Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow Trip Reports Why so much Bad mouthing going on! Why so much Bad mouthing going on!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Cuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant futureCuppajoe has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Why so much Bad mouthing going on!

In the past i've usually kept quiet on what people say or do at Powwows/Gatherings;but now i must speak out and have my say.Recently I went to a Powwow in KY and it was a great event.A new Drum came out;a young lady came out as a Fancy Shawl Dancer,both had giveaways just like the western powwows.(yes there is a difference between eastern and western events.BTW the people that put this powwow did an excellent job and if they have one next year we will be back!!!!

One young man dressed and stood by the east gate but did not dance and when asked he said that it didnt feel right but then again it was the 3rd time I've seen him do that and his answer is always the same.A friend of mine sent me an IM of his that said no one back here knew anything about putting a powwow.In his lifetime he had been to over a 1000 powwows and put on several of the largest in OK;He went on to state that anyone who called themselves Shawnee back here were just wannabes.My friend Jack was surprised by that as he is carded.

It seems to me that people spend most of their energy on telling anyone who will listen everything that is wrong but offers no help during the planning of an event nor will they help out setting it up.On badmouths the people that are really trying to do things In a Good Way.

Then there are those that seem to be in it for the money and put on a powwow about every weekend and have nothing good to say about the people that go there.

Is there something in my way of thinking that I am missing or are events just better in other parts of the country.There are great events back here and we always try to go to them,and they are the ones we always go back to each year.

Enough of my rant just wondered if it were me or everybody else..
Cuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #2
Northern Traditional

Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 410.00
Savings: 722.45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppajoe
In the past i've usually kept quiet on what people say or do at Powwows/Gatherings;but now i must speak out and have my say.Recently I went to a Powwow in KY and it was a great event.A new Drum came out;a young lady came out as a Fancy Shawl Dancer,both had giveaways just like the western powwows.(yes there is a difference between eastern and western events.BTW the people that put this powwow did an excellent job and if they have one next year we will be back!!!!
It's good that things were done in a good way, I'm glad more and more people are learning, instead of just doing.

Quote:
One young man dressed and stood by the east gate but did not dance and when asked he said that it didnt feel right but then again it was the 3rd time I've seen him do that and his answer is always the same.A friend of mine sent me an IM of his that said no one back here knew anything about putting a powwow.In his lifetime he had been to over a 1000 powwows and put on several of the largest in OK;He went on to state that anyone who called themselves Shawnee back here were just wannabes.My friend Jack was surprised by that as he is carded.
There is a guy up here that does that, you can tell he's purchased most of his beadwork from someplace like crazy crow, he wears a goose feather in his roach, and tells people it's eagle, and wears a T shirt under his regalia.... I don't think he says he's shawnee, I think he says he's crow... I once saw him performing a publice "pipe ceremony" where he took his shoes off, wasn't the first time I've seen this, but I don't think that's a crow tradition, is it?

Anyway, when this gentlemen does it, it seems that alot of people (or at least a select few) follow suit, and usually undress. I honestly think that it's mostly when someone asks him questions about his regalia, or his 'teachings' and he gets offended, and instead of sharing, just 'has a bad feeling about the pow wow' or circle...

Quote:
Then there are those that seem to be in it for the money and put on a powwow about every weekend and have nothing good to say about the people that go there.

Is there something in my way of thinking that I am missing or are events just better in other parts of the country.There are great events back here and we always try to go to them,and they are the ones we always go back to each year.

Enough of my rant just wondered if it were me or everybody else..
There are people, and commitees that are in it for the money, most not for personal gain, but for charities... I've seen several of these, like some, don't like others...

When my family first left the western pow wows, I felt like an alien up here, songs are different, people are different, traditions and culture are different, now remember, I was about 11... It was culture shock... I'd never seen a hobbiest carry in a turkey staff in place of an eagle staff, I'd never seen men stand in honor of women dancers (cept on occasion jingle).. I'd never seen alot of things I saw up here, and some of the most common things, like water boys, weren't here... No southern music (when I first arrived), NO DRUM PROTOCOL (oh that pissed me off), and alot of other things, like, sometimes up here, after grand entry, you can expect to stay standing for another 45-60 minutes... Doesn't bother me now, but, it did then. Now, I'd bet I'd goto a southern traditional powwow, and be in culture shock again..

A few years ago, I went to flordia, and things were even more messed up (in my eyes).. and, well, I learned their customs, and teachings, and I even started feeling more at home at their events... I was invited to a sweat down that way, and not seeing the "red road" (not my place to explain, so I apologize if you do not understand) was kind of a nice shock.. My experience there was unique, and appriciated... The ways cultures sometimes differ, can have more of a vast influence than we might think... but, I don't think anyone can say that there is a RIGHT or WRONG way to hold a pow wow... We're in a melting pot of culture, and it shows alot from area to area...

Goto a traditional pow wow in your kentucky, or Tenn, then goto NC, SC, Alabama, you'll notice small, irritating changes... then goto NY, or RI, and get even more irritated... Then, take your butt to alaska... :) Then travel down to OK, then to Cali... At each pow wow you'll notice alot of differences, but you'll ALWAYS see people *****ing that the powwow isn't being done correctly...

Some people are brought up my way or the highway, and until they start having powwows, dont' worry about it :)

And no, it's not just you that notices a difference in events, we all do, the closest I've seen to a universal event are the medium and larger sized competitions... I see less tradition and teaching there, not bashing on comps, I love them to death, just sayin, you find ALOT more bs at traditional powwows, especially the ones that say "NO POLITICS" on the flyers....

lol... no politics, that basically means "If you don't agree with us, dont' show up" :)

I love some of them KY powwows tho.... The women are SMOKIN! I miss me some OK hunnies though.... whoooooweee... I think I'm going to witchi :D (is it still on the 4th?)
MSN: scifiwriter@hotmail.com
Steffan Redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
Powwow Dancer

2 Trails is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Why so much bad mouthing going on

I go to a lot of Pow-Wows every year in various parts of Tennessee and Kentucky. Each one is a little bit different, but for the most part they are done in a good way. You will see different things in different areas. For instance, most all the Cherokee ways are done almost a like. The Snowbird Cherokee may be the most traditionalist of the North Carolina Cherokee communities, do things one way and the Cherokee of the Qualla Boundry,may do thing all most but not the exactly the same. But there is some difference. The Western Band of the Cherokee do things a little bit different. So who is doing right? All of them are doing what the trible traditions are because the Cherokee Nation is made up of different tribes of Cherokee. This will mostly (not completely) be true with most of the different Nations through out North America. Those that don't understand this little tibit of information will usually say that the others are not doing it right. Oyea, I have not seen the first contest Pow-Wow in the Snowbird Community. You don't have to bad mouth a Pow-Wow because they do things different. Learn from the differences and become more knowledgeable about all Indian cultures.If my words hurt someones feelings, that was not my intent,but to only educate.
Peace

Last edited by 2 Trails; 06-06-2006 at 12:36 AM..
2 Trails is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links