Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you like your cornbread? Sweet or Unsweet?
Sweet. Ya can't make cornbread without sugar! 6 42.86%
Unsweet. I like cornbread, not corn cake! 3 21.43%
'S all good! Either one is fine by me! 5 35.71%
Cornbread? What's that? You can make bread with corn? 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Games and Polls How do you like your cornbread? How do you like your cornbread?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #41
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Savings: 0.00
When the weather gets a little bit cooler, I'm looking forward to beans and cornbread! Gotta have vinegar for the beans, too!
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #42
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,323.85
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNKJ View Post
When the weather gets a little bit cooler, I'm looking forward to beans and cornbread! Gotta have vinegar for the beans, too!
vinegar and beans? what kind of beans? and how much vinegar?

"Life is too short to not take the time to laugh” ~AME~
"Who can afford NOT to laugh at themselves?" ~AME~
"I laugh the most when i laugh at myself!” ~AME~
"Laughter is'nt really "the best medicine"...it’s the CURE!” ~AME~
"Give me a good laugh,... and i will give you my world!” ~AME~

**laughin**
APACHEFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #43
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
APACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond reputeAPACHEFIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
I like mine like they made in elementary school. Only thing better was the canned spinach they served it with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigheaded View Post

Can tell yall gots iron guts, our school food wasn't edible at all, and quite frankly, even if they did serve cornbread, you wouldn't know it by the looks of it.
Quote:
LOL

When I was in high school, our school cafeteria was shut down by the health department!
school cafeteria food…..sounds like a new thread/poll to me.

**laughin**
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #44
Lion of Judah

RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by APACHEFIRE View Post
canned spinach had to have lots of salt and cider vinegar! only way my mom could get us to eat it. popeye or no popeye! i dont recall ever having cornbread of any kind in school.
I've always loved spinach. Fresh is better - but canned is fine! Sometimes I want it sauteed in butter and garlic, sometims heated up from the can w/plenty of vinegar. Yummm!

Quote:
the only really good thing that came out of the school cafe was those huge peanut butter, or chocolate cookies and the brownies! yummy!
I liked the peanut butter cookies best!

Quote:
you pullin muh leg? i didnt eat much at the cafe in high school. i only liked the cinnamon rolls…oh DANG! were those great! but in jr.high i loved the hambergers and the mashed taters with brown gravy! i still crave that tasted.
Nope, not pullin' your leg! The cafeteria served both the Jr. High and High Schools. I ate there in Jr. High, but I was in high school when it was shut down. It was terrible. Even the teachers wouldn't eat there.

In high school, once I had a car I never set foot in the cafeteria again. Didn't go to the high school snack bar either. We had open campus. So I'd go to Dairy Queen or get something at the U-Tote-M (sorry, but that was the name of the convenience store ), sometimes Ken's Pizza.

But, yeah, I liked the same things ApacheFire. I never liked the gross cheese pizza, though. Didn't like the stew, either. But that was in elementary and middle school. The Jr. High/High School cafeteria was just plain gross!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #45
Lion of Judah

Quote:
vinegar and beans? what kind of beans? and how much vinegar?
White, Navy, Great Northern

Not a lot of vinegar. Just to taste. I like to put 2 - 3 teaspoons on a bowl of beans. Just enough to give 'em a little tang!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #46
AH LOVE LAUGHIN!

Quote:
I've always loved spinach. Fresh is better - but canned is fine! Sometimes I want it sauteed in butter and garlic, sometims heated up from the can w/plenty of vinegar. Yummm!

I liked the peanut butter cookies best!

Nope, not pullin' your leg! The cafeteria served both the Jr. High and High Schools. I ate there in Jr. High, but I was in high school when it was shut down. It was terrible. Even the teachers wouldn't eat there.

In high school, once I had a car I never set foot in the cafeteria again. Didn't go to the high school snack bar either. We had open campus. So I'd go to Dairy Queen or get something at the U-Tote-M (sorry, but that was the name of the convenience store ), sometimes Ken's Pizza.

But, yeah, I liked the same things ApacheFire. I never liked the gross cheese pizza, though. Didn't like the stew, either. But that was in elementary and middle school. The Jr. High/High School cafeteria was just plain gross!
you know…although i had a car part of the time, i never went off campus….i also only ate from the cafe maybe twice, and only for breakfast. i was too shy to wade through all the other students. mostly i just hung around by myself, walking here and there or hiding some place quiet. can you imagine a super shy high school girl ever wearing HOT PANTS? yep, i did. i believe i just skipped lunch and hung around in the health teachers room. she opened it to kids like me. no friends and too shy to make any.

**laughin**
Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #47
pigheaded

Quote:
Yeah, well...no one's voting either! 104 views and only 4 votes!
Oh, who cares, lol. So long as unsweet wins.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #48
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
I voted for sweet!
Love it with a golden brown around the edges and smeared in butter and honey.
As for all this other stuff you folks are doing to cornbread? like chillis and beans and stuff........
I had no idea you could commit such blasphemy to cornbread.~LOL
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #49
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,766.96
Quote:
Aw, hayll no! Like I said, I prefer sweet, but there isn't anything wrong with unsweet - it can be a thing of beauty!

In my experience sweet cornbread uses a finer grind of cornmeal, and is very cake-like. The unsweet kind uses a coarser grind, is "spongier" and holds together better than the sweet kind.

But then, there're as many different cornbread recipes as there are southern cooks!

How you been, G&B? Haven't seen you around much!
i been aight, just waiting another 5, 6 months before i can thaw out

Quote:
G&B! How u been?
hi jd! tell me how nice it is over there so i can be jealous

Quote:
Is Jiffy Mix considered cornbread?
jiffy mix is the only cornbread i know
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #50
Lion of Judah

Quote:
you know…although i had a car part of the time, i never went off campus….i also only ate from the cafe maybe twice, and only for breakfast. i was too shy to wade through all the other students. mostly i just hung around by myself, walking here and there or hiding some place quiet. can you imagine a super shy high school girl ever wearing HOT PANTS? yep, i did. i believe i just skipped lunch and hung around in the health teachers room. she opened it to kids like me. no friends and too shy to make any.
It was just too much of a hassle to use the high school snack bar. By the time ya got your food, lunch was almost over. Just not worth it, especially when I could go off campus to get something.

Back then if I didn't leave campus, I'd be in the parking lot smoking cigs. or driving around smoking, er, other things.

Hot pants?! Hmmm. SoCal must've had much more relaxed dress codes than small-town Oklahoma. No hotpants in my school. Absolutely verboten!

But I know what ya mean, ApacheFire. Back when I was a kid, I was painfully shy. To this day, if I don't know you it can be hard to get me to open up!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #51
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
I had no idea you could commit such blasphemy to cornbread.~LOL
When the site lets me, you're gonna get some green for that! Don't put stuff in my cornbread! lol

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm looking forward to having beans along with cornbread. I don't put beans in my cornbread!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #52
...more than a feeling...

~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 982.39
I am so southern.. loves cornbread anyway you make it..

favorite is sweet cornbread with jalapenos
also with corn,
with chili,
with lots of fresh butter,

and like my daddy taught me.. sweet hot cornbread with butter in a bowl and pour milk over it.. nom nom nom... a little more sweet and you have dessert.
~Journey~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #53
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
I like sweet cornbread with jalepeno's and bacon stirred in to the batter and cooked crispy around the edges!! yum
Sour cornbread made with sour cream is pretty good, too!!
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #54
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Journey~ View Post
and like my daddy taught me.. sweet hot cornbread with butter in a bowl and pour milk over it.. nom nom nom... a little more sweet and you have dessert.
Us too! Mom likes it with buttermilk (yech) - but regular milk for me.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #55
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigheaded View Post
Oh, who cares, lol. So long as unsweet wins.
Not anymore! Sweet's winning now! lol
Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #56
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,021.62
Sweet is leading. Good. I like it sweet, with nothing else in it.I use solid Crisco to grease the pan with because I like my crust a little softer. Also love real butter with it. I add about a tbls. of sugar to my batter. Main rule around my house is that I wash the cornbread skillet and if you cook anything other than cornbread in it, I will smack you upside the head with said skillet. I use the same basic recipe when I make cornbread, but it always comes out different. One thing I learned from an aunt of mine, if you gently shake the skillet after you add the batter, it will get the air bubbles out of the batter and the cornbread won't be so crumbly.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #57
...more than a feeling...

~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute~Journey~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 982.39
Ya, you have to use cast iron. Just makes it better somehow.
I have started using my cast iron more and more lately, those not stick, stainless things cant hold a candle to cast iron.
I make the best fried chicken in my biggest one, ymmmy,
and you cant ruin the seasoning by washing, laws no!
~Journey~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #58
pigheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnkj View Post
not anymore! Sweet's winning now! Lol
doh!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #59
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
wat does doh mean?

by the way= SWEET IS WINNING!
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #60
pigheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
wat does doh mean?

by the way= SWEET IS WINNING!

Come People, we can't let these corn cake eaters win.
Sponsored Links