Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fang

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Upper Mattaponi 2016, King William, Va. Upper Mattaponi 2016, King William, Va.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
Bead Slinger

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BDI's is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 815.51
Savings: 0.00
Upper Mattaponi 2016, King William, Va.

Did the Upper Mattaponi for the 2nd time last weekend. 29th annual this year, so it's a well established pow wow. Smaller dancer turnout this year, smaller trader's village than last year. I was told that 3 years ago, Dennis Zotigh was the MC and there were several times more dancers than the past 2 years. '15 and '16 had the same lady MC, I don't remember her name.

This year and last, long time repeat vendors to this event told me that it was much smaller than it had been in years past. I wonder if pow wow attendance overall is getting to be less. People have less money to spend, for sure. Travel costs a lot. Last year I met a few people from western tribes; an Oglala Lakota from Pine Ridge, a Navajo from The Big Rez, an Apache from a rez in AZ, a few other people from west of here. This year I only saw the Apache man. No other people from out west.

Anybody else go the the Upper Mattaponi Pow Wow this year?
BDI's is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,688.35
I missed Upper Mattaponi this year. Which drums were present? I think Stoney Creek was supposed to be there and a few others. Heard a lot of Haliwa-Saponi were there too.
windanncer likes this.
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Bead Slinger

BDI's is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 815.51
Sorry, I don't know what drums were there. The way they lay it out, vendors don't have much of a view. I couldn't hear the drums, just the annoying voice of that MC. A few Haliwa-Saponi that I know were there, several of my cousins showed and repeat customers of mine from various pow wows were there. No idea who danced or anything much else. I was there to vend.
BDI's is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links