Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Tulsa Pow Wow Tulsa Pow Wow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
gtbdave

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 185.78
Savings: 0.00
Tulsa Pow Wow

I just returned from the Tulsa Pow Wow. They had a pretty good turnout, when you consider the recession. The new location, Spirit Bank Event Center, was about half full in the seats, and they had all the people at the vendor's booths also, with some lined up at the concessions. The event center was a good location, South on Memorial, almost to Bixby. It was clean, with AC, and plenty of room. The concession were good, I had a buffalo burger, it was good, not at all greasy like a regular burger.

I guess the highlight was the women's fancy feather dance, which was the second time I seem that. Another was the clown dance, which was the first time I had seen that kind of dance. I was good for a few chuckles, and I can say I really did LOL. The vendors had some nice stuff, we bought some Tulsa pow wow T-shirts, which they about sold out of, and some other little stuff, keychains, etc. I thought the women's fancy shawl dance was especially good this year. They didn't have many jingle dancers, which was kinda disappointing.

One of the low lights was the extra long invocation, where the guy thanked all the people who showed up in "costume", which is supposed to be an absolute taboo, it's supposed to be regalia, or outfits.

The MC made the funny comment about the person who won the prize money, now being able to take the turnpike home.

While wandering around the arena floor, I happened upon Randy Fraser, the famous A.D. I said hello, and he stuck his hand out for a shake, I shook his hand, and then he looked puzzled, like he was supposed to know me or something.

They spend alot of time giving out gifts, I thought that was something we could have been spared. It was like looking at something that was really none of our business, something that they might have done in private, or as a scheduled event.

I did miss the youth portion of the event, because it was held on Friday, which was a travel day for us. We could hardly get an extra day off work to see that portlion of the event, it might have been held on Saturday, with some other events held on Friday, the travel day for many. I always like to see the youths, and the tiny tots. Missing that portion of the event, made it seem incomplete.

All in all, it was a pretty good trip, a good Pow Wow, and we enjoyed Tulsa, taking in the Tulsa Zoo while we were there, and the Gilgrease Museum. We visited with family while there, some took in the Pow Wow with us, others couldn't make it this year, probably because of the recession.
gtbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,263.21
Good synopsis gtb!

Was this the Intertribal Indian Club of Tulsa (IICOT) Powwow or the Tulsa Powwow Club Powwow?

Was the person who gave the invocation older than 50? If so, this generation still uses the word "costume" to describe their Indian clothes. Heck, sometimes I say costume too instead of outfit sometimes because that's what my grandparents called it!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
nice update...

Do you still live in eastern OK? Like you location says? Sounds like you drove far to get there??? So I was just wondering?
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
gtbdave

gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.tulsapowwow.org/tpw/tpw09_flyer_090514.pdf

Yah, that's it, here's the flyer.

I live down towards Talihina, down in the mountains. It's not that far, once you get on I-40, and the Turnpike, about 3-4 hrs. It would be better if they didn't have so much construction going on.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
I had fun dancing in that women's fancy feather contest!!! Danced a warm-up song for 2 push-ups, then 2 full contest songs. Picked 5 finalists then we danced a shake song. I liked it because they used mostly older powwow dancers, some old fancy dancers, to judge. I also had fun dancing in the fancy shawl contest Sat nite...FINALLY a contest with NO DOUBLE BEATS!!! We got a fast crow hop which was a really nice change from all the songs I've been getting this summer so far...lol.
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
gtbdave

You all did well, it was the highlight. The whole pow wow was well done.

One of the people who was in our group suggested that they do something with lights, turn the lights out in the stands, and highlight the dancers. I don't know if that would work better or not, I've never seen that done.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Singing Unlimited, Inc.

Host-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,012.94
Tulsa Powwow 2009

Did anybody show up at the "Rockhouse" for the "9"", eh!?
Host-Drum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
gtbdave

Oops, s'cuse me. There are two similar Pow Wows in Tulsa. The Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow, and then there is the Tulsa Indian Club Pow Wow.

The Tulsa Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow is in August, 2009, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. We will be attending that one, also. If we can ever figure out where it is to be held, it's either at the Fairgrounds or at Jenks. There are two locations listed on the internet. I've emailed them to see if they can narrow it down for me, I think I've got it down to the right State, now I'm working on which City. I'm pretty sure it will be in the Tulsa area someplace. I'd hate to go someplace and be sitting in an empty arena for 3 days.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdave View Post
Oops, s'cuse me. There are two similar Pow Wows in Tulsa. The Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow, and then there is the Tulsa Indian Club Pow Wow.

The Tulsa Intertribal Indian Club Pow Wow is in August, 2009, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. We will be attending that one, also. If we can ever figure out where it is to be held, it's either at the Fairgrounds or at Jenks. There are two locations listed on the internet. I've emailed them to see if they can narrow it down for me, I think I've got it down to the right State, now I'm working on which City. I'm pretty sure it will be in the Tulsa area someplace. I'd hate to go someplace and be sitting in an empty arena for 3 days.

You could go sit at the RockHouse....
Old 07-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
LBGOOD2U

Items DevilPresentPresent
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
lbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond reputelbgood has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,481.01
Talking

Last edited by lbgood; 09-14-2009 at 10:08 PM..
lbgood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

misterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond repute
this year iicot will be at

HISTORIC PERRYMAN RANCH
Between 111th and 112th on Elwood
Turn at the White Buffalo
1154 SOUTH ELWOOD AVE
JENKS, OKLAHOMA

Intertribal Indian Club of Tulsa for more info.
misterE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Junior Dancer

handgame_native is a name known to all
It was mentioned earlier about a low point being the long invocation. It was one of the high points for me. The elder that spoke indicated himself as one of the oldest of the Awn-goo family, eloquently prayed over everyone present and even spoke of the dances' earlier history.

Grand Entry was nice and the singing was good. One thing I did go BUH at was paying 4 bucks for my pop, but on the flip side the O's were nice.

Oh, and the only obviously taboo occurence that I heard was the lady talking nonstop during the invocation. And I mean NON STOP. She wouldn't shut up! I was breaking my neck looking for a grandma so I could tell on her. aye.
handgame_native is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Singing Unlimited, Inc.

Host-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond reputeHost-Drum has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,012.94
Tulsa Powwow Invocation

Well my question is what's wrong with prayer/invocation? By all means we need prayer even if it was long, that shouldn't even be a issue but a must at all of our dances.

If it was the oldest of the Aunquoe Family by all rights that's what the Kiowa's call Kyat-thy-gyah! Good!

I think from memory that Saygee Truman's the oldest of the children of Jimmy and Anna Keahbone Aunquoe. And he is a ordained Baptist minister. So give respect to our Kiowa Elder's, there's not to many that we have anymore that really speak Kiowa fluently!...Ah-hoe!

Now you may post comments, arguments, apologies, corrections, and all the know it alls!! And Oh,yeah the Critics! Aw-kgah! Zame-they! Een'-haw!
Host-Drum is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
We'll See....

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgame_native View Post
It was mentioned earlier about a low point being the long invocation. It was one of the high points for me. The elder that spoke indicated himself as one of the oldest of the Awn-goo family, eloquently prayed over everyone present and even spoke of the dances' earlier history.

Grand Entry was nice and the singing was good. One thing I did go BUH at was paying 4 bucks for my pop, but on the flip side the O's were nice.

Oh, and the only obviously taboo occurence that I heard was the lady talking nonstop during the invocation. And I mean NON STOP. She wouldn't shut up! I was breaking my neck looking for a grandma so I could tell on her. aye.
LMAO!!! That would have been worth the $4 pop if you would have found one...

Last edited by kiyaanii mom; 07-23-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Old 07-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
gtbdave

I think a good invocation should last no more than 5 minutes. Figure if you want to go to church, there are places for that. Of course they shouldn't describe people as being in "costume" if it offends people. If it's acceptable to say they are in "costume" then so be it. Offending people may be the highlight for some.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
~Pwowfeva~

amarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond repute
I have been taught that when an elder speaks you listen and don't complain about it. Also, many elders are not "politically correct" and don't know the right words or phrases that won't offend people. Their many years on this earth gives them the right to speak their mind. Some of the best prayers I have heard usually end with "And if I've done or said anything wrong, Lord, please make it right". That usually takes care of it.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
gtbdave

Are you suggesting that you are Holier than I? That's a pretty tall order, I'm pretty dog gone Holy.

If using the term "costumes" instead of "regalia", or something else, is acceptable to you, then so be it, I don't care what is acceptable to you, I just pointed out, as it was pointed out to me, that using the term "costume' is unacceptable, and offensive, to most pow wow dancers. You can be as tolerant of the term as you want to be, and make exceptions whereever you want.

I really have no problem with long invocations, as long as they schedule them, and have them included on the program or printed schedule. That would only be courteous to those they may not be Christian, or even Baptist, or evangelicals, not to mention the atheist, agnostics, and all those of other Faiths, even those true traditionalist who follow the Native American religions. If they put it on the printed schedule, that they were going to have a 1/4 hr., 1/2 hr., or even an hour long, invocation, that would give some the opportunity to do some shopping, even go out for a pizza. While they were handing out presents, many were out back smoking and joking, getting goodies, shopping, potty breaks, etc. I overheard one ask if they had finished giving out the presents yet. Probably the same would happen if they scheduled an hour long invocation. I guess these guys got a captive audlience, once they pay, and get their arm stamped, they have to take what comes, even if it means paying to stand for an hour or more. At least in Church, they don't charge for admission, donation only, and they let you sit down once in awhile, not standing for the entire service. I actually would prefer an invocation given by a Catholic Priest, Bishop, or the Pope, standard issue Clergy is of no interest to me, and I would hope that all would kneel, and bow, during an hour long invocation. If you couldn't accept that, or your knees wouldn't take it, they it's likely that you are disrespectful, and not at all Holier than me.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 24,032.79
Quote:
Are you suggesting that you are Holier than I? That's a pretty tall order, I'm pretty dog gone Holy.

If using the term "costumes" instead of "regalia", or something else, is acceptable to you, then so be it, I don't care what is acceptable to you, I just pointed out, as it was pointed out to me, that using the term "costume' is unacceptable, and offensive, to most pow wow dancers. You can be as tolerant of the term as you want to be, and make exceptions wherever you want.

I really have no problem with long invocations, as long as they schedule them, and have them included on the program or printed schedule. That would only be courteous to those they may not be Christian, or even Baptist, or evangelicals, not to mention the atheist, agnostics, and all those of other Faiths, even those true traditionalist who follow the Native American religions. If they put it on the printed schedule, that they were going to have a 1/4 hr., 1/2 hr., or even an hour long, invocation, that would give some the opportunity to do some shopping, even go out for a pizza. While they were handing out presents, many were out back smoking and joking, getting goodies, shopping, potty breaks, etc. I overheard one ask if they had finished giving out the presents yet. Probably the same would happen if they scheduled an hour long invocation. I guess these guys got a captive audience, once they pay, and get their arm stamped, they have to take what comes, even if it means paying to stand for an hour or more. At least in Church, they don't charge for admission, donation only, and they let you sit down once in awhile, not standing for the entire service. I actually would prefer an invocation given by a Catholic Priest, Bishop, or the Pope, standard issue Clergy is of no interest to me, and I would hope that all would kneel, and bow, during an hour long invocation. If you couldn't accept that, or your knees wouldn't take it, they it's likely that you are disrespectful, and not at all Holier than me.
Actually that is not what she is saying at all...

I too have heard the word costume by the over 50 set
Words change
Meanings change
but for some that is what they grew up with and that is what they are comfortable with who am I to "correct" them
If you feel so strongly about it go and up "correct" them with your version
LOL

As for invocation as you call it they are not scheduled per se mainly because they can be short medium or long
They pretty much go as the person who is giving it feels like and I guess that day that person at that particular time felt like talking for a while.
I have heard some last all of 30 seconds... Who is RIGHT???

As for Schedules
Well I have not been to a powwow yet that was ran like Clockwork
LOL
would not know how to act!!!
Some are well ran and others are longgg and drawn out
That is what the Powwow is about
Not Schedules
Not a chiseled in stone Program
Its about visiting
Talking with friends
About the Songs at the drum
About people standing up and talking about whatever the hell they feel like without some person giving them the speed up motion with there hands
Its about the dancing
Contesting
Its about the People
its about alot of things
But one thing its not about is TIME...
We have all the Time in the World to get done what needs done.
For Tomorrow we with have to contend with the Clock again now don't we???
Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
gtbdave

It's about time and money, I pay for something I expect the best, if not, I say something about it. Some can take it anyway they can get it, maybe it's just the way they are. If people don't care that they use the word "costumes", they should revise their rules. I don't mind using the word, it makes no difference to me. As far as invocations are concerned, make em as long as you want, use any offensive terms that you want, just let me know ahead of time so I don't have to stand there for so long. If you don't want a schedule don't put one out. Just put down that there will be a pow wow on a given time and date, and let people guess what's going to go on there and at what time. It's simple enough, pow wow, 3 days, location, come and get it. It's like anything else, movies, concerts, Church services, just show up at any of the locations, sooner or later something will happen, if you wait long enough. If I go to a movie I usually get there early in the morning, wait all day, just so I don't miss anything, same with the other stuff. Reminds me of the old story about Indian time, and showing up for work, never on Monday, maybe on Tuesday, Wednesday for sure, payday always there. The other old adage, "the customers is always right" really doesn't apply here either. The patrons are treated like they have an obligation to attend and pay for such entertainment. It makes you wonder if these same people are running other Indian enterprises like casinos, retail stores, restaurants, etc., and how they get away with treating patrons like that, maybe they don't. I'll have to mull that over next time I go to a casino, restaurant, that is Indian owned, and whether I give a tip or not. It's not like there is some kind of shortage of place to go for entertainment, or to get a nice dinner.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 24,032.79
Quote:
It's about time and money, I pay for something I expect the best, if not, I say something about it. Some can take it anyway they can get it, maybe it's just the way they are. If people don't care that they use the word "costumes", they should revise their rules. I don't mind using the word, it makes no difference to me. As far as invocations are concerned, make em as long as you want, use any offensive terms that you want, just let me know ahead of time so I don't have to stand there for so long. If you don't want a schedule don't put one out. Just put down that there will be a pow wow on a given time and date, and let people guess what's going to go on there and at what time. It's simple enough, pow wow, 3 days, location, come and get it. It's like anything else, movies, concerts, Church services, just show up at any of the locations, sooner or later something will happen, if you wait long enough. If I go to a movie I usually get there early in the morning, wait all day, just so I don't miss anything, same with the other stuff. Reminds me of the old story about Indian time, and showing up for work, never on Monday, maybe on Tuesday, Wednesday for sure, payday always there. The other old adage, "the customers is always right" really doesn't apply here either. The patrons are treated like they have an obligation to attend and pay for such entertainment. It makes you wonder if these same people are running other Indian enterprises like casinos, retail stores, restaurants, etc., and how they get away with treating patrons like that, maybe they don't. I'll have to mull that over next time I go to a casino, restaurant, that is Indian owned, and whether I give a tip or not. It's not like there is some kind of shortage of place to go for entertainment, or to get a nice dinner.
Actually I was talking about Powwows

as for paying to actually see one
Well then there are many other powwows that you dont have to pay to be "entertained"
They also feed you for free
But then some people even complain about that

Sigh...

Free Country
Go where you want
Be at peace
Sponsored Links