Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree79Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat > Games and Polls Questions only Questions only

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #6021
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
E-snaggers? how does that work? is it like snagging with the letter e? Eh?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #6022
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSilver
:lol2:

Electronic Snagger!

Good handle for someone! :D If anyone uses that name please let me know awkay? I am deemed the namesake now aint that right???

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #6023
chahta nakni

chahta nakni is an unknown quantity at this point
Ancient Indian Settlement Found in Utah

Halito to all you natives out there, i just read this story, and i don't know about you, but im really mad about this story. They have been doing this to our homes for centuries, so my question is, why do they treat our homes like tourist sites, why can't they just let our ancestores live in peace. Let me know what you think.

By PAUL FOY, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - For more than 50 years, rancher Waldo Wilcox kept most outsiders off his land and the secret under wraps: a string of ancient Indian settlements so remarkably well-preserved that arrowheads and beads are still lying out in the open.
Archaeologists are calling it one of the most spectacular finds in the West.

Hidden deep inside Utah's nearly inaccessible Book Cliffs region, 130 miles from Salt Lake City, the prehistoric villages run for 12 miles and include hundreds of rock art panels, cliffside granaries, stone houses built halfway underground, rock shelters, and the mummified remains of long-ago inhabitants.

The site was occupied for at least 3,000 years until it abandoned more than 1,000 years ago, when the Fremont people mysteriously vanished.

What sets this ancient site apart from other, better-known ones in Utah, Arizona or Colorado is that it has been left virtually untouched by looters, with the ground still littered with arrowheads, arrow shafts, beads and pottery shards in places.

"It was just like walking into a different world," said Utah state archaeologist Kevin Jones, who was overcome on his first visit in 2002.

Wilcox, 74, said: "It's like being the first white man in there, the way I kept it. There's no place like it left."

The secret is only now coming to light, after the federal and state governments paid Wilcox $2.5 million for the 4,200-acre ranch, which is surrounded by wilderness study lands. The state took ownership earlier this year but has not decided yet how to control public access.

"It's a national treasure. There may not be another place like it in the continental 48 states," Duncan Metcalfe, a curator with the Utah Museum of Natural History, said Thursday by satellite phone from the site.

Metcalfe said a team of researchers has documented about 200 pristine sites occupied as many as 4,500 years ago, "and we've only looked in a few places."

Wilcox said some skeletons have been exposed by shifting winds under dry ledges. "They were little people, the ones I've seen dug up. They were wrapped like Egyptians, in strips of beaver skin and cedar board, preserved as perfect," he said.

The Fremont, a collection of hunter-gatherers and farmers, preceded more modern American Indian tribes on the Colorado Plateau.

Archaeologists believe the sites may have been first occupied as much as 7,000 years ago; they could shed light on the earliest inhabitants of North America, who are believed to have arrived by way of the Bering Strait about 10,000 years ago.

The settlements are along the Range Creek, which sustained ancient people in the canyon until it possibly dried up in a drought, Wilcox said.

These days, the creek runs year-round, abundant with trout and shaded by cottonwood and box elder trees. Douglas fir covers the canyon sides. The canyon would have been rich in wildlife: elk, deer, bighorn sheep, bear, mountain lions, wild turkeys all animals that Wilcox said are still around, but in lesser numbers because of hunters.

"I didn't let people go in there to destroy it," said Wilcox, whose parents bought the ranch in 1951 and threw up a gate to the rugged canyon. "The less people know about this, the better."

Over the years, Wilcox occasionally welcomed archaeologists to inspect part of the canyon, "but we'd watch 'em." When one Kent State researcher used a pick ax to take a pigment sample from a pictograph, Wilcox "took the pick from him and took him out of the gate."

Although the University of Utah hired a seasonal caretaker and students from three Utah schools are working the sites this summer, Wilcox worries about looting.

He said he gave up the land on a promise of protection from the San Francisco-based Trust for Public Land, which transferred the ranch to public ownership.

The promise barely assured Wilcox, but he said he knew one thing: "I'm getting old and couldn't take care of it." He said he asked $4 million for the ranch but settled for $2.5 million, moved to Green River and retired.

It was not until 2002 that archaeologists realized the full significance of Range Creek.

While many structures are still standing or visible, others could be buried. Archaeologists have not done any excavations yet, simply because "we have too big a task just to document" sites in plain view, Jones said.

After The Associated Press started inquiring, Metcalfe decided to hasten an announcement.

Next week, he plans to take news organizations to the ranch, which is 30 miles off the nearest paved highway over rough, mountainous terrain. A gate inside Range Creek canyon blocks access; from there a dirt road continues about 14 miles down the canyon to a ranch house, now a hub of archaeological activity.
chahta nakni is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2004, 02:48 AM   #6024
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahta nakni
Halito to all you natives out there, i just read this story, and i don't know about you, but im really mad about this story. They have been doing this to our homes for centuries, so my question is, why do they treat our homes like tourist sites, why can't they just let our ancestores live in peace. Let me know what you think.

By PAUL FOY, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - For more than 50 years, rancher Waldo Wilcox kept most outsiders off his land and the secret under wraps: a string of ancient Indian settlements so remarkably well-preserved that arrowheads and beads are still lying out in the open.
Archaeologists are calling it one of the most spectacular finds in the West.

Hidden deep inside Utah's nearly inaccessible Book Cliffs region, 130 miles from Salt Lake City, the prehistoric villages run for 12 miles and include hundreds of rock art panels, cliffside granaries, stone houses built halfway underground, rock shelters, and the mummified remains of long-ago inhabitants.

The site was occupied for at least 3,000 years until it abandoned more than 1,000 years ago, when the Fremont people mysteriously vanished.

What sets this ancient site apart from other, better-known ones in Utah, Arizona or Colorado is that it has been left virtually untouched by looters, with the ground still littered with arrowheads, arrow shafts, beads and pottery shards in places.

"It was just like walking into a different world," said Utah state archaeologist Kevin Jones, who was overcome on his first visit in 2002.

Wilcox, 74, said: "It's like being the first white man in there, the way I kept it. There's no place like it left."

The secret is only now coming to light, after the federal and state governments paid Wilcox $2.5 million for the 4,200-acre ranch, which is surrounded by wilderness study lands. The state took ownership earlier this year but has not decided yet how to control public access.

"It's a national treasure. There may not be another place like it in the continental 48 states," Duncan Metcalfe, a curator with the Utah Museum of Natural History, said Thursday by satellite phone from the site.

Metcalfe said a team of researchers has documented about 200 pristine sites occupied as many as 4,500 years ago, "and we've only looked in a few places."

Wilcox said some skeletons have been exposed by shifting winds under dry ledges. "They were little people, the ones I've seen dug up. They were wrapped like Egyptians, in strips of beaver skin and cedar board, preserved as perfect," he said.

The Fremont, a collection of hunter-gatherers and farmers, preceded more modern American Indian tribes on the Colorado Plateau.

Archaeologists believe the sites may have been first occupied as much as 7,000 years ago; they could shed light on the earliest inhabitants of North America, who are believed to have arrived by way of the Bering Strait about 10,000 years ago.

The settlements are along the Range Creek, which sustained ancient people in the canyon until it possibly dried up in a drought, Wilcox said.

These days, the creek runs year-round, abundant with trout and shaded by cottonwood and box elder trees. Douglas fir covers the canyon sides. The canyon would have been rich in wildlife: elk, deer, bighorn sheep, bear, mountain lions, wild turkeys all animals that Wilcox said are still around, but in lesser numbers because of hunters.

"I didn't let people go in there to destroy it," said Wilcox, whose parents bought the ranch in 1951 and threw up a gate to the rugged canyon. "The less people know about this, the better."

Over the years, Wilcox occasionally welcomed archaeologists to inspect part of the canyon, "but we'd watch 'em." When one Kent State researcher used a pick ax to take a pigment sample from a pictograph, Wilcox "took the pick from him and took him out of the gate."

Although the University of Utah hired a seasonal caretaker and students from three Utah schools are working the sites this summer, Wilcox worries about looting.

He said he gave up the land on a promise of protection from the San Francisco-based Trust for Public Land, which transferred the ranch to public ownership.

The promise barely assured Wilcox, but he said he knew one thing: "I'm getting old and couldn't take care of it." He said he asked $4 million for the ranch but settled for $2.5 million, moved to Green River and retired.

It was not until 2002 that archaeologists realized the full significance of Range Creek.

While many structures are still standing or visible, others could be buried. Archaeologists have not done any excavations yet, simply because "we have too big a task just to document" sites in plain view, Jones said.

After The Associated Press started inquiring, Metcalfe decided to hasten an announcement.

Next week, he plans to take news organizations to the ranch, which is 30 miles off the nearest paved highway over rough, mountainous terrain. A gate inside Range Creek canyon blocks access; from there a dirt road continues about 14 miles down the canyon to a ranch house, now a hub of archaeological activity.
So what was the question again?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:54 AM   #6025
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numunu1971
So what was the question again?

:lol2:

Old 06-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #6026
junkyarddog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSilver
You didn't know about esnag? Where you been hiding, all your protected life? You hadn't heard about powwows.com esnag dating service where you can find a guy or a gal to bethe center of your attention? damn,look all the fun you missing out on.Guys outnumbered like 6 to 1 by gals,so iofin you a guy go find your 6 :) :devil
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2004, 08:41 PM   #6027
Married Wardancer!!

Items PresentPresent
eyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond repute
eyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,822.81
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyarddog
You didn't know about esnag? Where you been hiding, all your protected life? You hadn't heard about powwows.com esnag dating service where you can find a guy or a gal to bethe center of your attention? damn,look all the fun you missing out on.Guys outnumbered like 6 to 1 by gals,so iofin you a guy go find your 6 :) :devil
LMAO!! :hey!: did you get your six?????????

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, laying in hospitals, dying of nothing....

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

Four things you can't recover:

The stone........after the throw. The word........after it's said.

The occasion...........after it's missed. The time.........after it's gone.
eyesrbrown4areason is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #6028
junkyarddog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesrbrown4areason
LMAO!! :hey!: did you get your six?????????
Hey you think I gonna kiss and tell? You trying to cook my fury carcass? Lets just say since country joe got claimed the junkyard got nicer,smell good, awful cute company coming round now. :rofl2: But I still available for adopting if ya wanna adopt me, I done had my shots, a bath last month, and I got papers to :) :devil
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #6029
PowWows.com Addicts

So, whats new with all of you???

Old 06-29-2004, 12:46 AM   #6030
Senior Dancer

RedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant futureRedSilver has a brilliant future
Same oh, same oh, just messing around so how is everyone doing?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #6031
PowWows.com Addicts

I am doing just fine! Had a great day today and I can feel much of my stress leaving because we are ending the audit in the next couple of days.! yahoooooooo! Isn't that nice???

Old 06-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #6032
2spirit "Str8" dancer

WisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond repute
WisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond reputeWisconsinBlackBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,600.00
How nice should it be?
When you are born into this world you reach for either a bow and quiver, which is blessed by the Sun, our Grandfather, or you reach for an awl and sewing bag, which is blessed by the moon, our Grandmother. From that time on you will follow that vision and be blessed.
WisconsinBlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #6033
Teen Dancer

Sophie is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
I am doing just fine! Had a great day today and I can feel much of my stress leaving because we are ending the audit in the next couple of days.! yahoooooooo! Isn't that nice???
:clapping: yeah! ru going to celebrate?
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #6034
PowWow Woman

NdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond reputeNdNMoMMieoF2 has a reputation beyond repute
Could i come celebrate with you guys?? lol

In life you have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince.

Life is a stage we all play a part
NdNMoMMieoF2 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #6035
Senior Dancer

Hey let's throw a party, where should we go? I'll bring the margarita's, how does blueberry flavor sound?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #6036
PowWows.com Addicts

sounds wonderful!!!

Bring it on......lets partayyy. I love to dance, does anyone else?????

Old 07-01-2004, 11:00 PM   #6037
commander bun-bun

Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
me, me, I love to dance does any one know how to swing dance?

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2004, 01:21 AM   #6038
Senior Dancer

I do, I do Ginger, let's jutterbug. LoL. However I must ask for the dance after I come back. Going up to New Mexico for the weekend. I'll be back on Monday. Is anyone doing anything this weekend? BTW yall have a happy 4th of July, Eh?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:41 AM   #6039
PowWows.com Addicts

uniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond reputeuniquek3 has a reputation beyond repute
:Wave hey ya'll, haven't really been online lately, how are ya'll doing??
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 AM   #6040
PowWows.com Addicts

TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
TurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond reputeTurtleWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,511.60
Hi everyone! :hey!: How's it going? It's been VERY busy here, but we're having a great time... just dropped in to say Hello to my buds.

No one "makes us" feel anything, we choose to feel, act, and react the way we do. ~~Nino's Philosophy

I am not the Creator and therefore cannot "save" anyone. The path one walks is between the individual and the creator; not to be judged by me. ~TurtleWoman
TurtleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links