VERY COOL) and went on with it Sunday. About the middle of the day Sunday it actually felt like a pow wow for awhile. Very hard, with the mud. I certainly understand the emergency up in Kentucky. But when you are a vendor and trying to salvage your merchandice, I am sure it gets really hard and stressfull.
I was shocked when one of the dancers at Mt. Juliet was getting really agressive about prize money when the committee hinted that they might not have enough. I was thinking, gee whiz, give them a chance to deal with all the logistics (move the the pavillion, move to the parking lot, stay where we are, move the electric stuff, what to do, what to change, etc.) and see what decisions will be made before you start mouthing off....and as it turned out, they decided to stay where we were, dance in the mud, and they were able to make all the payouts, I think. I am sure that that pow wow committee was glad when it was finally over.
Whew! Like I said one other time, you work so hard to put on a pow wow, and give it your all, and mother nature throws a calamity at cha, and then everyone has their own considerations and judgements...oh the humanity! It's tuff. I think if I had been in KY I would have tried to help in some way...probably most people would if they could. Maybe it was just the emergency of the whole situation that made them catatonic.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 92,480.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
This is nothing to complain about.

I once went to a three day powwow in June. No rain, no wind, no snow, no mud ... just plain mild early summer weather with the sun shining all day long.

At the end of the powwow, people (contest winners, head staff) were given vouchers to take to the bank the next day for payouts!

Guess what? There was no money to be paid out to anyone! Not even to the portajohn vendors!

Now that is something to gripe about.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Communication is the Key

It seems here that lack of communication is the culprit rather than unscrupulous people. If you're on a pow wow committee, it is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE that you communicate what is going on with the pow wow to all singers and dancers. Don't keep secrets. Don't keep things in. Tell everyone what is going on at all times.

If the weather is bad and it might be cancelled...tell them!

If the pow wow must be moved because of rain and mud...tell them!

If the pow wow doesn't have money to pay dancers...tell them! But, tell them before the dance even occurs!

Sorry everyone had bad times this weekend...we stayed home and watched football
Old 09-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
Where's the next dance?

stomp is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 996.60
good points

You have brought up two very good points. I must say that at Mt. Juliet they told us their decisions in a timely manner. And the payouts were in cash. AND I got to relax on a Saturday eve! and saw the AL/Ark game, too! Everyone seemed to keep their cool...just that one person that I know of almost lost it...SOOOO important to just stay cool. AND probably those who didn't come to Mt. Juliet actually looked at the weather map and made a good decision.

Last edited by stomp; 09-27-2006 at 05:04 PM..
stomp is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

GWYLegend is an unknown quantity at this point
I was at the Richmond powwow as a vendor. I do have to say, the weather was VERY unexpected. I also have to say that all that was said to me was "We are sorry and we hope you come back" I still know nothing about the vendor fees.
GWYLegend is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

vickiesp9 is on a distinguished road
I was a vendor at Richmond too. And yes the weather was that bad. I talked to the committee and I know they were heart broken that it was cancelled. I know I will go back to the event next year. I have been going for quite a few years now and enjoy this show. If you have any questions about the vendor fee just contact Dan Quigg. He is the one over the vendors. I know he will be happy to help you.
I know that this committee is not perfect,but they do more for the vendors and dancers that any other show that I attend.
vickiesp9 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

screamineagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 190.00
Richmond,ky pow wow

Osiyo Oginali
We went to the pow wow on sunday and saw how it had been rained out, We affered to help the ones that was still there but they all said that they had it and they thanked us for offering to help,,my heart was sad when i seen it and is even sadder now that i know that they did not offer any thing to help,not even a sorry,i am so sorry and hope that they all do come back this year,,we love going to the pow wows when we get a chance to go,once again we are so sorry that this happened even though we can not control the weather our hearts still goes out to them all,
,,,,,,,,,,,,May the Great Spirit bless you all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,Screamineagle & Running Dear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
screamineagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links