Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree28Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Travelling to Millington Tn soon Travelling to Millington Tn soon

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Vigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scale
Credits: 519.72
Savings: 0.00
Smile Travelling to Millington Tn soon

My Dad and I will be travelling to Millington Tn Soon from Ohio to attend the Pow-wow taken place there August the 16th and 17th of this year. All Of the Pow-wows I have been to in Ohio have been just ok not as Awesome as the ones that take place in the South as well as out West. Haven't been to any Pow-wows out West so I have nothing to compare them too but the ones we have been to in Ohio don't have many dancers and they seem to be Unorganized in my Opinion. Excited about going haven't been to the Millington,Tn Area Pow-wow in a long time since we moved to Ohio from Walls Mississippi which we are thinking of moving back to in the near future.Will let everyone know how the Pow wow goes when I go in August of this year.

Last edited by Vigalante; 08-20-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
i looked the powwow up on youtube.....being that it was in TN i expected the worst...looks small but decent, at least they had some 5real ndns out there and a good drum.......have fun
Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 84,947.75
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
If you are in Ohio, why not go southeast of you to Western NY in mid-July for a back-to-back weekend fling at the "Seneca Nations of Indians Powwow" (Salamanca, NY), and the Grand River "Champion of Champions Powwow" (Ohsweken, Ontario)?

http://www.senecanation.com/Seneca-Pow-Wow.aspx
Grand River 'Champion of Champions' Pow-wow | July 28 & 29, 2012 | Main Page

Not putting down any local TN powwows with a 20-foot dance arena surrounded by bales of hay, why not do a couple of big powwows? One on the U.S. side and the other just across the Canadian border ... just sayin'.
windanncer likes this.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Banned

Vigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scaleVigalante is off the scale
Smile Never had the desire to Visit Ny

I never had an interest or Desire to Visit Ny so why start now? I am sure they have Big Pow-wows and a good turn out or crowd but thanks but no thanks. I know the pow-wow in Tn what if I went to the Ny Pow-wow and it was a bust and Unorganized or something else there is always a first time for that. The Millington Tn. Pow-wow is inside a arena so it may not be too bad and they had bleachers to sit on the last time I was there was in the 90s before we moved from Mississippi back to Ohio where I am originally from.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 84,947.75
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Suit yourself. You are comparing an event more than 20 years ago to what is going on now. Besides, why do you want to SIT at a powwow, you should be out there dancing your heart out.

Besides, western NY is different than eastern NY just as it is in all parts of the country. I've been to powwows in TN and NY (as well as OK, NM, CO, UT, AZ, NV and CA) and I know how they are.

Have fun.
windanncer likes this.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Banned

Too Lazy to dance

Too lazy to Dance at any Pow-wow although I used to In the past dance at Pow-wows now I just want to Observe and watch others dance. Its relaxing watching I would be afraid I would tire out dancing in the Intertribal or when I am called out there to dance or maybe even Invited. I am in not the best shape to keep up with the Energy required to dance and I know it must take a lot of Energy and practice to be good or just ok.So for now I will just be a Spectator Or Observer. I have been to well over a dozen pow-wows part of my life ever since I was 10 or 11 years old I am now 30ish but feel like a teenager mind wise.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,318.40
Salamanca Powwow is a lot of Iroquois dancing but is usually large.

Grand River is supposed to be great. Look at the pictures and videos. Thats a large real powwow. Grand River 'Champion of Champions' Pow-wow - General Information
windanncer and Vigalante like this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Old 05-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Banned

Pow Wow

That last Pow-wow or message posted now that's what you call a Pow-wow I will keep it in mind next time I attend a Pow-wow I will go to a Big Pow-wow I have never seen a Pow-wow of that multitude nor have I ever been to a Pow-wow or arena larger than one for 500 dancers to compete I have been to a dance competition though where many dancers competed for best in everything from style to regalia and to dancing.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Banned

Talking whats up peeps

I am no dummy I love my pow-wows and fry bread too so haven't been here in ages just wanted to check in and check back anything I missed anything new going on pimping my native style headband right now lol Cherokee/Choctaw mixed blood here not much but feel like I am 1/4 in Spirit I may and might be you never know take a look and see for your self if I look like I am or not those that have eyes let them see my picture I have changed man I have change my appearance is looking Native, my dad is 12 percent Cherokee/Choctaw I am not a lot but I am in Spirit if you understand say ayeeeee! Awesome here going to a pow-wow next month in September you may or may not see me there Springfield Ohio paw paw moon Native Gathering of all nations and tribes.At George Rogers State Park I was there last year my dad and I and our little new pack member Stella is coming with us she is a little 14 pounds terrier mix she loves people and loves to give kisses and sit in peoples lap I am the pied piper of every animals wolves would probably most likely come to me and greet me that how Ia m animal magnetism they all love me pied piper effect the guy with the flute that attracts all animals that's me. I have had packs of Dogs follow me home in the past in my 20s I am30ish now but still look like a20 year old and feel like a 17 year old in Spirit energized full of life down-to-earth been combative lately trying to work on that I am not usually combative unless you push my buttons and make me that way I can be 5ft4 dark blackish dark brown hair blue grey eyes mostly or steely grey at times well they change looking to meet and flirt with a full blooded all the way traditional Native American you game or not flirt back if you are hit me up lol. Natives are hot and sexy they turn me on and I turn them on I think too. that's alright if you get turned on by me or me by you if not say so I will try to cool my jets some lol. I can resist if I try hard enough temptations I have urges just like everyone else out there and tingling sensations don't get me started on that lol I wont go there lol. This is a family site so I will do my best to keep foul stuff clean and my words clean lol.So anyhow send me a private message if interested in knowing me better closer come closer I don't bite Unless you want me to hehe
Old 08-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Banned

Post Hey heres my picture

I almost forgot to add my pic on here let me know if you see Native in me I have changed not the same person I was changed complete overall I look more Native than anything and I am not much maybe 6 percent if that but look 1/4 Cherokee/Choctaw are the tribes I represent lol. Native pride big time here I am one those who are proud to be Native American or American Indian here no disrespect intended right here.Mixed also with English I know I am more than a quarter English and German more than A quarter my last name is German but I tend to lean toward my Native side blood roots and all All Native I feel it in my Spirit 1/4 maybe Cherokee/Choctaw my friend is 1/3 Cherokee/Choctaw she thinks the same as me I have her picture to post below mine so you can compare and see who looks more me or her.I am telling you I have high cheek bones dark blackish brown hair natural color bluish grey eyes some green too and long fingers and long toes doesn't mean anything.It can though for different tribes my dad is 12 percent Native so that makes me 6 percent but feel like I am 1/4 Indian those tribes are mentioned are in my DNA.Me on the left friend on the right side we both have native in us friends name Jannele Sark

Last edited by Vigalante; 08-21-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,760.34
What precent alien are you? (Stick with me here, I really am trying to be nice.)

I'm a chemist not a biologist. I will readily admit I don't know everything about genetics and human reproduction, but last I checked for homo sapiens, it takes two to tango. So, the bottom half of the denominator in those blood quantum fractions always has to be 2^n, where n is a positive integer. Being 1/3 or 6% or 12% is only possible if you had some ancestors that required three -- uh -- donors of genetic material to reproduce. This is precisely why I am dubious about these DNA ancestry tests. The math breaks down because of the sampling techniques.

That said... I was taught if you are Indian, you won't have to tell people they will know by the way you act. Talk your family, find your people. A test will not give you a kinship connection. Once you find them, then take a humble attitude. Learn and serve. Learn who your people really are, not who Hollyweird tells you they are.

Meanwhile, do yourself a favor: Forget about cheekbones or fingers. Lose the headband. And reconsider taking your dog to the powwow, there is little that can tick a dancer off faster than muddy paw prints on expensive regalia.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,007.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
What precent alien are you? (Stick with me here, I really am trying to be nice.)

Meanwhile, do yourself a favor: Forget about cheekbones or fingers. Lose the headband. And reconsider taking your dog to the powwow, there is little that can tick a dancer off faster than muddy paw prints on expensive regalia.
I agree with the above suggestions from Olchemist.

In reading your posts and viewing your picture. With respect to your percentages - I wouldn't run around claiming to be indian because you might have to deal with challenges from some people you didn't intend to rub the wrong way. Not to be mean, but the way I see it, you are non-indian with some Indian/Native ancestry, its just being honest, my two cents worth. Enjoy the powwows that you attend...
windanncer and gilisi like this.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
Banned

Angry thanks alot for aggreeing with Mr Perfect

ok I see where I stand I am done lol byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee put that in you f book if you have one so many natives on here want to be correct all the time and say you are Indian or you are not stuff like that gets under my skin btw nothing nice to say keep your mouth shut that's all byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee again.Headband is staying on btw OlChemist and never coming off unless I wash it lol
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Banned

attitude

headband is back on you really want to go round and round with me because round and round is where we will go and not go anywhere. Or we can all get along and not be so politically correct all the time Mr. Perfect to Ol Chemist and others on here and out there you know who you are. Spitting fire right now you spit back we can go all day and all night your choice. People asking who and who is not Indian btw gets under my skin and saying I am not Indian is calling the kettle black when I feel it in my heart and in My Spirit and I do have Native Heritage and ancestry I am no lier I tell the truth and like it is don't like it don't come around me. Lose the corncob up each every ones butt on here and off and lose the attitude I may or may not lose the headband though I happen to like my hair in a headband put that in your f book and tell it to the world. I don't really care what you all think of me I am being me don't like it shove off and shove it and keep your corncob up your butt then I don't really care what you do or what others think of me I spit on that I don't care am I loud and clear and Politically correct enough for you now nothing funny about this here I am serious. But I do like to joke around on occasion if you don't like it shove it so far up your butt you need a light to see it. Telling it like it is some people hate that but it is what it is and I say what I say and I mean it what I say too. Keeping the headband by the way don't like it take offense to it then see if I care I really don't you think I do but I don't at all. Got me fired up now Ol Chemist you started it I am about to finish it put you in your place and any followers take them with you don't bring them to me or around me either got it.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
LBGOOD2U

lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post

I'm a chemist not a biologist. I will readily admit I don't know everything about genetics and human reproduction, but last I checked for homo sapiens, it takes two to tango. So, the bottom half of the denominator in those blood quantum fractions always has to be 2^n, where n is a positive integer. Being 1/3 or 6% or 12% is only possible if you had some ancestors that required three -- uh -- donors of genetic material to reproduce. This is precisely why I am dubious about these DNA ancestry tests. The math breaks down because of the sampling techniques.

That said... I was taught if you are Indian, you won't have to tell people they will know by the way you act. Talk your family, find your people. A test will not give you a kinship connection. Once you find them, then take a humble attitude. Learn and serve. Learn who your people really are, not who Hollyweird tells you they are.

Oh my gudnezz, you are such a racist, rude big green meanie. And btw beware of the cob lmao
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
I pull your leg out!

Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
This is a problem on this site. People come on here post some question or post about a topic like spirituality or genealogy and when they read a reply that doesn't match the answer they were hoping for they get mad and either become combative or write some good bye post. Granted some of the verbiage used in the answers or replies can be a bit rash.

People need to understand that when you hear an answer that you don't like you need to ask for an explanation or say thanks and carry on and search through all of the good content contained on this site and in other areas on this forum.
alumphfres, windanncer and subeeds like this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Old 08-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,898.11
Wow...

I wish the occasional wannabe would actually listen to people like OLChemist, when they try to set you straight so you can avoid ridicule...

I think you and wb would be a match made in heaven. Too bad he's banished. He also refused to listen...
Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #18
I pull your leg out!

Oh my. I stepped away to reboot a malfunctioning control processor before I finished my last post and I come back to see that things got intense in here.

As an admin I'm going to tell you to CALM DOWN. You are getting yourself wrapped up in semantics here. What I mean is that no one is saying that you don't have native ancestry however they are saying that you aren't American Indian in the sense that you have no connection to your people or other cultural involvement. It's sort of how a lot of people in this country are just "Americans" of, for example, French descent. What that means is that the person's ancestors are French but since they have no involvement with French culture they don't really consider themselves French they just consider themselves American. Get it? It's just semantics.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
LBGOOD2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Oh my. I stepped away to reboot a malfunctioning control processor before I finished my last post and I come back to see that things got intense in here.

As an admin I'm going to tell you to CALM DOWN. You are getting yourself wrapped up in semantics here. What I mean is that no one is saying that you don't have native ancestry however they are saying that you aren't American Indian in the sense that you have no connection to your people or other cultural involvement. It's sort of how a lot of people in this country are just "Americans" of, for example, French descent. What that means is that the person's ancestors are French but since they have no involvement with French culture they don't really consider themselves French they just consider themselves American. Get it? It's just semantics.
I totally agree with the above, the responses weren't mean or offensive, it's information - take or leave it. If certain responses hits someone the wrong way, then it may be a good idea to explore why it brought up these intense feelings and more than likely that person will find some of those answers they are actually looking for. Olchemist does bring up good points to consider and I for one respect what she has to say!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigalante View Post
Too lazy to Dance at any Pow-wow although I used to In the past dance at Pow-wows now I just want to Observe and watch others dance. Its relaxing watching I would be afraid I would tire out dancing in the Intertribal or when I am called out there to dance or maybe even Invited. I am in not the best shape to keep up with the Energy required to dance and I know it must take a lot of Energy and practice to be good or just ok.So for now I will just be a Spectator Or Observer. I have been to well over a dozen pow-wows part of my life ever since I was 10 or 11 years old I am now 30ish but feel like a teenager mind wise.
Wow! A whole dozen powwows in 20 years. I'm impressed!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread