PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Games and Polls (http://forums.powwows.com/f46/)
-   -   How do you like your cornbread? (http://forums.powwows.com/f46/how-do-you-like-your-cornbread-61565/)

RDNKJ 11-16-2011 12:10 PM

How do you like your cornbread?

How do y'all like your cornbread? Sweet? Or Unsweet?

Do you put anything in your cornbread? If so, what? (Creamed corn; corn kernels; jalapenos...etc).

Do you make it from scratch? Or do you use a mix?

+++++++++++++++++

Me, I like both sweet and unsweet but my preference is sweet.

No "extra" ingredients in my cornbread either!

I'll sometimes make it from scratch, but generally my pantry always has plenty of Jiffy cornbread mix!

:teeth_smi

OLChemist 11-16-2011 12:22 PM

Ok, let me be clear. I'm not just a Yankee, but I'm a damn Yankee, since I stayed. So what I do to cornbread is heresy and my southern (California) born friend hits me upside the head with her cornbread skillet when I talk about it. But....

I like sweet, with fresh butter.

I like unsweet with a nice thick browned crust all over.

I like sweet cornbread with creamed corn and green chiles added.

I like unsweet with cheddar and green chiles.

As, I said. I'm a damn Yankee, so mine comes from a box.

pigheaded 11-16-2011 12:32 PM

Unsweet, with jalapenos. searved under chili. MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm M!

Joe's Dad 11-16-2011 12:33 PM

I like mine like they made in elementary school. Only thing better was the canned spinach they served it with! :lol:

Eagle Plumes 11-16-2011 12:40 PM

unsweet, or else its cake lol I like it warm out of the oven with butter also in my beans. I love a crunchy crust to! I put a lil oil in my cast iron skillet warm it up in the oven and pour the corn bread batter in and listen to it sizzle mmmm mmm good ")

Joe's Dad 11-16-2011 12:42 PM

Y'all are making me hungry. I'm gonna go get the box! LOL

RDNKJ 11-16-2011 01:21 PM

@OLChemist

Where'd you "stay" to still be a yankee? I thought you were south of the Mason-Dixon line!

But, as we all know, the world revolves around Texas :rolleyes: so anything north of the Red River is Yankeeville. Damn Virginia Yankees, thinkin' they're all southern! :omg_smile :devil2:

jks

@Joe's Dad

No fair! We never had cornbread in the school cafeteria! We always had yeast rolls.

Mmmmmmmm! Canned spinach w/vinegar! :board_yu:

trouble 11-16-2011 01:29 PM

A Damned Yankee is one who crosses the Mason-Dixon and stays....and doesn't go back where they come from......

Cornbread- Homemade, not sweetened, nothing added to it, MUST BE REAL BUTTER

Cornbread- for the yankees I cook for , is sweet and usually gets honey and Butter (tastes like cake to me)

I make Homemade Mexican Cornbread with peppers / chillies in it....again, must have REAL BUTTER

It's ALWAYS cooked in its own cast iron skillet.....

or, I wil fry it up in little patties too for a little different taste at times...

pigheaded 11-16-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDNKJ (Post 1497596)

school cafeteria cornbread and Canned spinach

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/si...the-toilet.gif

Can tell yall gots iron guts, our school food wasn't edible at all, and quite frankly, even if they did serve cornbread, you wouldn't know it by the looks of it.

RDNKJ 11-16-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigheaded (Post 1497601)
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/si...the-toilet.gif

Can tell yall gots iron guts, our school food wasn't edible at all, and quite frankly, even if they did serve cornbread, you wouldn't know it by the looks of it.

LOL

When I was in high school, our school cafeteria was shut down by the health department!

RDNKJ 11-16-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble (Post 1497598)
A Damned Yankee is one who crosses the Mason-Dixon and stays....and doesn't go back where they come from......

Thanks, Trouble. I read OlChemist's post wrong. But then, I come from north of the Red River! :angel:

OLChemist 11-16-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDNKJ (Post 1497596)
Where'd you "stay" to still be a yankee? I thought you were south of the Mason-Dixon line!

I came south for college and grad school. After a brief and horrible stint in Boston, I went back south. While kissing the ground in the Texarkana Welcome station, I vowed the next time I went north of the Red River or east of the Mississippi for more than 10 days I was gonna be in a pine box.

Taklik tokse (sp?) anyone? When I was an undergrad, the secretary for the art department used to bring in some that her grandma made. That taste is all wrapped up with the smell of wet clay and photographic chemicals. Ahh, youth.

Grits & Beans 11-16-2011 05:08 PM

i dont know the difference between sweet and unsweet, i thought all cornbread was created equal :confused: lol

pigheaded 11-16-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits & Beans (Post 1497640)
i dont know the difference between sweet and unsweet, i thought all cornbread was created equal :confused: lol

except in the palate of the beholder. Mmmmmm taste the unsweet savory goodness. BTW unsweet is winning. WooooHoooo

uweyv 11-16-2011 05:39 PM

cornbread

i like my cornbread unsweet with butter and lots of it(:

Joe's Dad 11-16-2011 05:44 PM

Good for you eweyv! What else do you like with your cornbread?

RDNKJ 11-16-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLChemist (Post 1497634)
Taklik tokse (sp?) anyone? When I was an undergrad, the secretary for the art department used to bring in some that her grandma made. That taste is all wrapped up with the smell of wet clay and photographic chemicals. Ahh, youth.

Had to look up taklik tokse. Sour cornbread? Interesting.

Any Mvskoke/Creek who'd like to share a recipe?

I don't think I've ever had it. If I have, it was many, many, many years ago. We had Thlopthlocco (sp?) friends from around Okemah. I may have had it at one of their houses. But, if so, I don't remember - that was long ago. :smile:

trouble 11-16-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uweyv (Post 1497649)
i like my cornbread unsweet with butter and lots of it(:

welcome aboard uweyv!! Congrats on your first post!!!

uweyv 11-16-2011 05:53 PM

cornbread

i like it with whatever food is around when its made :p

Joe's Dad 11-16-2011 05:55 PM

hahaaa

Now are you gonna introduce yourself a little. You're surrounded by good people here